Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Binding Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 08:11 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Binding Question

Sorry to ask, but im still a noob at this crawling stuff.

I have an scx10 honcho and have 2.2 tires. I want to put on a lift kit and have read that your drive shafts might bind up.

What exactly does that mean? When you guys say they will bind?

Thanks
123nanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2014, 09:38 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Binding Question

When any type of u-joint/cvd on a shaft is forced past its limits, funny things will happen.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:55 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Binding is when one component hits another or as the previous poster said, when the component is pushed past its limit for instance if your driveshafts are put at too steep an angle such as /-\ the yokes at the end will bind, that is, they won't move as they are supposed to because they are being pushed past their limits. So, either they will break or they will move but awkwardly and cause some problem elsewhere- with the driveshafts being at too steep an angle which can be cause by lifting the truck TOO high, the binding will cause the axles to hop with every driveshaft revolution (or) as i said, something will snap. So basically if what i said is still confusing you, binding means the component will not perform smoothly as it is supposed to..
Basically, keep in mind 2.2 wheels will be taller then stock 1.9s so already the axles will be at a steeper angle, and raising the truck on top of this will increase this, now you can combat this but that will involve clocking the axle and/or increasing link length to decrease the steepness of your driveshafts.. and that you can surely find info on in this forum
Dont worry about being a newb we all were there at one point and in some respects still may be, its totally cool to ask questions

***EDIT*** As summerof95 mentioned, upping the tires from 1.9 to 2.2 wont change driveshaft angle my error. HOWEVER lifting the truck still will!!!

Last edited by autonomous; 03-06-2014 at 09:00 PM.
autonomous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:22 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Default Binding Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by autonomous View Post
Binding is when one component hits another or as the previous poster said, when the component is pushed past its limit for instance if your driveshafts are put at too steep an angle such as /-\ the yokes at the end will bind, that is, they won't move as they are supposed to because they are being pushed past their limits. So, either they will break or they will move but awkwardly and cause some problem elsewhere- with the driveshafts being at too steep an angle which can be cause by lifting the truck TOO high, the binding will cause the axles to hop with every driveshaft revolution (or) as i said, something will snap. So basically if what i said is still confusing you, binding means the component will not perform smoothly as it is supposed to..
Basically, keep in mind 2.2 wheels will be taller then stock 1.9s so already the axles will be at a steeper angle, and raising the truck on top of this will increase this, now you can combat this but that will involve clocking the axle and/or increasing link length to decrease the steepness of your driveshafts.. and that you can surely find info on in this forum
Dont worry about being a newb we all were there at one point and in some respects still may be, its totally cool to ask questions

Wow, very nice way to help and I really have to say thanks for taking your time to explain others!
iFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:40 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

ok thanks so would my driveshaft break or my yoke?

Quote:
123nanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:57 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Basically, keep in mind 2.2 wheels will be taller then stock 1.9s so already the axles will be at a steeper angle...
Say what?

Until you change a component of the suspension (links, shocks,etc), the axles and drive-line will remain at the same angle.
summerof95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:35 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerof95 View Post
Say what?

Until you change a component of the suspension (links, shocks,etc), the axles and drive-line will remain at the same angle.
ok you may be right I have yet to increase tire size and I was quite tired when I answered my bad..
nanez the binding explanation still applies to raising the truck..
autonomous is offline   Reply With Quote

Binding Question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Binding question Exocaged Electronics 5 07-13-2013 06:18 AM
Binding question Hardknocks Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 1 04-09-2010 02:36 PM
binding question sidewaystreak Venom Creeper 6 02-05-2010 09:35 PM
Spektrum Binding Question notez2beat Electronics 1 12-19-2009 11:24 PM
Binding question hlpressley Newbie General 8 10-09-2006 07:59 PM