Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Scx10 Honcho Short Course build.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 09:50 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Scx10 Honcho (Short Course body) "Tough" Truck build.

This Build is a SCX10 with a Short Course styled Hard Body. Not a scx10 chassis used for a short course racer, That would be pretty awesome though. Hope this provides a little better insight to the following than the title of the thread. My Bad.

So I have some pics of stock to current status. Due to receive parts today after almost a year of deciding where im going with the cosmetic look of the truck and I think I have found it.

Before someone chews me for calling my scx10 a short course truck, I know its not. it would never come within a county of my AE sc10.

Found a hard shell short course body for sale and it sparked. Hopefully it doesn't lead to a total meltdown!

Posting orig to current pics first then the new parts that have yet to be fit

Upgrades in order received and fitted:
-Aluminum suspension and steering links
-G-made 1.9 beadlock rims with 1.9 proline tsl supper swampers
-4-link kit for front and back(to make them identical)
-2 sets of steel drive shafts(cup & u-joint), cup style on lower bend u-joint on upper
-8 HR internal spring shocks(modified to not be lethargic)4 total on front with soft springs and 2 on back with medium(waiting to use other 2)
-Due today- Hard shell short course body with lights
-Due today- 1.9 RC4WD Interco Boggers and RC4WD steel beadlock wheels
-Due today- Set of 4 Losi 4" LCC shocks

Let me know what you guys think and please leave any suggestions.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dad,Canyoufix?; 04-19-2014 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Title info
Dad,Canyoufix? is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2014, 06:28 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Scx10 Honcho Short Course build.

So, Parts delivery... Log of what's new in original post.
Tell me what you all think, I know I'm gonna have to trim the rear fender arch a little bit but that's pretty easy, mounting it doesn't look like it is gonna be too hard either.

Body is taking a bath to get rid of decals and after that will be trimmed and fitted to chassis.

BTW: Looks like the scx roll cage will transfer rather easily as well!

Please oh please let me have some opinions on this!
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2014, 09:11 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Body is Clean!

Would really like some input here.
#1. Should I keep the lightbar that comes with truck. 4 LEDs sit on roof bar.

#2. Ways of mounting this body. I could drill holes but I think I would rather find another way. I'm sure some of those experienced in scale building might have some tips.

Got Tips? Share em please!
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2014, 11:58 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Mounted the body traditionally.

Still thinking about light bar.

Definitely want to cut out windshield/windows and mount some nets and maybe some cage wire for windshields.

Thinking about decals and possibly transplanting the roll cage from old honcho body to this one. Almost matches up!.

Any Ideas or Tips please share! Compliments or criticism post those also!
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2014, 09:37 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I like the direction your build is going. My vote is ditch the light bar it came with, and use one that has a better scale look to it. With lifted style suspension, it almost has more of a TTC look then short course IMHO. Cutting the Windows and adding window nets would add a great scale touch to your build.
AZINDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:46 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

your front shocks are not gonna perform properly setup like that..
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:05 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLANDROCKSHOP View Post
your front shocks are not gonna perform properly setup like that..
Agree. We could be wrong, but as one goes up the other is not really going to provide any dampening due to the separate angles. You need to align them at the same vertical angle.

Also, it looks wayyy too tall, especially as a short course truck. Like said above this looks more like a TTC rig, and with the dual shock thing going on is starting to look like a mini monster truck.

Run the front shocks at the same vertical angle, lower the suspension down a bit. If you have to run the shocks through the hood. Short Course is all about low, fast, stable. I cant see this thing being very stable on turns at speed. IMO you want a different tire too. The boggers are good tires, but too skinny for how tall they are. I ran a set on a rig jacked up like yours and it spent more time on its lid than its wheels.
alpine4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:14 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Thank you for the Info on the shocks, Did them like that for fun initially but with the battery up front they actually worked that way without binding and compressed well also, so I left em. Since moving the battery to the back however, YUP I'm redoing them( Parallel, got it).

