Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: gears for scx10 with vxl3s/3500kv brushless combo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2014, 02:15 AM   #1

Question gears for scx10 with vxl3s/3500kv brushless combo

Hi new to this site as a member. I love it though I have used it for everything while building up my new rig and u all have made it possible for me to get my rig to wear it is now.

The reason I signed up is to support the site and to ask a question that I can not find an answer for, that is atleast not an answer that seems straight to me so here it is.

I have a traxxas vxl-3s and the 3500kv brushless motor sitting around that I really want to get into my scx10 hilux build. I am just not to sure what size of pinion and spur gearing I should go for as I still want to get some low end power with out having to much cogging issues. And of course get alittle more speed out of my machine for doing hill climbs and throwing mud.

I heard some say they wear running a 9t pinion and a 56t spur. But really am just not to sure what the best thing to do is. There's also some tranny gearing or swaps that could be done just need some guidance my fellow rc'ers.

PLEASE GUYS GIVE ME SOME POINTS AND TIPS to send me in the right direction.

If this post is not in the right area please let me know as I am kinda new to the forum thing as I stated before. Don't wanna step on anyone's toes.

Thanks rccrawler for this great tech site!!
Here's my rig
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by nolan1123; 02-22-2014 at 02:40 AM. Reason: add picture of my rig
nolan1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2014, 05:36 AM   #2

Default Re: gears for scx10 with vxl3s/3500kv brushless combo

9 and 56 sounds more like 32p gear ratio. Is that what your going to run? I have a Castle SCT 3.3kv brushless in mine right now and got most of the issues worked out. Gout to a local comp today to try it out. But I am running 15t pinion and the stock 87t spur (48 pitch) Just playing around at the house with it didn't seem too bad. If I get some cogging I will order a bigger spur and try it.
6.2blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:44 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The velineon will cog at low speed...its only a 2 pole motor and is not sensored..I tried it in my 1.9 wraith and it was terrible at moving slow....I replaced it with the axial vanguard system I had from a stock exo...it cogs at low speed as well but not as bad....I think due to it being a 2900kv vs the velineon being a 3500....
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:12 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

The VXL system is no good for low end torque...it can work well for general trailing, and mud boggin...but crawling will always suffer cogging...I run the system in mine, but don't do that much crawling.
Go4Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:47 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

With that kind of power I would suggest moving to the 32p gears and start with a 14t pinion and 56t spur and go from there.
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:35 AM   #6

Thanks for the input I stopped by my lhs and all the guys there run them alot. They said just go to the 14t pinion and upgrade all ur plastic gears to metal so I did that and it seems to creep pretty slowly with very minimal cogging and it still rips around pretty good way better in snow with my 2.2 flat irons. I love it!

I will post pictures in a little

Thanks for your guys help
Old 02-23-2014, 09:01 AM   #7

Some pics of her all done well atleast the new powertrain and tranny

Tags
brushless, scx10, spur and pinion gear, transmission, vxl-3s