Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Thinking about dropping a VXL in a JK rtr, what do you think?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2014, 08:06 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Talking Thinking about dropping a VXL in a JK rtr, what do you think?

Hello everyone,
So I know this question has been asked several times but I just cant get the right answer. I have a brushless VXL system in my parts box from my slash 4x4 lcg when I switched out the esc/motor. I would like to drop this system into my jeep rtr and since I mostly do mudding with the jeep it would give it some serious wheel speed! I DO NOT rock crawl with this, thats what my honcho and ridgecrest is for! Bottom line, Would this work? I would put a 16t 48p pinion on this and also I mirrored my tranny so it wouldn't go crazy if ya know what I mean. Would this damage the stock transmission gears if I go mudding and on water runs? I have waterproofed the entire truck for water, and I have already taken it mudding three times! I understand that putting a brushless system in this truck is insane but then again I would like to see the mud fly. Thank you in advance, - axial 4x4 crawler
axial 4x4 crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2014, 08:10 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I can promise you plastic gear trans will be nothing but a memory. your stock plastic driveshafts will be no more but other than that you'll be good
Spork_Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:19 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Thinking about dropping a VXL in a JK rtr, what do you think?

Well I could do the good old trick with the steel rods, shoo gue it into the stock driveshaft and call it that. Should I buy some robinson racing gears for the transmission? Note: If I get some robinson racing gears (the solid steel outdrive gear) I will need grub screws to hold the driveshafts in. Trust me with the solid steel rod in the driveshaft, it worked with my wraith running a tekin 10.5t and 3s so it has to work for the jeep with a VXL. Thank you for your time, I appreciate it, - axial 4x4 crawler
Old 03-18-2014, 08:28 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I have been running 3s on an scx for over a year and all i did to the Tran is install the hot racing steel gear set
Old 03-18-2014, 08:34 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Really ok that sounds good, I will look into that Hot Racing gear set.The only thing is that those Robinson Racing gears can probably take more abuse, just saying. I've heard bad things about Hot Racings' products, the only thing I own of them are some diff covers for the ridgecrest.lol. What type of motor/esc are you running in your scx-10?
Old 03-18-2014, 08:37 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I hate hot racing but these gears have been solid. I have done everything from FOFF to mud racing with them on 3s with a 3800 kv system
Old 03-18-2014, 08:44 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork_Assassin View Post
I hate hot racing but these gears have been solid. I have done everything from FOFF to mud racing with them on 3s with a 3800 kv system
- Okay I'll think about it because my first instinct was to get robinson gears but if you say there good I will try them and save a little money. I found a set on ebay (3 gears in total) for $ 37.88 just type in "axial scx-10 hot racing gears" and you should find them on the top. And since your running a 3800KV and the VXl motor is a 3500 KV they should hold up and Im going to run a simple 7.2
ni-MH just because I don't really want to put my good 2s or 3s batteries in it.lol.Thank you for the suggestions, I appreciate it. - Axial 4x4 crawler
Old 03-18-2014, 09:07 AM   #8
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I ran a VXL system in an scx-10 for a while. It worked pretty good. I geared mine 87/12 and it even crawled O.K. I ran it on 3s AND tranny still had original plastic gears. I didn't drive it like an idiot and nothing ever broke. It wasn't until I threw on sand paddles and went to the gravel pit that I stripped out gears in tranny.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:09 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

There is a difference between that and planning on throwing mud. I don't drive mine like an IDIOT but I'm not afraid to break it either
Old 03-18-2014, 09:20 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
I ran a VXL system in an scx-10 for a while. It worked pretty good. I geared mine 87/12 and it even crawled O.K. I ran it on 3s AND tranny still had original plastic gears. I didn't drive it like an idiot and nothing ever broke. It wasn't until I threw on sand paddles and went to the gravel pit that I stripped out gears in tranny.
- Sure I get what your talking about. Im going to gear mine at 87/16, I just ordered a 16t pinion so it doesn't matter to me as long as its not any bigger than a 16t pinion. I might waterproof one of my 2s lipo's and set the lipo cut-off on the esc. How do you turn on the lipo cut-off on a vxl esc? (for a 2s). I might switch over to hot racing gears, Im not sure yet. I don't drive the hell out of my trucks but since this for mudding I might.lol. I will find out how to properly waterproof lipo's, which i can figure it out myself. Thank you, - axial 4x4 crawler
Old 03-18-2014, 06:44 PM   #11
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Just for peace of mind these days I install HR steel tranny gears from the start just so I don't have to crack the cases open ever again. It's worth the $28 (if you have it) A couple of my trucks it probably wasn't necessary but oh well. Like I said, it's nice to have less to worry about out on the trails.

