Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Axial SCX10 Dingo Kit Newb build.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #1

Talking Axial SCX10 Dingo Kit Newb build.

Hey everyone,

I recently joined this forum and needed to submit my Dingo. Let me know what you guys think. I got alot of inspiration from all of the members of this site so I dont remember who I got some of the following mods and ideas from but thank you all.

The following are the specs of the rig.
Axial SCX10 Dingo Kit
Castle Creations SCT Sidewinder ESC
27t brushed Axial motor
2s 5000mah GensAce Lipo
Airtronics FHSS-3 RX/TX
Hitec HS-625MG Super Torque Servo
4 Link all the way around this rig
Removed bump stops from stock shocks

Now for the pictures.

This is the rig, I painted the outside with Plasti Dip Blaze Blue 11oz aerosol can. I got the paint at a local auto parts dealer. At first i painted the body with just the Plasti Dip and i went ahead and took it on a mock up run and the first scratches started chipping the paint. I went back to the auto parts store and the guy at the counter recomended Bull Dog Adhesion promoter. Works like a primer so I went ahead and sprayed that first then the Plasti Dip and the end result is what you see.
 photo 001_zpsea39da58.jpg

photo 002_zps2c5324b8.jpg

photo 007_zpse1f786d9.jpg

Next up is the 4 link setup all the way around the rig. Obviously came with the upgraded lower links and steering links as well. The only thing that is moded on this part is the upper links, once again I got the idea from this site and I do not remember who (my apologies) to give the credit to but you know who you are.
 photo 003_zpse56b57fa.jpg

I used 8-32 all thread and 1/4" brake line for the links and Traxxas rod ends.
 photo 014_zpsb87a32b7.jpg
Front 4 link setup. (Notice bump stops removed from shocks)
 photo 014_zpsb87a32b7.jpg
Rear 4 link setup. (Notice bump stops removed from shocks)
 photo 013_zps44d77af5.jpg

Next is the battery and electronics location.
 photo 015_zpsd75808a3.jpg

With the upper 4 link mod the servo would hit the cross brace for the battery tray so i went ahead and placed the battery up against the front shock tower mounts. I attached them with velcro on each end and one in the middle for extra measure.
 photo 006_zps1966940c.jpg
 photo 008_zps7a1dcb8e.jpg
This next picture shows how i mounted the electronics in the rear. I used the battery tray and mounted it in the rear and secure the RX box with velcro and double sided taped the Castle SCT SW ESC to the tray. (Those chrome lugs on the side of the chassis are for looks I have one on each side of the frame, with the body on they look like exhaust tips. I will throw in a picture later for you to see how they look).
 photo 009_zpsd7ed4028.jpg
 photo 012_zps7ba3bd88.jpg

Next is the servo mounting (which is nothing new to anyone here).
 photo 016_zps7e6d9be7.jpg

And finally I will show you those lugs that i had attached to both sides of the chassis to double as exhaust tips. (These are attached by zip ties)
 photo 010_zps64ea981d.jpg
Here is the rear view from underneath with the body off to show the lugs.
 photo 011_zps11a394e2.jpg
And the end result. These are still tucked underneath the body so there wont be a possibility to get them hung up on anything.
 photo 004_zps07fcb351.jpg

So there it is my build of the Dingo Kit. I still need to throw in some LED's and I will also be shortening the front bumper (only progress pics) and also raising it. Let me know what you guys think of the build I welcome any questions or suggestions and comments
syko_less is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Axial SCX10 Dingo Kit Newb build.

nice job dude!
Demodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:09 PM   #3

Thanks.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

How does it handle with your placement of components. I built mine with more weight up front so curious how it handles in the air and in turns. Nice job.
therealrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealrsr View Post
How does it handle with your placement of components. I built mine with more weight up front so curious how it handles in the air and in turns. Nice job.
well therealrsr you definitely need the extra weight up front. i took out the rig on a test run after moving the battery and electronics and i was not able to climb 45* inclines the rig would just flip back. i will definitely need to add some weight to the front. In what way did you add weight to the front of your rig?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fox2go View Post
Cool idea with the lugs for exhaust
Thanks 1fox2go i had them around the work area and decided to throw them on and they fit the rig.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #6

