Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: question about 3 Link / CMS / Panhard Conversion Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2014, 01:56 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default question about 3 Link / CMS / Panhard Conversion Kit

Thinking about buying this vanquish kit since I need links and want a cms anyway. Tired of having the servo hit the frame rails when flexing and with as much as I go in water it would be a good idea to have the servo up higher not to mention it look's much better. I've looked at video's and pictures and haven't really got any answers. My concern is how much does it effect or limit flex? I'am running the stock axial icon shocks ( thinking about picking up a set of 4" shocks for more droop ). I've read that it limits flex and was just curious of peoples opinions that have this set up, the hand bro's or the new rc4wd cms with panhard. Does it actually limit the flex? does it bind at all?

Last edited by urnot2brightru; 03-25-2014 at 02:17 AM.
urnot2brightru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2014, 04:08 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: question about 3 Link / CMS / Panhard Conversion Kit

With all due respect dude, use the search tool. I typed in CMS under the Axial SCX10 section and got 154 hits. Its been explained over and over again.

CMS is more for scale looks than for functional improvements...
Louisbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:22 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I'd say it limits flex very little if at all...on my rig.
ev0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:25 AM   #4
RCC Addict

ive had the cms on both my scx10 and wraith at one point...never again!
i never cared for it especially on a wraith where it is mounted on a plastic tube setup. lol

i like my servo mounted on the axle where it sits solid without flex limitation.
or better....bumpsteer!
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:05 AM   #5
RCC Addict

The ONLY variable that limits articulation is shocks and the travel that any given shock provides.... its nothing to do with where your servo is mounted or if 3 or 4 link.. people need to stop giving out bad info...

If in you cms/panhard setup, the links hit stuff put bends in it to keep it from hitting something.. most common are frame rail and top of pumpkin... bending any link has no affect on functionality. The end points of said link are still in the same place reguardless of the links shape...

Last edited by kaneohecrawler; 03-25-2014 at 10:10 AM.
kaneohecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:17 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

A properly setup 3-link with panhard and cms setup has very little to no bumpsteer and zero flex limitations. The RC4WD cms kit has worked extremely well for me. No flex limitation. No bumpsteer. You need the panhard and drag link to be parallel and the same length for proper geometry. I have had no ill effects going from axle mount to cms.

I had flex limitation with my servo hitting the frame rails before cms, no limitation now.
alpine4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:29 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Like stated above. Cms is 5 scale points and if properly setup has 0 bump steer. When bending links for clearance remember each bend shortens the link a little and you may have to unthread it a little to compensate. Also keep in mind that most every kit is designed for stock knuckles. Adding histeer knuckles changes the link mount points of the rod your trying to parralel. Adding 0 Ackerman knuckles changes the length of the rod your trying to match in length. Rolling your axle to create caster or correct pinion angle effects the parralel. Not everyone understands the mechanical engineering of steering geometry and that's where the "it doesn't work" feedback comes from. Very soon I will be releasing my bolt on cms kit that has multiple panhard mounting options to correct your bump steer no matter what knuckles your running.

Last edited by ToyZuki; 03-25-2014 at 10:34 AM.
ToyZuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:33 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Im just tired of people who have no clue what they are talking about, say to new people, that cms and or 3 link limits articulation... cause it doesnt.... at all...

I personally dont give a crap about articulation. it gets you in trouble more often than not. My rigs always have less than 4.25" of lift on any given tire for C2 and its on purpose. My C1 rigs have even less. And its a proven recipe...

Flex isnt everything guys. The sooner you figure that out youll be amazed at how well your rig can perform.

Rant over.
kaneohecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:57 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohecrawler View Post
Im just tired of people who have no clue what they are talking about, say to new people, that cms and or 3 link limits articulation... cause it doesnt.... at all...

I personally dont give a crap about articulation. it gets you in trouble more often than not. My rigs always have less than 4.25" of lift on any given tire for C2 and its on purpose. My C1 rigs have even less. And its a proven recipe...

Flex isnt everything guys. The sooner you figure that out youll be amazed at how well your rig can perform.

