Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: My First Crawler Build SCX-10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 08:30 PM   #1

Default My First Crawler Build SCX-10

Hello everyone, I'm new to the crawler hobby. Not new to RC in general. I own a few drift cars; one being a StreetJam OTA-R31. If you're familiar with RC Drift, you know what I'm talkin' about!! I also own an OFNA 4x4 SC truck. But this is a crawler forum, so I'll shut up about all that other stuff.

I've been creepin' these forums for around 2-3 years, always wanted a crawler. Spent too much $$ while I was stationed in Japan on the drift stuff, so never got around to a crawler build. But I got bored the other day and decided to pull the trigger on a Honcho SCX-10 chassis (roller with no wheels... so not sure what it is technically). Just a bare chassis for $179 on ebay, new. I would've bought the Dingo kit, but I am not a fan of those wheels, or that body. So instead of spending the extra $$ ($249 builder's kit) on a kit with those extra parts I wasn't going to use, I thought this was a better idea.

Yesterday I went ahead and ordered the F-250 Pro-line cab. I also ordered the "Pro-Line Interco TSL SX Super Swamper XL 1.9" G8 Rock" tires, and the "Pro-line FaultLine Bead-Loc 10 Spoke" wheels. I plan to pick up some rear bed sides because I don't really want to do the truggy look. Planning on painting it white.

The chassis I ordered didn't come with the rear caged area like the honcho normally has, so I haven't decided what to do yet exactly... Ideas?

Hopefully my parts arrive soon and I can get her put together a bit!
TrickFlowFive0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2014, 05:39 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: My First Crawler Build SCX-10

You could go with dinky bed sides, I've seen a few f250's with those on. I think You would need the cage. Looks like you got a good start!
79SCX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #3

Thanks 79!

Those were the ones I was looking at. Although you're right, I do need the rear cage. I was wondering if there were other ways to do it... Maybe if I was a bit more crafty with metal. But I'll probably just buy the cage pieces and throw the dinky kit on there.

USPS has my parts arriving the middle of next week, which sucks. It's hard not to just impulse buy a bunch of stuff right now, but I'm controlling myself. I'll just go look at some pictures of everyone's builds to hold me over I guess. I really like the look of the FOFF builds. I will probably throw some paddle tires on my SC 4x4 truck and buy some 3-4s lipos for it when I order the electronics for this build.

STRC will be my choice for suspension parts selection because I'm on a bit of a budget, and I've had good luck with them in the past. I really like the vanquish stuff, but DAAAAAMN! I have too many hobbies.
I'm glad I can come here to RCC and share the experience with some guys who can justify spending money on this cool stuff!
Old 04-03-2014, 03:11 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Just purchased the same roller from Ebay for $179- for my 6 yr old son!

Question: If you're not a fan of the truggy look why did you purchase the cab only? I think that's what the cab only is specifically for. You could get an Axial Trail Honcho cage for it and the Dinky bedside kit or I think you can get a metal cage for it from RC4WD.

You just need a body for a 12.3" wheelbase. You could go with one of Axial's or Pro Line makes a few specifically for an SCX-10. I'm running the 1980 Chevy on my RTR Honcho which was actually made for T/E/2.5-MAXX, REVO 2.5 & Savage. Just check the "spec" tab for wheelbase. I took my truck to my LHS and the 1980 lined up perfect despite showing an 11" wheelbase on the Pro Line website.

My son and I will ultimately be building the SCX-10 version of the AX-10 Deadbolt with our chassis. Deadbolt body, 2.2 Axial Beadlocks and Ripsaws.

Have fun with this genre of the hobby. I've only been into "scaling" since Xmas, but not new to the hobby like yourself. You'll find that you're constantly searching for places to explore now that you have this thing!

Last edited by DowntownScience; 04-03-2014 at 03:15 PM.
DowntownScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:01 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickFlowFive0 View Post
Hello everyone, I'm new to the crawler hobby. Not new to RC in general. I own a few drift cars; one being a StreetJam OTA-R31. If you're familiar with RC Drift, you know what I'm talkin' about!! I also own an OFNA 4x4 SC truck. But this is a crawler forum, so I'll shut up about all that other stuff.

