Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: What length shocks do you run?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 02:05 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default What length shocks do you run?

I'm curious what length shocks people are running to satisfy clearance, low COG, and articulation.
Do you also run lift or droop?

What's your magic setup?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
DowntownScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2014, 05:24 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: What length shocks do you run?

100mm Losi comp shocks limited to 93mm mounted in Alpha Angle...30wt oil..1.8lb springs..custom modded pistons
Stock ride height..stock body height...stock tire diameter

Last edited by 6sharky9; 04-09-2014 at 04:17 PM.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:37 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownScience View Post
I'm curious what length shocks people are running to satisfy clearance, low COG, and articulation.
Do you also run lift or droop?

What's your magic setup?

Stock scx10 shocks in front...stock springs. 75% compressed at ride hight
Rear Aluminum big bores limited internally to 85mm with Tmaxx red springs. Has a significant forward weight bias.

I don't have much flex at all, but the minimal flex and stiff rear springs make a very predictable and stable crawler. Body is right down on the frame, running flat fenders to clear 4.75" tall Compass tires

Also there is no such thing as a magic set up. 100 different people will tell you 100 different ways to set up a truck, but its up to you to find your ideal setup.
Cheers!

Last edited by gottorque; 04-08-2014 at 11:40 PM.
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:49 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

stock losi shocks with 1.8 springs. mounted on the inner holes on the top and moved to the bottom to the outside of the mount with a longer screw.
some87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:20 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Stock icon aluminum shocks, rear hole in front and middle on rear. Stock springs. 30wt oil. All on my fiances unlimited rubi kit version. Works great but need more weight up front. Going to swap the battery up front and electrics to the back
Kesuai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:46 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottorque View Post
Stock scx10 shocks in front...stock springs. 75% compressed at ride hight
Rear Aluminum big bores limited internally to 85mm with Tmaxx red springs. Has a significant forward weight bias.

I don't have much flex at all, but the minimal flex and stiff rear springs make a very predictable and stable crawler. Body is right down on the frame, running flat fenders to clear 4.75" tall Compass tires

Also there is no such thing as a magic set up. 100 different people will tell you 100 different ways to set up a truck, but its up to you to find your ideal setup.
Cheers!

I understand that everyone is going to have a different set-up, I was just curious what "your magic setup" is. I'm still trying to find mine!

I immediately went to a 100mm shock after stock thinking that it was all about how much articulation you can get. Now I'm thinking that mass amounts of articulation are really just for pictures and don't really help much on the trail. If anything I think it makes the truck loose/wobbly.

I had purchased some VP SCX Limiting straps and noticed that they're only 3.25". Seems that this may be the "magic" length that you want to work toward!

This afternoon I pulled the 100 mm shocks in favor of some AE V2 front shocks (3.25" eye to eye). The limiting straps fit perfect and now I think I'm back around the stock ride height. Still have a decent amount of articulation, but now side to side (pressing on one side of the truck) is much tighter. Not like a boat in in a big swell....if that makes any sense to you all!
Old 04-09-2014, 06:01 PM   #7
RCC Addict

103 mm Gmade piggies with fairly stiff springs up front, this rig is a pig!

Love them!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Norton; 04-09-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:25 PM   #8
RCC Addict

While were at it, you have to put up better pics than your front yard. Throw that thing in some mud, It does not take that much to make it worthy.

Hint on cleaning: While still wet, Simple green and compressed air.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2014, 11:43 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
Not ripping on ya shark but the pics above are where I test and from trial and error a modified stock will do great for about 30 mins. Then you break! 2S, 3S, I don't give a crap. When you finally go to a comp you will understand.
On the other have a buddy with a Honcho with VP chubs and knuckles, links and stock motor and that killed the place. Well, I left out the 500oz servo.

Oh yea, stock shocks. No alpha angle LOL.
lol..how does my shock set up lead to what else I use or location of my pics??..you cant really run alpha angle with stock shocks anyways because it lowers the vehicle to much and you actually lose wheel travel.. Hence my going with 93mm eye to eye...Maybe you meant this to be in my smack talk thread?

