Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: RC4WD CMS on short wheel base...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 03:20 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default RC4WD CMS on short wheel base...

I've searched and have been reading different posts on rc4wd's new cms kit. So far, I've discovered that it is intended solely for the honcho wheel base rigs of 12.3 inches.. I have the original kit form of the scx10 with the 11.4 inch wb.. What has got me somewhat puzzled is can the kit be used with the shorter wb just by building a new top link that is 15 mm shorter, or is there more to it? Any help would be awesome!
Corey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2014, 06:41 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: RC4WD CMS on short wheel base...

I put mine on a 12.3 WB and some of the brackets and mounts go in the c channel of the frame rail and shock hoops. If I'm correct the 11.3 vehicles have the hoops brought in closer to the center and the frame rails are shaped a bit differently so it might cause fitment issues. What I have going on with my scx10 is stock honcho front links and shorter rear links in the back so I'm at about a 12" WB.

Here is a link to my install of the cms kit. It starts on post #32
Matts scx10 action!

I hope that helps, the kit it awesome by the way!
Matthewboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:13 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewboerner View Post
I put mine on a 12.3 WB and some of the brackets and mounts go in the c channel of the frame rail and shock hoops. If I'm correct the 11.3 vehicles have the hoops brought in closer to the center and the frame rails are shaped a bit differently so it might cause fitment issues. What I have going on with my scx10 is stock honcho front links and shorter rear links in the back so I'm at about a 12" WB.

Here is a link to my install of the cms kit. It starts on post #32
Matts scx10 action!

I hope that helps, the kit it awesome by the way!
No, Axial SCX frame rails are all the same. Only the shock hoop mount positions and suspension links lengths change for the different versions of this chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
I've searched and have been reading different posts on rc4wd's new cms kit. So far, I've discovered that it is intended solely for the honcho wheel base rigs of 12.3 inches.. I have the original kit form of the scx10 with the 11.4 inch wb.. What has got me somewhat puzzled is can the kit be used with the shorter wb just by building a new top link that is 15 mm shorter, or is there more to it? Any help would be awesome!
Changing suspension links length and possibly bending/making your own panhard link are all it should require to work with different wheelbase.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:37 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Ok, thanks for the help guys! I guess I'll pick one up and give it a shot. I'll be sure to post up what I finally end up having to do!

Well, went a ahead and picked up the kit. The only thing that needed to be done was to build a new upper link. I used the rod ends that came with the kit and cut my 3mm allthread to 91mm and the aluminum tubing to 63mm. Put it all together and it works like a dream! Absolutely NO bump steer and NO side shifting of the axle during suspension cycle.

Last edited by THX_138; 01-29-2016 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:42 AM   #5

Looks nice, have you tried crawling with it yet? Is it any different?
viet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:39 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by viet View Post
Looks nice, have you tried crawling with it yet? Is it any different?
Haven't tried crawling with it yet... still waiting on parts to get this thing goin again... The only hiccup I might see is that when the driver side is flexed, the panhard hits the diff. I only loose maybe a 1/4 inch of travel, but im sure that could be fixed by just building a bent link to replace it.

I was quite impressed with how smooth it went together. Not to mention, they leave you with quite a bit of extra hardware and a couple extra rod ends!

Last edited by THX_138; 01-29-2016 at 09:28 AM.

RC4WD CMS on short wheel base... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 Short Wheel Base. The Summit VCX16 OhioGuy82 Axial SCX-10 3 02-19-2014 07:23 PM
Short wheel base drivetrain solutions. ranger4xlt Axial SCX-10 4 11-28-2012 08:46 AM
xr 10 with 2009 Jeep rubicon short wheel base body dusty sweep 2.2 Scale Rigs 3 11-23-2011 11:12 PM
Hows this for short wheel base? murdock Chit Chat 0 06-11-2011 12:08 PM