I've been creepin' these forums for around 2-3 years, always wanted a crawler. Spent too much $$ while I was stationed in Japan on the drift stuff, so never got around to a crawler build. But I got bored the other day and decided to pull the trigger on a Honcho SCX-10 chassis (roller with no wheels... so not sure what it is technically). Just a bare chassis for $179 on ebay, new. I would've bought the Dingo kit, but I am not a fan of those wheels, or that body. So instead of spending the extra $$ ($249 builder's kit) on a kit with those extra parts I wasn't going to use, I thought this was a better idea.

Yesterday I went ahead and ordered the F-250 Pro-line cab. I also ordered the "Pro-Line Interco TSL SX Super Swamper XL 1.9" G8 Rock" tires, and the "Pro-line FaultLine Bead-Loc 10 Spoke" wheels. I plan to pick up some rear bed sides because I don't really want to do the truggy look. Planning on painting it white.

The chassis I ordered didn't come with the rear caged area like the honcho normally has, so I haven't decided what to do yet exactly... Ideas?

Looks like a good start man! When the bug bites, it bites HARD!You'll be broke in no time you mentioned "stationed in Japan", and I saw the boots in the background. Thank you for service sir! As for the rear cage...My crawl spot has steep hills and lava rock, makes for some bad tumbles. I fould this on ebay. (overpayed by $15.00 but nobody had em.) and love it! Lets see this rig on the trail!

Tube Back half w/ lexan bed for Axial SCX10
marcb527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:08 PM   #6

Yep! I guess that seller makes more money separating the kit like that. Maybe I should've said, "I don't like the truggy look without the bed sides." I am alright with a truggy, but with the honcho, it's been done several times. I don't want mine to be another F-250 cab with a cage on the rear. The bed sides will make it look a little different IMO.

I knew I wanted to build an F-250, and I really like the model (2011) that the cab is. I didn't want to have to extend the wheelbase to fit the larger Pro-line body. I also didn't want to spend all that money on the Tamiya kit... So the cab body (and the dinky bed) made the most sense to me. Maybe the 2008 crew cab pro-line body doesn't require a stretched wheelbase, but I thought it did. If that's the case, then I'll use the excuse that I like the 2011 bodystyle better, which is true. Thank you for the info on the bodies though, I know if there's a will, there's a way. I don't think there's anything wrong with the other bodies, I just had to have the 2011 model.

Sometimes I wish I had a kid to share the experience with, because my girlfriend sure doesn't appreciate it like we do! I'm barely in my 20's so I'm sure my days are numbered. I really like the way the Deadbolt looks, and the Wraith. The narrower body with the large tires just looks good, like it wants to be flexed.

I know what you mean about searching for places, even though I haven't finished it yet. I was thinking, "Well where are some damn rocks???" My girlfriend also asked me where I'm going to drive it. I'll find some place I'm sure. South Georgia doesn't offer much in the mountainous category.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:13 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

Looks like a good start man! When the bug bites, it bites HARD!You'll be broke in no time you mentioned "stationed in Japan", and I saw the boots in the background. Thank you for service sir! As for the rear cage...My crawl spot has steep hills and lava rock, makes for some bad tumbles. I fould this on ebay. (overpayed by $15.00 but nobody had em.) and love it! Lets see this rig on the trail!

Tube Back half w/ lexan bed for Axial SCX10
Old 04-03-2014, 04:15 PM   #8

Thank you Marcb. Just doing my job!

I have always been a model lover, (cars and women!) and started with the snap-tite kits forever ago. I was probably 8 or so. I've never driven a crawler, so I'm not certain that I'll love it. But I enjoy building as much as driving, so I'm sure I'll like it.

Thank you for the link, ebay doesn't work on these gov computers so I'll check it out when I get home. As far as going broke, my buddy always told me, "You can't take it ($$$) with ya!" That's true, and it has given me a good excuse to impulse buy every now and then.

I'm playing the waiting game over here until next week. I'll be sure to upload some more pictures. Maybe I'll start looking into the free-mod category and knock out some stuff to keep me occupied.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:32 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Thanks 79!

Those were the ones I was looking at. Although you're right, I do need the rear cage. I was wondering if there were other ways to do it... Maybe if I was a bit more crafty with metal. But I'll probably just buy the cage pieces and throw the dinky kit on there.

USPS has my parts arriving the middle of next week, which sucks. It's hard not to just impulse buy a bunch of stuff right now, but I'm controlling myself. I'll just go look at some pictures of everyone's builds to hold me over I guess. I really like the look of the FOFF builds. I will probably throw some paddle tires on my SC 4x4 truck and buy some 3-4s lipos for it when I order the electronics for this build.

