Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Wraith Knuckles on SCX???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2014, 10:27 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Wraith Knuckles on SCX???

Hey,
So I have just finished repairing my SCX 10 this weekend an took it out for its first run when I ended up breaking the original plastic knuckles on the passenger side. The only reason I am surprised is by how long they lasted.

I have a simple question which google has not been my friend too....

Do Wraith Knuckles work on SCX axles with no mods? If I am going to to spend money, I may as well go VP aluminum C-Hubs an Knuckles.

I was trying to post pone axle work which would cost money as I have also considered wider axles with partial rear steer. To do this, I wanted to widen the wheel base an lift it more before.

John
johnfm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2014, 11:45 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Wraith Knuckles on SCX???

Quick answer, no.

You can get VP 8° knuckles specifically for SCX axles. Or you can get RCBros splined burly tubes that will accept Wraith outters.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:56 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
Quick answer, no.

You can get VP 8° knuckles specifically for SCX axles. Or you can get RCBros splined burly tubes that will accept Wraith outters.
RCbro will get you Killer steering.

sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:04 PM   #4
RCC Addict

To expand a little on what 2J said.
You can do the "XR Mod" in a few different configurations. The easiest way is to use the RCBros burly tubes with wraith hubs/knuckles and stock width XR10 universals. To be a little narrower you can cut part of the housings off and the tubes by the same amount and shorten the uni's to fit also. Or you can use standard length beef tubes modify housings to fit tubes and knuckles and shorted unis. Any of these will be wider than stock SCX10. Some are easier than others and none are cheap.
If you want just a little width it is a lot cheaper to add some SLW hubs to your wheels if possible with your specific wheels. One of my rigs has axial knuckles and .350 SLW hubs on axial beadlocks and the other has the narrow xr mod with axial beadlocks and they are fairly close in width.
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:27 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

That's what I was afraid of.

I would like a wider track, an thought about using wraith axles, but understand its not a easy install due to the offset pumpkins. Though a VP front an rear 3 link with panhard may be a good option, except I planned on lifting it. So modifying the panhard length would be necessary.

The burly tubes would be cool, but I am not confident in drilling an tapping things that small. I wish they had a option to buy them pre drilled for stock setup. That would give me the width I would like an the factory axle install for ease.

John
Old 03-24-2014, 01:01 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Well is SDS Customz was still around I would've suggested his ax10 8* chub to wraith knuckle adaptors. Basically lets you use Vp ax10 chubs and wraith knuckles. However I do not think he is making parts anymore.

Super 300's/300HDs taking orders

"Axial 8*chub to Wraith Knuckle Adapters"

I just ended up doing the entire XR-10/wraith steering mod sinec I didn't have previous VP 8* parts for my scx10 to begin with.
Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:26 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Well, I think the SCX will be down for the count for a while again. Its been dead for the last 2 months due to water damage to the ESC. As I said above, I just got that fixed last weekend an now I am broke again with steering knuckles. I am tossed as to whether I want to install the burly tubes, buy wraith axles to get the width I wanted, or just keep the stock width for now an buy some high clearance axial knuckles for the SCX. Those are only $40 an made from aluminum.

Thanks for everyones comments.
John
Old 03-24-2014, 02:54 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I picked up the brass burly tubes, drilling and tapping isn't that difficult. Use a spring punch, small pilot hole first then drill for the tap. Just go slow and err on the safe side when necessary
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:34 PM   #9

i run a set off home made beef tubes off a friend with modded scx cases on the end with vp c's and knuckles with XR10 shafts with a gcm diff locker and steering is awesome
scoobysport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:57 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I really like the VP 8* setup on both my rigs.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:12 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I would like to buy some VP products. I just can not afford to spend that much after dumping $300 in 2 esc/motor combo's.

An I am still not set on the width. There are places my SCX can get which my wraith could never fit. An there are some fitment issues with wraith axles.

John
Old 03-24-2014, 04:41 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Sally1800: It looks like you have burly tubes. Do you have a way to show a comparison between factory SCX axles, the SCX axles with the Burly Tubes, an Wraith axles? I am curious as to the width differences.

John
Old 03-24-2014, 05:19 PM   #13

my standard scx is 230mm wide and my modified is 240mm not much difference. 5mm either side
Old 03-24-2014, 05:27 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

I guess my question is why VP? I use a lot of TopCad and GPM Racing products all in aluminum and they are a sweet fit for the SCX10 and even the Wraith. They hold up really well too, plus I can get more of what I want without breaking the bank. Just a thought. I know VP stuff is awesome, and just looks amazing, but in the end it will get just as beat up and damaged looking over time going over rocks as any other aluminum part would.

