Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: 2nd-hand SCX 10 Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2014, 08:47 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default 2nd-hand SCX 10 Build

So I was in the market for a crawler of some sort, and ended up finding a pretty good deal on a SCX 10 in Classifieds and Pulled the trigger. I think I got a pretty good deal and am very happy with it.

It has been snowing like crazy here lately, and between plowing, and work and the overtime I haven't really had much time to mess with it. Of course I have to play with it in the snow.

The whole reason I started looking for a Crawler is to play around with a friend and his poison spider Wraith.

Today I was able to finally spend a little time on it, cleaning up wiring, and figuring everything out. I also got to install a Trailer hitch on it that I won from TorqueRCtrailers.com Which I think ads a lot, and will look a lot better once I get some different bumpers.

4door5speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2014, 08:49 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: 2nd-hand SCX 10 Build

I still have to make a list of what exactly is on it as I don't have it written down. But this thing came loaded, and, and the previous owner threw in everything I could possibly need.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:56 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Looks like you got a good clean used truck to start with. I bought my truck 2nd hand a couple years ago. Best way to start with out paying full price. There are a ton of free mods that can make some noticeable difference in the performance of you rig. Just read through the stickies at the top of this section.
AZINDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:59 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Nice looking rig, welcome to the addiction!
TrailSnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:12 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the welcome. It will be a addiction I can tell. I used to race buggies and stadium trucks many years ago, I was addicted then I'm sure this will be no different.

I am slowly reading everything I can about hopping this thing up on the cheap and will be following along with envy ones tips and advice.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:16 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Your in the right place for info!!

Check out my rockrod build thread in this section, it will give ya an idea of where I have got to trying to be cheap & creative.
AZINDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:22 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

So I finally was able to run it today and get a full battery thru it. I ended out stripping out the stock axial plastic servo horn. I found another one in the parts box but it is not long enough. I was searching the forum and found a couple suggestions, but am unsure as I need it to be as long as the stock axial, or even longer, otherwise I hit my frame during full lock left hand turns. This is the one I am looking at, any thoughts on length?

servo horn
Old 02-16-2014, 05:42 PM   #8

wow man seems like a nice rig. id try repositioning the whole servo and see if the servo horn you already have will work
2HicksRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:46 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

that horn should work, I moved my servo to the chassis with a rc4wd CMS/panhard kit. I love the results!
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:11 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Man that panhard kit is pretty nice, now I've got some thinking to do.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:16 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Wow, it's been over 6 months since I posted. Gotta love the busy season work wise. Well things have slowed down, and I figured I would check in. Anyway, long story short, my loving wife bought a pro-line cherokee body, and had is painted exactly like my 1:1: wheeler by her uncle who is a scale airplane hobbyist. that thing is sweet. But the only problem is the wheel base does not line up. Apparently I have a Honcho and I need a Dingo to make it work. After about a hour and a half of reading every cherokee thread I could find, do I just need dingo links to line up the wheel base? Also any suggestions on a decent aluminum set out there?

thanks
Old 09-24-2014, 04:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4door5speed View Post
Wow, it's been over 6 months since I posted. Gotta love the busy season work wise. Well things have slowed down, and I figured I would check in. Anyway, long story short, my loving wife bought a pro-line cherokee body, and had is painted exactly like my 1:1: wheeler by her uncle who is a scale airplane hobbyist. that thing is sweet. But the only problem is the wheel base does not line up. Apparently I have a Honcho and I need a Dingo to make it work. After about a hour and a half of reading every cherokee thread I could find, do I just need dingo links to line up the wheel base? Also any suggestions on a decent aluminum set out there?

thanks
Axial makes a link kit but you can also make them yourself with some all thread and some hollow aluminum tubing. Get whatever rod ends you want and you're all set. It cost me right around $25-30 for everything
FlexinFL is offline   Reply With Quote

2nd-hand SCX 10 Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
purchasing wraith 2nd hand tonight need help SlomoCrawlz Axial Wraith 8 02-20-2013 09:02 PM
steering/servo help on a new 2nd hand purchase jordzan Axial Wraith 3 01-24-2013 08:27 PM
which one better, Futaba 3PM-MX or 2nd hand 3PK? JonehRC Newbie General 7 02-06-2010 10:11 PM
My 2nd hand BERG mchester EnRoute Berg 13 09-22-2008 10:09 AM