Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: TINY's building a Yota.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 10:43 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default TINY's building a Yota.

This is one of my older builds. I put this one on hold while I built my G6. TINY's take on a G6 . But this truck started life as another one of my trucks.It was the original truck I started to build from late night ebay auctions and trades and pretty much everywhere I could find cheap parts and great deals. I built it completely up to running with body and all for under $150.00. Now I did start with some of the main parts that were used but I did wonders with trades and late night ending auctions. When it was done it was a really nice Dingo bodied scx.Here's the thread.My "Cheap as I can find it" Build.After I got it where I wanted it I started thinking....lol I thought maybe I need an all out scaler. I've built just about every type of RC there is. But never a hard core scaler.So that's what I decided to do. Build a scaler and not just any scaler..A yota.I know they've been done a lot but they're just cool...So I started to tear down the truck and do upgrades as I went. I replaced the stock plastic lower links with a set of R2J stainless links. Then I removed the stock shocks and replaced those with some RC4WD Ultimate scale shocks. I relocated the rear shocks to inside the frame with a GearHead relocation kit. It runs a 20T axial motor controlled by a Novak Rooster ESC.The ESC sits on a custom made tray that's bolted to the side of the transmission.For a servo I'm running a HS-645 MG (for now). The servo is mounted to a custom CMS setup that I came up with.The axles were freshened up with new axle housings and re-greased. The transmission was cleaned and re-greased. It also runs all metal RR gears as well. For tires and wheels I went with Super swamper tsl sx's on Axial 8 hole beadlocks.I filled in the extra holes on the bottom of the doors and also the ones in the bed. I was having problem with the way the rock sliders looked.So I took them out of their mounts turned them over heated them up and bent the up. So now they look like running boards.As for paint....It's still up in the air...I've got 5 or 6 colors I'd like to see on it.I may just go with an old school ford 2 tone paint scheme who knows.OK guys here's some pics. Let me hear it...What ya think so far?

Last edited by T I N Y; 05-13-2014 at 04:29 PM.
T I N Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2014, 02:42 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: TINY's building a Yota.

I did some cleanup on the wiring today, I then tuned the shocks and body mounts where they would give the right ride height. That way the front isn't way up in the front and way down in the back. Or vice versa...
Old 03-04-2014, 10:20 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

very nice, I want to do this exact thing, 150 running truck is amazing!
I'm leaning towards scx fram due to trailfinder limitations.
iDC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:14 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDC5 View Post
very nice, I want to do this exact thing, 150 running truck is amazing!
I'm leaning towards scx frame due to trailfinder limitations.
That's one of the main reasons I went with the scx frame. You can do more with it.And in the long run if you wanna build something different.You already have a great foundation.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:42 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Are you planning on an interior? The transmission in the center is the biggest obstacle if you are, and putting the esc on top will make it even thornier.
khj94704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:13 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by khj94704 View Post
Are you planning on an interior? The transmission in the center is the biggest obstacle if you are, and putting the esc on top will make it even thornier.
Thornier????? LOL No I thought of all that. If I do make an interior down the line I can deal with the esc by just moving it. And if ya think about how you want to lay out your interior. And get a little creative.The transmission isn't that hard to work around.Or if I didn't want it to be an original looking interior. I could always put in a Honcho interior from Dinky, or just cut up a proline, or JK interior. But That's cheating....lol
Old 03-08-2014, 12:35 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I started on the inner fenders today.I got them laid out in template form so far.I'll probably make the final ones tomorrow..I was also thinking about what color to paint the truck...I may go with a Nice Satin black. I think with the black wheels. And then a black body will give it a nice blacked out mean look.Or as the kids say...All murdered out!......LOL

Last edited by T I N Y; 03-08-2014 at 12:56 AM.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:40 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I may have to steal some of your ideas. I have a tf2 im soon to cannibalize.

A little carnage

Last edited by tech712; 03-08-2014 at 01:43 AM.
tech712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:50 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Looking good. What pinion gear size are you running?
Trump1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:44 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump1 View Post
Looking good. What pinion gear size are you running?
I'm running a 84/16 setup. I figured it being a 20T that would be a good starting point.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:29 PM   #11
RCC Addict

It's been a while but I got some color on this thing...It's a satin black..It looks more gloss to me...So I'm not real sure it's going to stay this color.
But it does look kind of cool with the black wheels and the black body.Who knows it may just stay black....
Old 04-06-2014, 08:02 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by T I N Y View Post
I did some cleanup on the wiring today, I then tuned the shocks and body mounts where they would give the right ride height. That way the front isn't way up in the front and way down in the back. Or vice versa...
Like to see a photo of the way the body is mounted, I had the tail too high on mine and couldn't get it worked out. Thanks
raceeng18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:22 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceeng18 View Post
Like to see a photo of the way the body is mounted, I had the tail too high on mine and couldn't get it worked out. Thanks
Check out the very first post. In the pics it shows the body posts and the things I made to put velcro on to hold the body.To really get the body down a good bit you'll need to relocate the rear shocks.Mine has no rear shock hoops anymore. And my shocks are moved inside the frame rails.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:26 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Looks good. I see people in there. Could just be a reflection. I made my own body posts. I'll try to find a photo.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:36 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

I found it.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:52 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Looks good. I see people in there. Could just be a reflection. I made my own body posts. I'll try to find a photo.
People in where????

Quote:
I found it.

Is that brakeline?
Old 04-08-2014, 01:32 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
People in where????

Is that brakeline?
Darn Samsung swyping .... I meant purple.

I think your Toyota would look good with Silver graphics.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:47 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Darn Samsung swyping .... I meant purple.

I think your Toyota would look good with Silver graphics.
Oh no....I hate those graphics...It seems like everybody has those on their yotas. Just to see what it would look like I put the dark blue, medium blue. and white stripe. graphics from a 79' ford body. I might put a pic up later of it.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:47 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by capthook View Post
Nice rig!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Thanks!.....
Old 04-08-2014, 05:31 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Oh no....I hate those graphics...It seems like everybody has those on their yotas. Just to see what it would look like I put the dark blue, medium blue. and white stripe. graphics from a 79' ford body. I might put a pic up later of it.

I put those graphics on mine because that's the way my '83 Toyota SR5 looked. It's more of an original look than a custom look.

TINY's building a Yota. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
jeeper_05's Vuckin Yota build...Now Hotwheels000's Vuckin Yota! jeeper_05 1.9 Scale Rigs 264 09-28-2015 12:17 AM
TINY's take on a G6 T I N Y Axial SCX-10 164 03-29-2015 09:12 PM
Tiny's Wraith tinycrites Axial Wraith 43 07-07-2012 02:23 AM