Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Transmissin mirroring problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2014, 02:09 AM   #1

Default Transmissin mirroring problems.

I drove my rig today for the first time after doing the above noted mod. I did notice that my motor seems to be riding on on of the forward link bars is this normal? Also when I get moving at anything above 1/2 throttle it starts chattering like something is out if balance. I checked to make sure I wasn't slipping the transmission gears and nothing. I also 4 linked the from and installed a cms. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Satheddal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2014, 02:30 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Transmissin mirroring problems.

If u did a cms then the front should NOT be a 4 link. It should b a 3 link front w/ panhard bar and the front upper link should b on the same side as the panhard mount for the axle. I run a mirrored trans with cms panhard and don't notice the issues u have.
ssdub33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:09 AM   #3

Ok I will fix that today. Did you ever notice a clearance problem with the motor?
Old 05-24-2014, 11:04 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Yeah between my front upper link lock nut is against the motor. So I have just have to loosen the trans bolts on the skid to get clearance to tighten the lock nut.
ssdub33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:27 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Your chattering or unbalanced problem may be due to your drive shafts being out of phase. Each part (male female) have marks on them. Make sure they are in line or else they will cause imbalance.
raceeng18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:41 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

^ phase the drive shaft...
there are marks to determine proper alignment

if those are ground off or not visible...
align the universal pins, at each end of the shaft,
with each other.

far as the nut hitting the motor...
reverse the bolt position so that the nut
is on the outside of the chassis.

the smaller button head bolt should offer more clearance.
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:29 PM   #7

Thanks I will check the drive shafts when I get out there. Turning the bolt around is a great idea also. My problem was more the fact that the chassis end link was hitting the motor since I incorporated the larger end links and had to space it from the frame. So I reduced the spacer length and now I only get a tiny bit if rub on the frame at full travel on one side.

All that being said. Why do you have to run a three link with a panhard bar? I tried the flex with only three links and then with four and didn't notice any deference. Just curious. I'm new to all this and to be honest I like the symmetry of four links. A little OCD I know.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:43 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I'm pretty sure that its because with a CMS, the servo is solid to the chassis and will want to push/pull the axle laterally when its trying to steer. The Panhard bar will prevent this. I run the RC4WD CMS and it came with the Panhard setup. I get just as much articulation as I would if it were 4-linked.
Scionizer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:43 PM   #9

Ok I can see that. I will just rub it both ways and find out what works best for what I'm using for I guess. I'm gabbing up new metal steering links now and hope to have her all back together sometime tomorrow.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:28 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satheddal View Post
Thanks I will check the drive shafts when I get out there. Turning the bolt around is a great idea also. My problem was more the fact that the chassis end link was hitting the motor since I incorporated the larger end links and had to space it from the frame. So I reduced the spacer length and now I only get a tiny bit if rub on the frame at full travel on one side.

All that being said. Why do you have to run a three link with a panhard bar? I tried the flex with only three links and then with four and didn't notice any deference. Just curious. I'm new to all this and to be honest I like the symmetry of four links. A little OCD I know.
The 3 link/panhard setup allows more room than a 4 link. At least in the 1:1 world. Potentially you can remove the upper link that is causing interference. There is potential for binding with a 4link /panhard setup.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:14 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Yeah that chattering sound are the driveshafts. As long as they are lined up (the screws or the alignment marks) from the front axle to the transmission to the rear axle then that sound will stop. As far as the links, if you have a panhard bar and 4-link then you need to remove one of the upper links because a panhard bar doesn't work well with 4-link,especially if you have a CMS. Also, make sure that those driveshafts are not at a full angle, meaning that the yoke can't turn due to it having taller suspension. Hope this helped, - axial 4x4 crawler
axial 4x4 crawler is offline   Reply With Quote

Transmissin mirroring problems. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith tranny mirroring? juttsvw Axial Wraith 18 04-07-2016 09:38 AM
Transmission mirroring CrawlCrest Axial AX10 2nd-gen 3 12-12-2013 08:26 PM
mirroring an axial transmission? theloudone Newbie General 1 08-11-2012 09:23 PM
mirroring the trans scoutkrlr Axial AX-10 Scorpion 2 01-14-2011 08:59 PM
mirroring trans? pontiacfreak General Crawlers 10 01-05-2010 07:20 PM