Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Honcho with XR10 steering??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 02:35 AM   #1

Default Honcho with XR10 steering??

Guys,
Search function didn't give me much help....
I'm trying to chase pics of a honcho with beef tubes/burly tubes with the XR10 steering conversion. If possible with both the standard honcho width and the widened XR10 width.

Im trying to work out if I want the long beef tubes and go with the wider track width... or go with the short beef tubes and mod the diff housing but need to know the look of the stance of the body compared to diffs/wheels.
brighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2014, 05:32 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Honcho with XR10 steering??

I know the search function on this forum is leaves a lot to be desired.

Have you tried google. I just did a quick search and found a handful of pics in the image section. With a little more digging you might find some good shots.

Dna
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:10 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brighty View Post
Guys,
Search function didn't give me much help....
I'm trying to chase pics of a honcho with beef tubes/burly tubes with the XR10 steering conversion. If possible with both the standard honcho width and the widened XR10 width.

Im trying to work out if I want the long beef tubes and go with the wider track width... or go with the short beef tubes and mod the diff housing but need to know the look of the stance of the body compared to diffs/wheels.
Here is my AX/SCX10 axle with the rc bros. burly beef tubes in stalled.
Here is a photo of my Rubicon and F-350. The Rubicon has Vanquish 8* chubs and knuckles and the F-350 again with the rc bros burly tubes. You can see the width difference.
If you use the standard width burly tubes from rc bros, you don't have to modify the XR axle shafts part number AX30563. If you use the rc bros short shafts or most of the other tubes you will have to modify AX30563.

I hope this helps you out.

Last edited by raceeng18; 02-25-2014 at 07:19 AM.
raceeng18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceeng18 View Post
Here is my AX/SCX10 axle with the rc bros. burly beef tubes in stalled.
Here is a photo of my Rubicon and F-350. The Rubicon has Vanquish 8* chubs and knuckles and the F-350 again with the rc bros burly tubes. You can see the width difference.
If you use the standard width burly tubes from rc bros, you don't have to modify the XR axle shafts part number AX30563. If you use the rc bros short shafts or most of the other tubes you will have to modify AX30563.

I hope this helps you out.
Thanks Joe, helps a lot. How would you rate the difference between standard VP 8* C hubs and knuckles vs the burly tubes and XR shaft mod?? Is there a major difference??
Old 02-25-2014, 07:36 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thanks Joe, helps a lot. How would you rate the difference between standard VP 8* C hubs and knuckles vs the burly tubes and XR shaft mod?? Is there a major difference??
There is a difference yes, major, no in my opinion. After hearing from people who had done the beef tube and axle mod I wanted to try it once. I chose these tubes because I didn't have to modify my axle case or the XR shafts. I don't do comps., just play in my yard and on the trails. If I did comp, I would want all of the steering I could get.
raceeng18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:36 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I've done this mod twice. I also had trouble finding a well documented thread, so I included a How to in my scx10 Hilux build.

I hope his helps you. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
Trump1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:06 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Here's the way my Toyota Hilux currently sits.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:45 AM   #8

Ok guys, got it all put together now and looks the goods with the steering radius improved out of sight. I am having a few issues regarding the steering and binding up/not moving though.
Im a total newb to this stuff only having the Honcho since chrissy and never played with RC's before in my life.... so going to need a bit of guidance here.

I fabbed up some links to get it all sorted but seems to be binding/not moving in certain instances... basically refuses to turn the opposite way until you start moving then it'll happily steer ok. Im still running with the stock oem controller and electronics so not sure if this is an issue or not??

As far as the Ackerman geometry goes..... bugger me, no way I can get my head around how to set this thing up right... even after googling it.... just not grasping it at all.

Here's some pics below of how I got it all set up. I thought I'd try and keep the tierod up nice and high and actually managed to get it in behind the servo horn with a millimetre clearance here and there.... I know this clearance is not an issue as it's not touching anywhere between full lock one way to full lock the other.

Feel free to tell me what I've done wrong/how to fix it please!! Oh, btw servo is a Savox SC1256tg if that helps Savox SC1256TG Digital Servo

Old 03-11-2014, 09:17 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Sounds like you need a BEC ($20) or a bec with a stronger servo
Your servo isn't strong enough at 6v is the issue.

If you install a bec it will allow you to run the servo at 7.4v and that will give the servo more power.
You will need a castle link to change the setting in the bec or maybe your LHS can change it for you.
chevotafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:52 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Solar Servo D772 High Voltage 0.17sec@7.4v 64g Digital Metal Gear

solar d772 is a steal

7.4v at 417oz

20$shipped
Ohioskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:47 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevotafun View Post
Sounds like you need a BEC ($20) or a bec with a stronger servo
Your servo isn't strong enough at 6v is the issue.

If you install a bec it will allow you to run the servo at 7.4v and that will give the servo more power.
You will need a castle link to change the setting in the bec or maybe your LHS can change it for you.
I agree. A BEC and a servo closer to 400 oz. of torque.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:00 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

7.4 volts will eat that servo up! It will only take 6 volts...

