Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Is one SCX10 kit worth buying over the others?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2014, 02:12 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Is one SCX10 kit worth buying over the others?

So my last scale truck was an AX-10 converted to a scaler with the TCS X-trail chassis (pre scx10 days) and a New Bright Jeep body. I sold it off a while ago but now I want to get back into the scale stuff as a family activity (my wife isn't a fan of brushless 1/8 scale truggies like me). I was curious if there is a SCX10 kit that is preferred performance-wise over the others or is it pretty much just pick the body you like since they are basically the same underneath?
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2014, 02:20 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Is one SCX10 kit worth buying over the others?

there pretty much the same chassis, the bodies are, one is jeep that has a solid top that is removable, the Rubicon jeep is 4 door, the G6 jeep is a two door, and then there is the classic Honcho,
kgb424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:17 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

It depends on where you want to go with the build. Here is my analysis of the 3 kits available now:

Dingo kit - cheapest, shortest wheelbase (11.4"), includes 5x 1.9 ripsaws, 3-link suspension by default, arguably the least capable out of the box. Good for TF2 body conversion and other 11.5 inch wheelbase bodies. Also ideal if the plan is to make you own upper links, upgrade everything and sell what you don't use.

Rubicon kit - most expensive, longest wheelbase, removable shell, aluminum shock bodies, 4-link suspension by default, includes 5x 1.9 trepadors, longer wheelbase + 4-link = more climbing ability (given proper battery location). Good for 12.3" wheelbase bodies. Good trail rig and fairly competitive for comps.

Rubicon G6 kit - longish wheelbase (12"), includes 4x 1.9 trepadors (no spare tire), dovetailed body, aluminum shock bodies, includes light rack & buckets, 4-link suspension by default. A good competitive start for a class 2 rig.

Please correct if I included bogus info

Last edited by Crawl Space; 04-26-2014 at 12:22 AM. Reason: fixed wheelbase info
Crawl Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:33 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

2 dr Jeep Rubi and Dingo = 11.4" wheel base

G6 Jeep = 12.0"

4 dr Jeep Unlimited and Honcho = 12.3"

it's the same chassis for all the above scx-10 kits
The wheel base differences are due to link length selections.

I personally prefer the longer 12.3" WB
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:58 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I think the kit versions come with metal lower links also.
MX4141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:28 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoCrawler View Post
2 dr Jeep Rubi and Dingo = 11.4" wheel base

G6 Jeep = 12.0"

4 dr Jeep Unlimited and Honcho = 12.3"

it's the same chassis for all the above scx-10 kits
The wheel base differences are due to link length selections.

I personally prefer the longer 12.3" WB
TacoCrawler is right about the wheelbases - fixed my above post.

I personally run a class 1 bronco I built from the dingo kit using the stock kit lower links. Couldn't be happier with its climbing performance, though I built it purposefully with a super low COG and a light lexan body. Glad I saved money on the cheaper kit since I used a lot of aftermarket parts
Old 04-26-2014, 12:43 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

i have a honco and love the thing to death. imo the only things that need to be changed out are the front bumpers and links along with steering link. with the truck having the frame in the back it makes buying bodies a little bit cheaper too. the stock tires are nice even tho they are a little harder compound but still good. the thing with the scx10 is just buy the one that has the body you like and anything else you can change out.
some87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:43 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I would start out with the one that you like the body of yourself. And get two of that. If you want the best performance than get the honcho or the g6 . My g6 is made with the 12.3 wheelbase from the start. So it performs well out of the box. The wheelbase long doesn't look stupid either. It's not stock. The honcho with the top of the cage cut off the back and no spare works pretty well. If you do the kit go with axial plastic beadlock wheels. The black set of 4 are like 32.00 dollars. DONT glue the tires on the wheels. Move the battery up front and lower it. Use alum. links, or ti. links or make your own. Weight the wheels. Get better steering. Then have massive fun.
im gunna crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:17 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I have owned many different SCX10's,at many different wheelbase setups. Just bought a new G6 kit. I had collected all the hopups for a long wheel base F-250 heavyweight bomb proof build but figured I could put all of it in a G6 and make it indestructible,well almost. The body shape and wheelbase should be just right and if built right would be the best all around performer.
THUNDER PRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:03 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by some87 View Post
i have a honco and love the thing to death. imo the only things that need to be changed out are the front bumpers and links along with steering link. with the truck having the frame in the back it makes buying bodies a little bit cheaper too. the stock tires are nice even tho they are a little harder compound but still good. the thing with the scx10 is just buy the one that has the body you like and anything else you can change out.
The Honcho is pretty good out of the box, but it is not available as a kit at this time. My analysis above was for axial kits only, not RTRs
Old 04-26-2014, 09:26 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

The Honcho...because Toyota..why Toyota.....because its a Toyota. It'll do anything :flipoff2:

Sent from a whiskey downer beer pounder's shop
Undefined is offline   Reply With Quote

Is one SCX10 kit worth buying over the others? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
worth buying it? xadowbg Venom Creeper 15 01-19-2013 08:11 PM
Are these worth buying bowtieuser Electronics 5 02-02-2012 03:34 AM
is this worth buying? team savage Newbie General 30 07-12-2010 06:47 AM
Worth buying new? Neeley Traxxas Crawlers 7 02-07-2009 04:02 PM