I definitely agree its looking like a trophy truck now, had no idea the boggers were gonna be that tall. Is there a way to change the name of my post? Newbie here and I haven't yet mastered the functions of the forum.

Old light bar ditched. It in no way matches the cage on the truck now(Pics below). Any products recommended for sporty scale light bars? Also thinking about the idea for the windshield, not really sure I want to put anything but maybe a roll cage and some scale sparcos and dash. Most pics of 1:1 TTs that I have seen have no windshield at all. Definitely gonna be looking at bumpers to replace the stock honcho one, once again..any suggestions?

Once again thank you for the replies and please keep them coming. OH one other thing, Do they make C-Hubs that are clocked in a way that my steering is not so effected by rolling axle forward to save driveshaft angle?

Ty gonna go play with shocks.
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2014, 12:46 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

In all honesty you shouldnt need two shocks per side up front unless it's just for looks. One will do the job just fine so long as it is properly adjusted to the rig and the way you drive (IE oil weight, spring weight, valving, and oil pressure if adjustable).

Also it looks like a TTC (Tough Truck Challenge) truck, not a trophy truck. Trophies are low as well

Check out the Rigid Industries light bars, pretty sweet units
Old 03-13-2014, 01:02 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Check out HPI's disco'd MTDT to give you some ideas on suspension and axle geometry. I'd suggest running the AR60 axles too with stronger universals. AX10 axle these days are too played out even loaded up with some SLW hubs just not as good as Wraith axles stock for stock.

If you want an indy front I heard StangKilla did a nice trophy truck build with a mini erevo front diff with custom MIP CVD's...or just wait I bet some company will launch a scale solid axle f/r trophy truck soon. My guess is Vaterra or Axial....
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:52 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

For the windows id cut them out and use metal screen for like your house screen and paint it flat black. That will hide the tranny a bit and look great.
jh1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:49 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

AH.... tough truck. makes much more sense, trophy trucks are basically 1:1 SC trucks right? Anyway ty for the correction, ill change post title again(now that I figured out how, can't change thread title w/o starting over right?). Gonna google some 1:1 TTC vehicles now and see if any new ideas pop. Think I am going to use to use the nylon pads they sell in local department stores for the windows and windshield(Bigger holes in pad and more color choices)

After I feel better about the state of this rig I might look into using this body or one like it on a cc01. With a few mods and some fab they would make a great trophy truck platform. IMO of course.

I did do away with double shocks in front, it looked cool to me for a bit, I'm on to trying to scale it a little more. Also weighted the new front wheels with about 3.75oz in each and it helped balance the battery move to the rear. Hit the snow mountain in front of the place we are living at currently and it did rather well.

I will look into swapping axles and try to make it happen. Are there any alloy or steel housings out there that would be decent, the extra weight could help keep rubber planted. I am a little confused as to which axles you are suggesting I go for, are AR60 axles stock wraith axels(NEWB ALERT)?

Did anyone like the mods on the cage I made? Want to know what other people see when looking at it. Wish I was at home so I could Fab up a dash, floor pan, maybe a splash guard and esc/receiver plate. Can visualize a 3'x2' sheet of 1/8'' aluminum diamond plate in my grandpa's garage and a press/welder/fabricating on the road is rough.

Downloading a few pics off camera from snow mountain in front of the house.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dad,Canyoufix?; 03-13-2014 at 07:49 PM. Reason: forgot something.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:47 PM   #13

Awesome build, looks different and I like your idea.
The cages diffidently adds a look that is one of a kind.

IMO, I'd take windows out and do the netting look too.

IMO, I liked the decals, but that is IMO. The flat one color doesn't do it for me.

Side note, I really like the white wheels you had on before, where did you get those? I want a set for my build like those you had on there and the dual shock idea.
chumpy1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:07 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumpy1965 View Post
Awesome build, looks different and I like your idea.
The cages diffidently adds a look that is one of a kind.

IMO, I'd take windows out and do the netting look too.

IMO, I liked the decals, but that is IMO. The flat one color doesn't do it for me.