STRC will be my choice for suspension parts selection because I'm on a bit of a budget, and I've had good luck with them in the past. I really like the vanquish stuff, but DAAAAAMN! I have too many hobbies.
I'm glad I can come here to RCC and share the experience with some guys who can justify spending money on this cool stuff!
I've never seen a truck with dinky bedsides with out a cag, I would think it could be done. I said I was going to do a budget build but that didn't happen. I've always had good luck strc, vanquish products are pretty expensive. I can't wait to see how this truck turns out.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:24 PM   #10

Thanks man. I'll end up with the cage I'm sure. As long as I have some bed sides on it, I'm good with it.

Screw the budget!!
Old 04-03-2014, 07:30 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Thanks man. I'll end up with the cage I'm sure. As long as I have some bed sides on it, I'm good with it.

Screw the budget!!
Good thinking!
Old 04-04-2014, 04:45 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Yep! I guess that seller makes more money separating the kit like that. Maybe I should've said, "I don't like the truggy look without the bed sides." I am alright with a truggy, but with the honcho, it's been done several times. I don't want mine to be another F-250 cab with a cage on the rear. The bed sides will make it look a little different IMO.

I knew I wanted to build an F-250, and I really like the model (2011) that the cab is. I didn't want to have to extend the wheelbase to fit the larger Pro-line body. I also didn't want to spend all that money on the Tamiya kit... So the cab body (and the dinky bed) made the most sense to me. Maybe the 2008 crew cab pro-line body doesn't require a stretched wheelbase, but I thought it did. If that's the case, then I'll use the excuse that I like the 2011 bodystyle better, which is true. Thank you for the info on the bodies though, I know if there's a will, there's a way. I don't think there's anything wrong with the other bodies, I just had to have the 2011 model.

Sometimes I wish I had a kid to share the experience with, because my girlfriend sure doesn't appreciate it like we do! I'm barely in my 20's so I'm sure my days are numbered. I really like the way the Deadbolt looks, and the Wraith. The narrower body with the large tires just looks good, like it wants to be flexed.

I know what you mean about searching for places, even though I haven't finished it yet. I was thinking, "Well where are some damn rocks???" My girlfriend also asked me where I'm going to drive it. I'll find some place I'm sure. South Georgia doesn't offer much in the mountainous category.
My bad. Misunderstood on the truggy part. Then yes, the bedside kit is what you want! It looks pretty badass with the cage and wheel mount together.

If you're barely in your 20's then there is no hurry to have kids! Enjoy your life as you know it. Travel. Your life will change drastically once the kids come along! Not a bad thing, just the truth! I have a 6 yr. old boy and a 3 yr. old girl. It's bananas at my home!

Have you checked to see if there are any clubs in your area or competitions? That's where I have learned about most of the places I go to now. I've got a little something in the back yard to play around with, but it's nothing special!
Old 04-04-2014, 05:38 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Am I the only one who can't stand the look of the dinky bedsides? Haha. I run the 2011 cab on my Honcho as well, with the cage. What I did though was use the 2008 crew cab bedsides.

Look closely in the pic below, and you can see the 3 screws I used per side to attach them to the cage. The top forward screw is right to the cage, as is the rear screw. The front lower screw I have 4mm of spacers between the bedside and the cage.

The body lines aren't perfect, but at only about 1/8" off between the 2, it's more than close enough. I was not able to keep the tailgate though, as the cage is just a bit too wide for the 08 bed width. But if you don't use a cage, You could keep the tailgate and mount the bed to the cab with a few simple "L" brackets.

Hope that helped

-Derek

Last edited by SuperDrty; 04-04-2014 at 05:41 PM.
SuperDrty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:40 AM   #14

Not a big deal Downtown, I may have represented my statement wrong. I kinda contradicted myself.

I don't have many rocks even in my neighborhood, let alone my backyard. Maybe I need to build a small pile. As for traveling, I spent two years in Okinawa, JP, and I've been to a few other places. I'm sure my days are numbered, but not in a big rush to turn my house into a zoo either lol. I haven't checked to see about any clubs but there might be. RC isn't big here at all. Everyone says the shops don't stay in business for long and then they're gone. There's none within 30 mins, and I've looked quite a bit.