Rant over.
This whole section is full of garbage misinformation. It really needs a sticky at the top with links to threads with proven information on topics such as CMS/3link, "First Upgrades" with explanations as to why you need to upgrade transmission gears if you upgrade to metal driveshafts, etc.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:51 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Limited articulation is a good thing, have a look in the comp section... rear sway bar is all the rage now.

However, a properly setup 3link/cms doesn't limit suspension articulation and causes no bumpsteer. If you favor performance over scale then keep it on the axle, it's easier and cms is for looks only. Flex like it's '04
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:03 PM   #11
RCC Addict

and points if you compete
ToyZuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:21 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisbaby View Post
With all due respect dude, use the search tool. I typed in CMS under the Axial SCX10 section and got 154 hits. Its been explained over and over again.

CMS is more for scale looks than for functional improvements...

yes, that lovely use the search phrase. I have searched, read, and watched. most threads are years and years old and usually aren't too informative.

I realize flex isn't everything. I'm not trying to turn 6 inch shocks and have massive flex. I just want to keep what I have right now and not lose it. I know the cms is more for looks but having the servo up on the frame will be better for me as I go in water quite often. I just wanted to get a little input befor dropping 115$ on the kit. I don't do any comps although some day I would like to get into that.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:09 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by urnot2brightru View Post
yes, that lovely use the search phrase. I have searched, read, and watched. most threads are years and years old and usually aren't too informative.

I realize flex isn't everything. I'm not trying to turn 6 inch shocks and have massive flex. I just want to keep what I have right now and not lose it. I know the cms is more for looks but having the servo up on the frame will be better for me as I go in water quite often. I just wanted to get a little input befor dropping 115$ on the kit. I don't do any comps although some day I would like to get into that.
If you set up the cms so the panhard and drag link are parallel and the same length you will have no issues at all. The RC4WD kit is done this way.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:41 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyZuki View Post
Like stated above. Cms is 5 scale points and if properly setup has 0 bump steer. When bending links for clearance remember each bend shortens the link a little and you may have to unthread it a little to compensate. Also keep in mind that most every kit is designed for stock knuckles. Adding histeer knuckles changes the link mount points of the rod your trying to parralel. Adding 0 Ackerman knuckles changes the length of the rod your trying to match in length. Rolling your axle to create caster or correct pinion angle effects the parralel. Not everyone understands the mechanical engineering of steering geometry and that's where the "it doesn't work" feedback comes from. Very soon I will be releasing my bolt on cms kit that has multiple panhard mounting options to correct your bump steer no matter what knuckles your running.
The adjustability in your bolt on (I'm taking this to mean no drilling, perhaps boring out a hole on the chassis rails) kit sounds good, are you going to have a version that works with the shorter Dingo wheelbase?
khj94704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:23 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine4x4 View Post
If you set up the cms so the panhard and drag link are parallel and the same length you will have no issues at all. The RC4WD kit is done this way.

I was looking at the rc4wd kit with panhard but since I need new links anyways i'll just snag the vanquish kit. Appreciate people's input.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:25 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by urnot2brightru View Post
I was looking at the rc4wd kit with panhard but since I need new links anyways i'll just snag the vanquish kit. Appreciate people's input.
Vanquish's kit is the bees knees, just too rich for my blood since I make any new metal links I need. I wish they would release their axle mounted panhard/3-link bracket by itself, killer design.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:30 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Mine is the rc4wd setup and i really like it...not a single issue with it...

Last edited by allanon1965; 03-26-2014 at 06:34 PM.
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote

question about 3 Link / CMS / Panhard Conversion Kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CMS Panhard kit VP or Level3 RNUOVR Axial Wraith 29 02-10-2016 01:25 AM
vanquish cms/panhard/link kit racer Axial SCX-10 13 10-14-2014 10:29 PM
CMS Kit for SCX10 with Panhard Blue Monkey RC Chassis and Suspension 76 05-28-2014 11:46 AM
CMS w/Panhard or 4 Link F/R? alexchen86 General Crawlers 1 05-18-2013 06:28 AM