Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: New scx10 owner/kit help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 09:53 PM   #1

Default New scx10 owner/kit help

New to the community and just bought my first scx10 rubicon kit.
Im reaching out to see what assembly mods/tricks that could smooth the process seeing as this is my first time.(terrible as that sounds)

i bought the kit for $250 off ebay and have almost everything i need to get it going. I have a Traxxas Rustler XL-5 so i was planning on using all electronics from it, just need to choose a transmitter and receiver. So Xl-5 speed controller,10t titan motor and stock trax servo.

To the nitty and gritty, any mod's,tweaks or general maintenance please give me some feedback. Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.

Happy to be apart of the fourm
FlubberBuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2014, 12:45 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: New scx10 owner/kit help

Your esc lacks drag brake, in my opinion pretty essential on a crawler/scaler like this. 10t motor is waaay too fast. Most people run 27-35t motors. You'll have to gear down a lot on pinion/spur. My guess is that it'll probably burn up or wear out quickly anyway. You'll be happier with a combo that suits your car better. At least the motor.

I'd move the battery forward instead of in the rear as the manual says. Mount your battery plate on the frame in front of the transmissiok or between shock hoops.
I'd also get a set of beadlocks and weight the front wheels some.
Odd-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:34 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd-M View Post
Your esc lacks drag brake, in my opinion pretty essential on a crawler/scaler like this. 10t motor is waaay too fast. Most people run 27-35t motors. You'll have to gear down a lot on pinion/spur. My guess is that it'll probably burn up or wear out quickly anyway. You'll be happier with a combo that suits your car better. At least the motor.

I'd move the battery forward instead of in the rear as the manual says. Mount your battery plate on the frame in front of the transmissiok or between shock hoops.
Agreed, for ESC pickup either an AE-2 or BRXL and for motor maybe a 27t Axial or for more money Holmes Hobby torquemaster. I would do the aluminum links if they were not part of the kit you purchased as well.
RCTogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd-M View Post

Bummer, did some research what do your guys think about this ESC from hobbyking.Turnigy TrackStar 1/10 70A Waterproof Car ESC (Sensored Only)

Cheap and waterproof and they also have a combo that comes with a sensored motor. When looking for a brushless motor what KV range should stay within?
Thanks guys. Looks like I'll be selling my rustler.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:08 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I'd get an AE-2 off ebay for less than $50 new.

<<<< Tapatalk HD>>>>
dextan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:42 AM   #6

So I should stay brushed? I thought brushless was the better system and the hobbyking brushless system is waterproof and around the same price. Please get back to me I'm planning on ordering electronics today. Thanks
Old 04-17-2014, 09:45 AM   #7

Forgot to mention hobbyking esc has programmable drag brake
Old 04-17-2014, 10:55 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I just run brushed in my rigs. Cheaper, simpler and no need to be afraid of the motor getting wet. I don't know that Turnigy esc or motor but Hobbyking quality is questionable in my experience. Castle Sidewinder3 is fairly priced and waterproof, very easy to program with Castle Link. Like it a lot. You can also waterproof just about all electronics yourself. Tekin, Brood, Holmes, Novak and many others have good brushed motors at reasonable prices.
Oh, get a BEC for your servo. Castle 10A will do fine.
Odd-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:18 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

The hk stuff isn't bad, isn't great either. You'll want sensored if you plan to crawl at all. That's where not much comes waterproof. Mostly the worry lies in the esc, as it can short and let the magic smoke out. The motor not so much. If it's not waterproofed, you'll lose the rotor sensing when wet but it comes back when dried out after a few mins at operating temperature. Do that repeatedly and eventually connections can become corroded, best to coat the sensor board in the motor with something.

Brushed is indeed cheaper and easier, but also can be finicky if not properly taken care of in rough conditions. Not to mention lacking in the raw torque dept in most cases.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:51 PM   #10

I was banging my head on weather to get brushed and AE-2 or HobbyKing Brushless until i stumbled across this -> Fly Sky FS-iT4 4 Channel 2.4ghz Telemetry Radio RC Transmitter System w/ Touch Screen (Titanium)

Looks like ill be able to program the Drag brake through the Trans. Which will ultimately allow me to use my Traxxas XL-5 ESC! Booyah

What do you guys think?.. From the reviews i can see that theirs some binding issues, not to worried about it only have one car.

Also found an awesome mod that shows me how to use my Traxxas waterproof enclosure on the scx. So ill be stealing that from the Rustler.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:00 PM   #11

ahhhh, and its a four channel! So i could get a winch. Chicka Chicka
Old 04-17-2014, 05:34 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Not necessarily, some 3 or 4 channels doesn't have a 3-way switch to control your winch properly... Unless via 3rd party switch. Saying that, yeah, go get a winch.

<<<< Tapatalk HD>>>>
dextan22 is offline   Reply With Quote

New scx10 owner/kit help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Axial SCX10 Jeep owner pvo_srt4 Axial SCX-10 4 08-03-2013 08:41 PM
Soon to be crawler owner (scx10) scooba_285 Newbie General 10 03-26-2013 08:08 PM
New Dingo SCX10 owner here Dingo_8_My_baby Newbie General 13 11-08-2012 09:00 PM
New SCX10 owner RODMAN Axial SCX-10 13 01-08-2011 05:33 PM
new scx10 owner stevelknievel Axial SCX-10 10 08-10-2009 11:49 PM