Side note, I really like the white wheels you had on before, where did you get those? I want a set for my build like those you had on there and the dual shock idea.
They are by G-made. they are plastic and have been easy to find( E-bay has em for 12-15 a pair). saving mine for a cc01 build after I get this scx10 where I want it.

Definitely not just leaving it all one color. In my spare time I have been thumbing through past decal sheets, picking and plotting. Sorry its kinda *dull* atm but it'll start speaking in a week or so when I start applying. Gonna try to get nets done first. Any decals you think belong on this rig, post em up. I like fresh ideas

TY for your Opinion! Feedback is GOOD!
Old 03-15-2014, 10:32 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Added a few decals around the truck, not totally finished there.

Started a interior while I wait on nets. Got to finish cutting out windows and back glass(can't wait for the dremel I'm supposed to be getting for fathers day, long ways out). Interior is made from cardboard and soda cans, was using crap I had laying around. Would love any advice on making interiors with cheap supplies from your average dept store as I am on the road and don't have a garage anymore. I do have a seat and figure for the cab when its ready(when nets are installed the whole interior will be bolted in permanently, taped atm)

Took some shots to show decals and flex, too late to take it outside. My budget did allow some new proline wide bumpers, will post up pics when they arrive.

Has anyone had experience with a 20t brushed motor in a scx10? curious if the extra speed would kill the low end. Does the rig still crawl well? Do I have to have a stiffer suspension to not roll over? Really any info about the pros and cons would be great.

Any thoughts? Share please!

Happy crawling
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2014, 11:20 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

I have some decals I think I want to put on this rig some how. Not sure where to put them or if I should maybe trim them to fit in a good place. would love some feedback on where to place these as I feel if I put them where they fit easily they kinda make it look,...cluttered..., any ideas are helpful.

Pics, 4 decals in total, 2 of one pictured on side.( just taped atm)
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2014, 11:34 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Just a question, what is your goal with this rig? Crawler? Basher? Short Course? Trophy Truck? TTC? Mall Crawler? Trail Rig? Knowing your direction will help people give influence as to what you should and shouldnt do.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:14 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I want a crawler that I can still play with on the trail with some speed. Not looking to comp scale or anything. I enjoy stock 27t speed and crawling capabilities. I enjoy scouting creeks and wood trails and enjoy crawling real scenes quite a bit. I haven't been able to do that in almost a year but my son is a little older now and I'm getting back into my build recently and want something different. On a side not I wouldn't mind visiting a competition but don't have the time, tools or budget to keep up a comp rig. I understand my rig probably falls into the bashing category, that's okay. I want it to act decent and look okay as well( going for a tough truck look). Sorry if this is confusing, someday I'll have my garage back and maybe I can redo a lot to give it more direction.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:07 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Smaller shocks. It's way too high. Something in the 90mm department. Your COG is way too high to do much crawling. Get rid of the front bumper or cut and tuck it tight to the front of the body. It really doesnt look good and is killing your approach angle. Keep that body as close to the frame as possible. Low low low. Google Tough Truck Challenge and look at pictures of the rigs for inspiration.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:30 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Got another bumper. Will do some modding to get body lower, could I raise the shock mounting point to lower cog instead of getting smaller shocks? Either way.

Thank you for the advice.

Gonna fiddle around with shocks and if all else fails I'll go back to tsl's to get the body down with out having to trim to fit the boggers.

Scx10 Honcho Short Course build. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 Trail Honcho to FJ Build Wildog 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 08-05-2013 03:13 PM
Danboard's SCX10 Honcho Build: First Kit! Danboard Axial SCX-10 20 05-12-2011 05:56 AM
--> zjguy721 and son SCX10 Honcho build <-- zjguy721 Axial SCX-10 29 03-27-2011 11:21 AM
my axial scx10 honcho kit build 4goodbuys2 Axial SCX-10 3 04-04-2010 12:36 PM
Greg's SCX10 Honcho build... 99frontierxe 1.9 Scale Rigs 26 03-26-2010 10:29 AM