Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: x-trail scx build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2014, 12:46 PM   #1

Default x-trail scx build

Starting with a chopped scx10 frame and a set of vanquish axles. Relocated the shock mounts and made new carbon fiber rear upper link mounts to give it an anti-squat effect and move the roll center forward just a hair. Also went with a vanquish trans case and dig unit with rc4wd internals. The rear upper links are rc4wd 30 degree bent aluminum and the rear lowers are VP xr10 lower links. This stretched my rear out and is going to allow me to run shorter links in the front which pushes my motor and transmission weight forward. Still keeping a 12.5 inch wheel base. Axial comp shocks and punisher shafts (yea, they are heavy, but this is more of a all purpose trail/rock rig. I'll be running a lager lipo and wanted something that can handle my horrible driving skills)
Attached Images

Last edited by dieseldee; 02-18-2014 at 01:59 PM.
dieseldee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2014, 02:02 PM   #2

Default Re: x-trail scx build

Got the front end hooked up. Did a little Houdini move and reversed an ax10 servo mount from VP and then mounted the servo backwards. This enabled me to go with a behind the axle steering. Front lower links are wraith high clearance from VP. The tops are front lower xr10 links. The links are on the outside of the chassis because of the off centered wraith axles.
Attached Images

Last edited by dieseldee; 02-19-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:25 PM   #3

Using and fxr ESC pushing a 27t Holmes hobby trail master pro. Battery tray is off a losi nigh crawler. I used a vanquish sxc servo mount and a wraith rear axle shock/link mount to attach the battery tray to the front shock post of my rig. Worked great. Fxr was attached to a castle BEC and then dipped in plastic-dip to water proof everything. I'll install that on a carbon fiber tray I made that is 1" x 2" located in front of the battery tray ..
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2014, 07:03 PM   #4

Well now time to make the bumper I suppose. I went ahead and made one out of some carbon fiber and some derlin links I cut off a Diablo shafty chassis I bought long ago. And used it for what it was only good for... parts
Attached Images

Last edited by dieseldee; 02-20-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:32 AM   #5

Got up early this morning before classes and installed my receiver. I was trying to mount the receiver upfront by the ESC and just above peak flex point of the steering servo, however, there just wasn't enough room. It fit, just might have been hit of took a pounding when I crash as much as I do. So I just used a traxxas servo box and mounted above the dig unit. theres really no weight to the receiver, so I didn't worry about the mid chassis placement I had to go with. I have some TSL s-swampers on for mocha up, but I'm gonna go with a set of shaved sadonas with a set of CI foams made for 6.0's. .. firm in rear and med in front. Won't use the very outer tuning ring as this makes them just to hard. Keep in mind though, this is a trail truck with a rock addiction, so I want hard sidewalls but also the tire wrap to handle the random rock pile in my way. The 5.5 deuces wild foams are a little to hard for straight rocks, so I said what the heck and trying the 6.0 double deuce comp cut on a 5.5 tire
Attached Images

Last edited by dieseldee; 02-19-2014 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:01 PM   #6

Well paint is dry and tires are mounted. Just took it out for a spin with Sic1TO. The paint job is mine, all my crawlers and rc's are orange, green, and black, or at lest two of the 3 colors with the exception of my MOA bully. Anyways, the body is mounted with carbon fiber post I made and attached to the front and rear shock post. Tires and foams are mounted on VP pro-comp with no weights added. The nasty, once clear pieces of plastic looking stuff you see on my axles is just that; I went with aluminum VP wraith axles and every time I heard them scrape a rock it felt like that was my teeth getting knocked out. So I bought some 3mm plastic sheet and cut a strip that covered my axles, then took a heat gun and heated it until it formed around my axles. Doesn't look the best I must say, but damn if it doesn't give me 100% protection against most rocks... scratch Proof is a myth I do believe
Attached Images

Last edited by dieseldee; 02-19-2014 at 12:09 PM.

x-trail scx build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX-10 JK Overpass Trail apex Scale Videos! 2 09-25-2012 11:27 PM
Trail Finder or SCX-10 Crawler Ted Newbie General 4 02-11-2009 05:22 PM