Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Cheap Stronger Shafts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 07:13 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Cheap Stronger Shafts

ive been running my crawler for a few years and i think i want a set of tougher shafts, whats a good brand/ set, ive found lots of sets on ebay for 20-30$ range but im not sure what to get,

im running 107mm traxxas lower links, stock uppers ( with a small spacer ) and losi comp crawler shocks

stock drive shafts are just a little bit too short, but they last quite awhile still

anyways, id like to keep it Cheap.!

thanks !
stompjrkz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2014, 07:15 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

If u talking drive shafts go with junfacs new are 34 and they are carbon steel prob find cheaper here

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
jdmguy760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:17 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Cheap Stronger Shafts

Cheap OR strong pick one.

Best bang for the buck start to finish is doing the XR mod.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

i run silver can 27 turns and stock gearing, 1.9s, wasnt sure if i needed top of the line shafts, but ill look into the junfacs
Old 04-07-2014, 08:07 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Cheap is more take-off Ebay special wildboars or Traxxas stampede shaft and swapping them out as needed.

Strong is MIP's and occasionally taking them apart for cleaning/fresh grease, occasional pin.

As someone who has run the Junfacs and MIP's, don't waste your money on the Junfacs. The pin is smaller than the MIP's and the slip section is a D-shape which binds horribly under load once it's used a bit.
meatmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:04 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
Cheap is more take-off Ebay special wildboars or Traxxas stampede shaft and swapping them out as needed.

Strong is MIP's and occasionally taking them apart for cleaning/fresh grease, occasional pin.

As someone who has run the Junfacs and MIP's, don't waste your money on the Junfacs. The pin is smaller than the MIP's and the slip section is a D-shape which binds horribly under load once it's used a bit.
Maybe I'm just cheap, but it's hard to beat a $20 set of wild boars from the 'bay.
khj94704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:20 PM   #7
RCC Addict

with a 2s and a silver can 27T the stock shafts are plenty reliable...You can strengthen them quit a bit by sliding a tube or part of a plastic parts tree inside the male end and you will never twist them with that power..The ends are a different story..they all wear out but last much longer with proper care...Im already almost one year on a set of stock driveshafts without the mod to them...turn them upside down so the ribbed section is up high and they will last even longer because the ribs don't get scored on rocks causing them not to move in and out properly.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:39 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
with a 2s and a silver can 27T the stock shafts are plenty reliable...You can strengthen them quit a bit by sliding a tube or part of a plastic parts tree inside the male end and you will never twist them with that power..The ends are a different story..they all wear out but last much longer with proper care...Im already almost one year on a set of stock driveshafts without the mod to them...turn them upside down so the ribbed section is up high and they will last even longer because the ribs don't get scored on rocks causing them not to move in and out properly.
with stock shafts im mostly just ruin the universal after time, the holes oval out and then they start falling out.

i just picked up a set of wb8s off a wraith for 15 to try, im guessing they will work for me
Old 04-08-2014, 06:01 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Take a look at crawler innovations and pick up some traxxas emaxx driveshafts. You can fit the whole rig for $20. These are super beefy. Only thing is you'll need the trans outputs and axle pinions with the thru hole. Most of the aftermarket shafts require this now anyway.

If you have the old axial style with a flat spot on the trans output and pinion, then a set of MIPS for the ax10 0801 (I think) are only $40.

Dna
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:09 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

im running the stock wild boars on several of my 3s brushless powered rigs and have only snapped 2.

They are pretty stout and you have to be doing something stupid or just don't know how to drive without getting it in a bind.
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:23 AM   #11
RCC Addict

I'm running stock shafts (with a parts tree inserted into the male end) and with 3S and a Holmes Hobbies 13t crawlmaster, i've got no issues

But i'll be going with MIP's in my ultra4 rig as it'll have a mamba max pro and Pro4 powered by 3-4s
Richterat83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:02 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

You can beef up stock shafts my either filling them with silicon or drilling them out and stuffing like a 1/4" rod down them, then you just worry about the u joints, ive run stock shafts almost a year with an integy 55t on 3s and i just have a silly cotter pin shoved in the rear cause i started to twist it.
donnielovett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:50 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Are you using the wild boar shafts or the older plastic u-joint style? The Wild Boar shafts come with longer and shorter shafts that you can change as need be. They are;however, hollow and as Donnie said, can be filled to strengthen. I personally do not drill the shafts - I simply pick up 6mm stainless bolts from Lowes and shove them into the shaft, then trim off the excess...keeps them from squishing and twisting.

Tough as nails!
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:35 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompjrkz400 View Post
with stock shafts im mostly just ruin the universal after time, the holes oval out and then they start falling out.

i just picked up a set of wb8s off a wraith for 15 to try, im guessing they will work for me
The normal wear on the universals will happen no matter what brand you get..some cleaning and re lubing (dry lube) helps but when on the trails what gets in there will do its damage no matter what...Some have tried I guess boots or some type of cover to help keep sand/mud out of them.

Same goes for universal axles..Drive it in sand and mud and you pay the consequences over a period of time no matter how good they are.

You're not pushing enough power to need anything expensive..just replace them with stock again and let it eat till till you need a another set.

Turn the axles upside down so the ribs are close to the tranny and not the rear axle...it will help a little for that part of the drive shafts.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 04-08-2014 at 01:39 PM.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cheap Stronger Shafts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
stronger front axle shafts with cvd? vxlblitz Axial SCX-10 9 06-28-2012 03:49 PM
More steering and stronger drive shafts m1009cucv Axial SCX-10 23 05-05-2012 08:10 AM
Stronger axle shafts? suzuki Axial Wraith 4 09-22-2011 12:21 PM
Stronger Axle Shafts? kazuaki HPI Wheely King 1 07-25-2010 05:04 PM
stronger pede shafts Hoser Tamiya TLT Crawlers 5 11-03-2007 07:19 AM