I agree with testing in a comp...if all goes well ill be at the one coming up in PA

Last edited by 6sharky9; 04-09-2014 at 11:47 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:21 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I'm going to say what everybody is thinking, show us your rig doing anything other than your lawn or steps. Well, I think I saw you trying to climb a shale hill? Your modified rig will fail at comps. I will say though, all that matters is that your still happy with your rig.

Last edited by Norton; 04-10-2014 at 12:24 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:35 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
I'm going to say what everybody is thinking, show us your rig doing anything other than your lawn or steps. Well, I think I saw you trying to climb a shale hill? Your modified rig will fail at comps. I will say though, all that matters is that your still happy with your rig.

Ok..thanks..appreciate your opinion
Old 04-10-2014, 12:38 AM   #12

I have a honcho with 1.9 iroks. I run 90mm hot racing "scale" shocks. Fronts are tipped back with the stock shock mount and medium springs...back shocks are triangulated with a custom crossmember and soft springs. Works fantastic!! I love these hot racing shocks. Way smoother than stockers and look mostly scale. And less than $40 for a set f & r.
olskooltoyotaluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:46 AM   #13

I run 93mm Gmade piggybacks. Still experimenting with setup so I have no preferred way to run my shocks... yet. I do kind of wish I had went with the 103mm shocks instead, is it just the rod that is longer or is the shock body longer as well?
Fauker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:20 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I just switched from from Gmade piggyback 103s to pro line slash fronts 90mm with +5mm rod ends so 95mm on all 4 corners. Lower COG same amount of travel as the Gmade. Will see at the Iron Mountain G6 this weekend!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
DaveQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:30 AM   #15

pretty good info on the thread, I was about to replace my stock scx10 shocks to get better flex and articulation. But seems like i will stay with my stocks for now.

Last edited by rovot; 04-10-2014 at 07:35 AM.
rovot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:47 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
lol..how does my shock set up lead to what else I use or location of my pics??..you cant really run alpha angle with stock shocks anyways because it lowers the vehicle to much and you actually lose wheel travel.. Hence my going with 93mm eye to eye...Maybe you meant this to be in my smack talk thread?

I agree with testing in a comp...if all goes well ill be at the one coming up in PA
Sure you can...lowering the vehicle=lower COG. Lose wheel travel? Sorry, 90* of flex is too much

Ill take less flex and more stability over your alpha angle any day.
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:48 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Sure you can...lowering the vehicle=lower COG. Lose wheel travel? Sorry, 90* of flex is too much

I'm finding this to be gospel!

Old 04-10-2014, 12:20 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:

Cool..enjoy
Old 04-10-2014, 05:17 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownScience View Post
I understand that everyone is going to have a different set-up, I was just curious what "your magic setup" is. I'm still trying to find mine!

I immediately went to a 100mm shock after stock thinking that it was all about how much articulation you can get. Now I'm thinking that mass amounts of articulation are really just for pictures and don't really help much on the trail. If anything I think it makes the truck loose/wobbly.

I had purchased some VP SCX Limiting straps and noticed that they're only 3.25". Seems that this may be the "magic" length that you want to work toward!

This afternoon I pulled the 100 mm shocks in favor of some AE V2 front shocks (3.25" eye to eye). The limiting straps fit perfect and now I think I'm back around the stock ride height. Still have a decent amount of articulation, but now side to side (pressing on one side of the truck) is much tighter. Not like a boat in in a big swell....if that makes any sense to you all!
Here is a before and after. On the left 4" shocks. On the right 3.25" shocks.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:50 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Proline scaler shocks with the small grey springs replaced with the stock short springs. 40 weight oil.

Not a lot of flex, just enough to stay stable when I sidehill. Good foams also help with the way the suspension works, deuces wild are my foam of choice.

JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote

What length shocks do you run? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Length of big bore shocks jebster General Crawlers 2 09-11-2013 11:27 AM
What Length Shocks? FruitaCrawler General Crawlers 1 11-22-2009 08:52 PM
Length of axial shocks d-fly Axial AX-10 Scorpion 0 04-15-2009 06:31 PM
Whats the length of Hilift shocks? F250 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 10-20-2008 06:00 PM