Well Good luck with what ever you decide to go with, I know it will be awesome thats for sure.
CodesEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:29 PM   #15
~THE SCALE SHOP~

the XR/Wraith/Burly tube mod mentioned above adds a hair over 1" to your track width.
mine was 1.2" when I did it.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:06 PM   #16

here in the uk we call top cad top cheese as it has a heavey lead content and wears out quicker. as the saying goes you get what you pay for. gpm arnt bad but id stay away from top cad . and i got my VP second hand.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:48 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodesEmpire View Post
I guess my question is why VP? I use a lot of TopCad and GPM Racing products all in aluminum and they are a sweet fit for the SCX10 and even the Wraith. They hold up really well too, plus I can get more of what I want without breaking the bank. Just a thought. I know VP stuff is awesome, and just looks amazing, but in the end it will get just as beat up and damaged looking over time going over rocks as any other aluminum part would.

Well Good luck with what ever you decide to go with, I know it will be awesome thats for sure.
Well the VP stuff uses the 8* orientation which reduces tire scrub while steering, thus giving better steering response/performance. Also fixes the ackerman issue.

TopCad/GCM may make aluminum parts to replace stock plastic but I'd rather have the added performance myself.

Then again this is strictly my opion and you know what they say..."opinions are like @$$holes.....everyones got one"

Back on track, widening the track is not a cheap upgrade. I did my XR-10 steering mods with beef tubes, plastic axial chubs/knuckles, and axial universals and even that was like $75. Going VP parts would've put me at double that, which I have done so after being satisfied with the width/look/performance.
Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:03 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysport View Post
my standard scx is 230mm wide and my modified is 240mm not much difference. 5mm either side
Is that wheel edge to wheel edge?

John
Old 03-24-2014, 09:16 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodesEmpire View Post

So the reason for VP is because I am a NOOB to this hobby who hasnt heard of other brands. About the only other brand I have heard of is Integy, which I understand is a cut rate company with bad business practices an cheep products. With the cost of VP, I may have let my rig sit or consider cheaper options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysport View Post
here in the uk we call top cad top cheese as it has a heavey lead content and wears out quicker. as the saying goes you get what you pay for. gpm arnt bad but id stay away from top cad . and i got my VP second hand.
The big issue I am running into is trying to decide what route I want to take with the SCX axles. How wide do I want it. I am really nervous about investing in VP only to not be happy with the end result. This lends it self to the above comment I made. I may invest in cheep axles, see how I like the gains, then invest in VP products as the cheep parts break later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinjari View Post
Well the VP stuff uses the 8* orientation which reduces tire scrub while steering, thus giving better steering response/performance. Also fixes the ackerman issue.

TopCad/GCM may make aluminum parts to replace stock plastic but I'd rather have the added performance myself.

Then again this is strictly my opion and you know what they say..."opinions are like @$$holes.....everyones got one"

Back on track, widening the track is not a cheap upgrade. I did my XR-10 steering mods with beef tubes, plastic axial chubs/knuckles, and axial universals and even that was like $75. Going VP parts would've put me at double that, which I have done so after being satisfied with the width/look/performance.
RC's in general arent cheep. They almost earn the acronym JEEP. Just Empty Every Pocket... lol I run 1:1 jeeps, an this is almost as bad. With a single VP bead lock costing $80.

I was looking at the 8* c-hubs an knuckle kit. But am not ready to lift my rig an rotate the axles (to reduce drive line angle) to make use of the rotated knuckle.

All,
I am at a stand still now. As ShinJari implied, there are alot of different views on how things should be setup an what brand to buy. Now what I need to do is goto a crawler event an see first hand an make a decision based on how I drive what needs to be done next. It just sucks to have my rig down again.

My only other option is to just buy factory parts knowing that in the future they will break again.

John
Old 03-24-2014, 09:20 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
the XR/Wraith/Burly tube mod mentioned above adds a hair over 1" to your track width.
mine was 1.2" when I did it.
I am assuming that this is the Burly Tubes, XR C-Hubs, Wraith Knuckles? What was it I was suppose to grab the axle shafts from?

An you said about 1 inch. That kind of make sense to me since each side of the axle added about 1/2 inch of length with the burly tube. I just was sure if the knuckle/c-hub assembly was narrower to offset the added length of the burly tube.

John

Wraith Knuckles on SCX??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
can i reuse the wraith VP chub and wraith VP knuckles on the SCX kit? bikeboy Axial Wraith 4 06-26-2013 12:03 PM
VP Wraith knuckles or VP XR10 knuckles? Illeagle Axial Wraith 21 09-21-2012 09:33 PM