Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX10 Dingo Kit Center Diff assembly issue (maybe wrong parts?)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 12:47 PM   #1

Default SCX10 Dingo Kit Center Diff assembly issue (maybe wrong parts?)

Hello - long time lurker here.

I'm putting together an Axial SCX10 Dingo kit, and I've hit a snag assembling the center diff (the one in the tranny).

According to the instructions the following four parts should be assembled together:
AX30435-003 (Out-drive half)
AX30435-001 (Out-drive half)
AX80010 (Center Diff Gear)
AX80009[5] (Plastic Shaft)

It looks like the center shaft (AX80009[5]) is supposed to fit through the diff gear (AX80010) and into the out-drives so they can be sandwiched together on the diff gear.

In my kit, the plastic shaft is too large to fit into the metal out-drives, so the out-drive halves are not close enough together for the screws to reach. Plus - the diff gear would wobble unless the center shaft and out-drives are connected.

Here are some photos showing the parts that came with my kit:

So I have two questions:
1. Do you agree that something is wrong here, or is this operator error?
2. Has anyone else seen this issue?

Thanks.

-R

Last edited by RacerR; 01-28-2014 at 01:04 PM.
RacerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2014, 01:22 PM   #2

Default Re: SCX10 Dingo Kit Center Diff assembly issue (maybe wrong parts?)

i had the same issue. i left the piece in question out. because there are no balls in that diff, and the 3 screws goes thru the center diff gear. it's supposed to be 100% locked anyways. thus far i've had no issues.

but i'd be interested to hear what the experts say.
chillindrdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:02 PM   #3

I had the same problem. I left it out. I have had zero problems with mine.
ez00tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:33 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I left it out as well. It was a new step since the last time I built an SCX. I also replaced the final gear with a machined unit from Robinson Racing.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

That plastic piece was meant to go in between the old aluminum outdrives. Not sure why they still include it or haven't updated the manual. The newer steel outdrives are plenty strong whereas the old hollow aluminum ones would shear off if the wind caught it just right.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:39 PM   #6
RCC Addict

The spacer was used with the old style out-drives with the flat for the old style drive shafts.

If you look at the JK or G6 kit instructions, the spacer has been removed from the step. Looks like the spacer got missed when they updated the instructions for the Dingo.

I would let Axial support know about it.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:11 PM   #7

Thanks for the responses. I'll send an email over to Axial to inform them in case they are not aware of the misprint.

-R
RacerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:42 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerR View Post
Hello - long time lurker here.

I'm putting together an Axial SCX10 Dingo kit, and I've hit a snag assembling the center diff (the one in the tranny).

According to the instructions the following four parts should be assembled together:
AX30435-003 (Out-drive half)
AX30435-001 (Out-drive half)
AX80010 (Center Diff Gear)
AX80009[5] (Plastic Shaft)

It looks like the center shaft (AX80009[5]) is supposed to fit through the diff gear (AX80010) and into the out-drives so they can be sandwiched together on the diff gear.

In my kit, the plastic shaft is too large to fit into the metal out-drives, so the out-drive halves are not close enough together for the screws to reach. Plus - the diff gear would wobble unless the center shaft and out-drives are connected.

Here are some photos showing the parts that came with my kit:

So I have two questions:
1. Do you agree that something is wrong here, or is this operator error?
2. Has anyone else seen this issue?

Thanks.

-R
I'm having this same problem installing Axial AX30435 Steel outdrive shaft set with Robinson Racing #1540 Hardened aluminum diff gear, without plastic spacer AX80009, the bottom tranny gear does not properly center with the steel outdrives. The holes in the diff gear that the three 2x6mm screws holding it all together fit through are very loose on the screws! I have Axial AX30708 Steel locked transmission gear set too and that diff gear is tighter fit on the three screws, but still does NOT CENTER PROPERLY, what's up wiht that?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:38 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

The spacer isnt needed at all. Ive recently built both the G6 kit and this dingo kit and its a misprint. Well they haven't even updated the manual for the dingo at all. They updated the outdrives and thats it on it. I hope this helps out. ;)
CodesEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:08 PM   #10
I joined the Band!

My new Dingo kit has the same manual and unusable part reference. There are a few other errors in the manual as well, not really a bug deal but annoying none the less. This bushing is supposed to help keep the diff gear centered with the outdrives, apparently they chose to change the outdrives and that bushing is no longer used. I'll be making a bushing to fit the outdrives and gear next time I have to go into the transmission. I believe it needs this part for the transmission to operate smoothly and quietly. Without it the gear can be bolted down a little off center causing a little noise and a little drag in the transmission. Of course it may not make any difference at all after the truck has a few packs through and everything in the drivetrain settle in a bit.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote

SCX10 Dingo Kit Center Diff assembly issue (maybe wrong parts?) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please critique my parts list for scx10 dingo kit BubbaEinstein Newbie General 12 03-12-2012 04:55 PM
Did I order the wrong parts? Knuckle/stub issue lowslowTJ Axial Wraith 4 10-09-2011 08:29 PM