I forget how to set the cutoff.. You don't have a manual? You should be able to find what you need to know on the Traxxas website.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:20 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

if you are going to mud with this rig you most certainly will destroy the plastic gears as the mudding will put a tremendous load on the driveline, especially running a vxl3s system. I am running a castle 3800kv in a wraith 1.9(which is a little more powerful than the vxl3s)...same driveline..it is already distorting the driveshafts and i did the mod for them..its distorting where the driveshaft mounts to the collar/yoke.

if you really want to have some serious mud fun, get MIP driveshafts, hardened steel gears for the trans, upgraded output..and a 32p spur/pinion setup...my castle stripped out the 48t spur quickly in the clay/mud we have here...and yes mesh was set properly.

do that and then have a blast...it is fun as hell seeing mud roostertails from all 4 tires!
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:31 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Ok well I can always change out my driveshafts if need and I have plenty of extra driveshafts laying around (stock plastic ones).but with 32p gearing, it's annoying to put this on although its a good suggestion. Your right about the 3800kv setup being stronger cause I put that system in my slash and took out the vxl system, and that is running mod1 gears. That 3800kv motor I have has a 5mm pinion shaft so pinions are a bit harder to find but anyways with the jeep, it is built for heavy mud and water, the mud I go through done here in Missouri is watery and not thick unless you make it that way.lol. I've taken my jeep through water up to the hood and mud that goes up to the axles but the jeep went through that stuff with no problem and personally MIP shafts are not needed for a scaler, for a slash sure but not in a off-roader, just my opinion. Hell if viper made waterproofed stuff I would sell the vxl and go to a viper 550 brushless motor and there only for 120.00 and those have more power than a 3800 KV 4-pole has!! The vxl is only a 2-pole so the torque is a problem but like I said a 550 would be way better but its not waterproof. Thank you for your time, - axial 4x4 crawler
Old 03-19-2014, 10:34 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
if you are going to mud with this rig you most certainly will destroy the plastic gears as the mudding will put a tremendous load on the driveline, especially running a vxl3s system. I am running a castle 3800kv in a wraith 1.9(which is a little more powerful than the vxl3s)...same driveline..it is already distorting the driveshafts and i did the mod for them..its distorting where the driveshaft mounts to the collar/yoke.

if you really want to have some serious mud fun, get MIP driveshafts, hardened steel gears for the trans, upgraded output..and a 32p spur/pinion setup...my castle stripped out the 48t spur quickly in the clay/mud we have here...and yes mesh was set properly.

do that and then have a blast...it is fun as hell seeing mud roostertails from all 4 tires!
- You where talking about your wraith with driveshaft problems, why don't you clean them up after each mud run? If you clean the yoke joint with wd-40 it will get all that mud and junk out to stop the rust, that's what I do with my jeep after every run depending if I went through water or not.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:59 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by axial 4x4 crawler View Post
- You where talking about your wraith with driveshaft problems, why don't you clean them up after each mud run? If you clean the yoke joint with wd-40 it will get all that mud and junk out to stop the rust, that's what I do with my jeep after every run depending if I went through water or not.
I am not following you here, my shafts did not distort due to rust. they distorted due to excessive torque. I never said i didnt clean anything up either. I clean it up and lube the joints with lt wt machine oil to prvent the rust, works much better than wd40. your thread is the first place I have discussed my driveshafts distorting under the stress of my motor and mud..
Old 03-19-2014, 01:06 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

"personally MIP shafts are not needed for a scaler, for a slash sure but not in a off-roader, just my opinion."

thats fine to have your opinion, I have a scrap box full of stock driveshafts that are twisted from my scaler and my wraith. My opinion is they are needed for my driving style and terrain I have here. the scaler has a holmes hobbies 30t torque master pro and it has twisted more than one stock axial WB driveshaft on 3s. I beat the crap out of my rigs and upgrade as necessary. its all about the fun
Old 03-19-2014, 01:29 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I am not following you here, my shafts did not distort due to rust. they distorted due to excessive torque. I never said i didnt clean anything up either. I clean it up and lube the joints with lt wt machine oil to prvent the rust, works much better than wd40. your thread is the first place I have discussed my driveshafts distorting under the stress of my motor and mud..
- Okay I gotcha now, I don't know what I was thinking lol. sorry. I just misunderstood you, my bad.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:34 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
"personally MIP shafts are not needed for a scaler, for a slash sure but not in a off-roader, just my opinion."

thats fine to have your opinion, I have a scrap box full of stock driveshafts that are twisted from my scaler and my wraith. My opinion is they are needed for my driving style and terrain I have here. the scaler has a holmes hobbies 30t torque master pro and it has twisted more than one stock axial WB driveshaft on 3s. I beat the crap out of my rigs and upgrade as necessary. its all about the fun
- Yeah okay I see what your saying, Im just saying from my experience Ive never broke a stock driveshaft in two years of running all of my trucks and my honcho has a Holmes hobby 35t expert motor and that thing is awesome, has plenty of torque and Im running my stock driveshafts that are modded but I use to run a tekin 35t after that went out a weeks ago I through in the HH 35t and I like it. Anyways I haven't decided yet to through in the VXL or wait. If I do decide to do it then I will need those steel gears. But like always my wallet is getting burned today because Im buying a vaterra glamis uno 1/8 buggy.lol.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:15 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

no problem, like I said its all about the fun
Old 03-20-2014, 09:53 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

one word.. Kaboom..!
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote