Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Battery Placement Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 09:54 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Battery Placement Questions

Im hoping to get some help from the crawler elders out there. I've searched around and seen many many different set ups on battery placement. My question is this, Are there advantages to mounting the battery about the front axle vs. between the axle and the motor vs. on the sliders??? I havent decided yet if i want to run a large lipo or two smaller lipos in parallel. any advice or links to threads i missed is much appreciated! thanks guys.
jason02ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2014, 11:08 AM   #2

Default Re: Battery Placement Questions

I've got mine up front. I had it behind the front shock mounts, but my battery was too long and I got some tire rub, thus going to the front. I've been debating on going to the sides, paralleled, just to lower the CoG.
Up front gives me good hill climbing as long as it's not straight up. lol
talkin2rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:11 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Mainly there's three possiblities besides rear.
1. On the sliders, dual sadlepack style. Makes for the lowest COG, but doesn't move it much forward. Good solution if your not doing much inclines.
2. On the frame in front of transmission. Slightly higher COG, moves it a lot forward. Good solution if you prefer to run a big battery.
3. Between the hoops up front. Honcho style. COG up front, sadly also some higher. Will make it more tippy to the sides, but great in steep inclines. Good solution if you prefer to run 1 medium sized battery.

I prefer option 2. Allround easy solution. Just ziptie the plate straight to the frame,

Last edited by Odd-M; 04-17-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Odd-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:48 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs up Re: Battery Placement Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd-M View Post
1. On the sliders, dual sadlepack style. Makes for the lowest COG, but doesn't move it much forward. Good solution if your not doing much inclines.
2. On the frame in front of transmission. Slightly higher COG, moves it a lot forward. Good solution if you prefer to run a big battery.
3. Between the hoops up front. Honcho style. COG up front, sadly also some higher. Will make it more tippy to the sides, but great in steep inclines. Good solution if you prefer to run 1 medium sized battery.

I prefer option 2. Allround easy solution. Just ziptie the plate straight to the frame,
I agree with everything but the zipties. Make some simple brackets.

Last edited by Debonair; 04-17-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Debonair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:45 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I don't intend to hijack, but I was thinking about this same topic. I run the 2S lipo pack. What I've been working on is: mount the battery longitudinally / parallel to the frame but at an angle (vs the stock flat mount); one end would be tipped down toward the motor/tranny; other end would be up between shock mounts/body posts. This seems that it may help get some weight on the front end w/ raising COG too much, and allow full clearance for servo. FWIW I currently have a Jevne plate and like it, just looking to change up as the Jevne does not help at all w/ climbing.
Cr00zah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:24 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd-M View Post

I have mine setup as option 2 but with home made brackets that mount to the original battery tray.
captainmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:52 PM   #7

I have a 3s in the front, and a 2s in the rear.
CamBandit17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:32 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I used the stock battery plate mounted behind the shock hoops, with some homemade L brackets. Battery is a 3s 5000mah. I also Velcro a 3s 1500mah on top of that for my winch.

Airdet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:35 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

On my Dingo I use two stick batteries and mount them on the side rails. I found it helps when you are sideways on a hill or incline. I mounted an Axial battery plate on both sides.
juswin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:12 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

At the moment I run my 6 cell Nimh along the rear frame rails. I have a heavy front bumper, and will soon have a winch on it. Seems to balance out fairly well. I'm going to add axle weights next. thinking 2-3 ounces in the front, and 1-2 in the rear. Bring that Cog down EVEN further. (Then go to Lipos.....)
4x4Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:40 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Run a pair on top of the sliders...best placement imo.

Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:59 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I ended up making my own plate to lower the Center of Gravity more.

Hotrodvw is offline   Reply With Quote

Battery Placement Questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
battery placement cguit Axial SCX-10 14 07-06-2012 08:03 PM
Battery placement ? bluenosegoat Venom Creeper 5 02-21-2011 08:55 AM
battery placement 209jeep Newbie General 5 02-02-2009 05:05 PM
electronics placement questions. obijuan Electronics 4 03-10-2007 07:46 PM
Battery Placement twisted Tamiya TLT Crawlers 6 12-08-2006 10:20 PM