SuperDuty, that is EXACTLY what I'm talkin' about!!! Nice man! It'd probably cost the same for me to buy the proline 08 crewcab instead of the dinky stuff. I'll compare. But damn, that truck looks good. Thank you for posting it up! Awesome idea.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:53 AM   #15

Removed the limiters in my infinite boredom. Still awaiting parts, due Wednesday. I'm sure you've all done this, and if you haven't, you probably think I should've left them on there. I think I want them off from what I've read, although I haven't driven it yet. Time to look at the Free mod threads.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:00 AM   #16

Went ahead and raised the bumper. Like I've been saying, I know I haven't driven it, but I'm going to mod a few things beforehand. Feel free to criticize if I do something completely crazy.

You guys that have been around this forum for awhile have probably also seen this a million times, but I'm going to post pictures of it anyway. I'm a n00b so I want to be as descriptive as possible with my build, and everything I do with it. Just in case another newbie happens to come through here, it might save him/her some searching in the DIY sections.

Here's the two simple mounts I made with scrap sheetmetal. I could've made an "L-bracket" or maybe even a bracket with (4) screw holes for a more stable mount. Call me lazy, I just went with two, and it's tight. (That's what she said)

Well there you go, Axial SCX-10 bumper mod number 12,352. I probably won't even use this bumper, but whatevs.

I wonder what else I can screw up.............
Enjoy the weekend kiddies!
Take it easy y'all!
Old 04-05-2014, 10:09 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Not a big deal Downtown, I may have represented my statement wrong. I kinda contradicted myself.

I don't have many rocks even in my neighborhood, let alone my backyard. Maybe I need to build a small pile. As for traveling, I spent two years in Okinawa, JP, and I've been to a few other places. I'm sure my days are numbered, but not in a big rush to turn my house into a zoo either lol. I haven't checked to see about any clubs but there might be. RC isn't big here at all. Everyone says the shops don't stay in business for long and then they're gone. There's none within 30 mins, and I've looked quite a bit.

SuperDuty, that is EXACTLY what I'm talkin' about!!! Nice man! It'd probably cost the same for me to buy the proline 08 crewcab instead of the dinky stuff. I'll compare. But damn, that truck looks good. Thank you for posting it up! Awesome idea.
Check the REGIONAL section on this site. Just saw stuff for GA.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2014, 10:12 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Went ahead and raised the bumper. Like I've been saying, I know I haven't driven it, but I'm going to mod a few things beforehand. Feel free to criticize if I do something completely crazy.

You guys that have been around this forum for awhile have probably also seen this a million times, but I'm going to post pictures of it anyway. I'm a n00b so I want to be as descriptive as possible with my build, and everything I do with it. Just in case another newbie happens to come through here, it might save him/her some searching in the DIY sections.

Here's the two simple mounts I made with scrap sheetmetal. I could've made an "L-bracket" or maybe even a bracket with (4) screw holes for a more stable mount. Call me lazy, I just went with two, and it's tight. (That's what she said)

Well there you go, Axial SCX-10 bumper mod number 12,352. I probably won't even use this bumper, but whatevs.

I wonder what else I can screw up.............
Enjoy the weekend kiddies!
Take it easy y'all!
I have purchased 3 or 4 different bumpers but came back to this one. You can cut the outer triangles out for better clearance. It's actually a good looking bumper and takes both lights and a winch.

You can see how I cut mine in the thread about Honcho turned 80 chevy.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #19

Found my driver.

Downtown, thank you for the tips. Your bumper looks killer! I dig the truck.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:17 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Thank you Marcb. Just doing my job!

I have always been a model lover, (cars and women!) and started with the snap-tite kits forever ago. I was probably 8 or so. I've never driven a crawler, so I'm not certain that I'll love it. But I enjoy building as much as driving, so I'm sure I'll like it.

Thank you for the link, ebay doesn't work on these gov computers so I'll check it out when I get home. As far as going broke, my buddy always told me, "You can't take it ($$$) with ya!" That's true, and it has given me a good excuse to impulse buy every now and then.

I'm playing the waiting game over here until next week. I'll be sure to upload some more pictures. Maybe I'll start looking into the free-mod category and knock out some stuff to keep me occupied.

Hell of a "job" you guys do brother
Free mod section is awes ome and everyone is always finding something new!

My First Crawler Build SCX-10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Scx-10 build. tstmonkey Axial SCX-10 1 02-28-2014 07:46 AM
AX-10 to SCX build zion23 General Crawlers 19 12-11-2012 02:13 AM
my scx/xr 10 build swamp7bomb Axial SCX-10 3 10-09-2012 01:16 AM
Scx build eatchow General Scale Talk 2 06-27-2009 06:27 PM