BuIlT nOt BaUgHT!
509hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:29 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Lets see some pictures of the servo horn at full lock each direction. Same for the.connections at each knuckle. From the sounds of what you describe I'll take a guess and say your servo horn is traveling past the 3 or 9 o'clock position. If this is so you may have to setup your end point adjustment. If using the stock axial tx/rx you may have to play with your link length a little and adjust your dual rates down and recenter your horn.
tech712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:39 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioskills View Post
Solar Servo D772 High Voltage 0.17sec@7.4v 64g Digital Metal Gear

solar d772 is a steal

7.4v at 417oz

20$shipped
I run one of these and couldnt be happier for $20. Metal internal gears and 400oz of torque. It takes a 23 spline horn.
alpine4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:10 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509hooligan View Post
7.4 volts will eat that servo up! It will only take 6 volts...

BuIlT nOt BaUgHT!
hav u used one before??

because iv been using 1 for 8 months now with direct power from battery on 7.4 which the site says

7.4 @ 417oz

Last edited by Ohioskills; 03-11-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Ohioskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Ok guys, got it all put together now and looks the goods with the steering radius improved out of sight. I am having a few issues regarding the steering and binding up/not moving though.
Im a total newb to this stuff only having the Honcho since chrissy and never played with RC's before in my life.... so going to need a bit of guidance here.

I fabbed up some links to get it all sorted but seems to be binding/not moving in certain instances... basically refuses to turn the opposite way until you start moving then it'll happily steer ok. Im still running with the stock oem controller and electronics so not sure if this is an issue or not??

As far as the Ackerman geometry goes..... bugger me, no way I can get my head around how to set this thing up right... even after googling it.... just not grasping it at all.

Here's some pics below of how I got it all set up. I thought I'd try and keep the tierod up nice and high and actually managed to get it in behind the servo horn with a millimetre clearance here and there.... I know this clearance is not an issue as it's not touching anywhere between full lock one way to full lock the other.

Feel free to tell me what I've done wrong/how to fix it please!! Oh, btw servo is a Savox SC1256tg if that helps Savox SC1256TG Digital Servo

Based on the 1st and 2nd pic it seems when the steering link arcs out when turning, it would hit the servo arm causing some binding. It seems like theres very minimal clearance there. But maybe I'm crazy?

Also are you trying to turn on carpet? I know for a fact that with that much traction even with my 7950 servo it wont steer fully until I start moving.

Nice work with the mod
Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:25 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioskills View Post
hav u used one before??

because iv been using 1 for 8 months now with direct power from battery on 7.4 which the site says

7.4 @ 417oz
y buddy and I have went through 10 servos between the 2 of u just last year and savox and our lhs both said too much voltage and I was running 7 volts.

BuIlT nOt BaUgHT!
509hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:03 PM   #18

OK, so looks like I'm going to be shopping shortly.. just don't tell the Mrs

On the shopping list are

* BEC (& ESC??) which brand... I have no idea what Im looking for but from reading, the CC ones are the ducks nuts yeah??

* New Stronger Servo (Throw some brands & model No's at me so I know what Im looking for.

* New Hand controller unit to replace the stock axial ome one. Thinking Flysky only cause a mate has one, but really don't know much about this stuff either.

* Replace the NiMh's with some new Lipo's.... again... what should I be looking at buying here?? 2s or 3s?? Brands(or do they really matter)??

Anything else I should be looking for while Im on a spending spree??

thanks again for all the help.

Last edited by brighty; 03-12-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:59 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

I would suggest Castle BEC. If I recall correctly, the Castle BEC default setting is 5.0 volts. So I think you would need Castle Link to increase the voltage. Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm using the "Savox SA-1230SG Monster Torque Coreless Steel Gear Digital Servo 500 oz" on both my rigs with XR10 steering. On my other two rigs, I'm using "Hitec HS-8380TH High Res Ultra-Torque TG Coreless Servo 486oz Torque!."

I would suggest sticking with 2s unless you want to also upgrade (or mod) your driveshafts and upgrade your ESC.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:03 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump1 View Post
I would suggest Castle BEC. If I recall correctly, the Castle BEC default setting is 5.0 volts. So I think you would need Castle Link to increase the voltage. Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm using the "Savox SA-1230SG Monster Torque Coreless Steel Gear Digital Servo 500 oz" on both my rigs with XR10 steering. On my other two rigs, I'm using "Hitec HS-8380TH High Res Ultra-Torque TG Coreless Servo 486oz Torque!."

I would suggest sticking with 2s unless you want to also upgrade (or mod) your driveshafts and upgrade your ESC.
It's set to 5.0v yes. If you buy from Holmes Hobby he will set it to whatever voltage you want beforehand for an extra $2.50.
alpine4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Honcho with XR10 steering?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEW take on XR10 steering mfawv Axial XR10 46 08-22-2013 05:08 PM
xr10 steering help! bustamantealdo Axial XR10 9 01-09-2013 02:58 PM
Honcho steering linkages rod.d Axial SCX-10 17 01-08-2011 08:39 PM
Honcho steering bind? wantAsummit Axial SCX-10 4 06-20-2010 03:04 PM