Update to the Dingo Kit.

yesterday i went to my LHS and picked up some Axial 1.9 beadlocks wheels and RC4WD Mudslingers to accompany the wheels. i have to admit those tires are way smaller then the stock 1.9 Ripsaws that come on the kit i was surprised at the difference although the RC4WD tires are advertised as 1.9's. Regardless i went ahead and threw them the beadlocks and installed them on the Dingo. also i went to my parents house and came across some parts from my HPI Sprint 2 Drift that i had stashed there. the only item i grabbed were some replica disk brakes minus the calipers. i had bought these a while back on an overseas RC Drift website that offers all things RC Drift, the name of the website is Genki Dori Dori. so i decided to throw them on the Dingo to see how they would look and they fit perfectly. also while at my parents i went through some of my old boxes of junk that i still have there and i found my old friend and now driver of the Dingo, Jammet The Rat. he was a character in an early 90's cartoon show called Capitol Critters. as soon as i seen him i knew i wanted to make him my driver of my rig.

enough chit chat following are the pics of the beadlock wheels with tires and Jammet the driver. enjoy.

i have no idea what gang sign or arthritis Jammet has going on but his hands were busy. the "Thug Life" tattoo he has on his belly was written on his belly by me early on when i had bought him.
 photo 003_zpsda2e92bb.jpg

here is some more pics of Jammet and the Dingo. What do you guys think of the ride heigh? i think i may need to lower it or change the body. the tires gave it a whole new look. what body would you guys recommend?
 photo 005_zps82c362e5.jpg
 photo 006_zps84e74b98.jpg

and for the final pics, here are the mudslingers with the axial beadlock wheels. you can see the disk brakes on the pics. let me know what you guys think.
 photo 001_zpsc992b323.jpg
 photo 002_zpse2377808.jpg

i hope you enjoyed. im going to have fun with the driver and his new ride.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #7

well its been a while since i have posted any progress on my SCX10 Dingo build, i really have just been having fun with the rig and going trailing. i made a few mods that i have since removed to make room for my addition of the Wraith Interior (part# AXI0402 and Corbeau LG1 seats (part# AX80080). now lets move on to the pictures of some of the mods.

I previously had the battery strapped with velcro to the front shock towers mounted vertically and that gave me a high center of gravity, so i went ahead and made an aluminum tray to bolt on to the chassis to place the battery flat behind the front tires and in front of the motor and transmission. I also went ahead and did the same for the electronics, they were previously positioned on the back of the rig and i just moved them to the side of the transmission above the rock sliders.
 photo 025_zpsc516d43f.jpg

a picture from the bottom. you can see the esc and RX box mounted by the rock sliders.
 photo 026_zpsd8582d25.jpg

and a view from the top of how everything sits.
 photo 024_zpsd62b6bc2.jpg

like i said in the first paragraph all of these aluminum trays have been removed to make room for the Axial Wraith Interior. I will post some more pictures of the new position of the electronics and battery and also of the interior and the new team driver. oh also i mirrored the transmission on the rig and i will post pictures of that as well.

i hope you like let me know what you guys think.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #8

ok here is the second set of pictures with the electronics re-positioned and transmission mirrored.

here you can see the electronics up front on the rig. i placed them on top a sheet of aluminum. you can also see the transmission has been mirrored and another piece of aluminum i used to guard the spur gear from the body that was rubbing on it. i hope that piece also guards from debris coming in contact with the spur gear.
 photo 033_zpsf024439e.jpg

here you can see how i mounted the aluminum piece to secure the esc and RX box. I used 3mm x 30mm button head hex screws with some nuts as spacers. i needed the spacers because servo that is mounted on the front axle would hit the aluminum piece so i needed some room in order for the front to fully compress.
 photo 032_zps8c6cd178.jpg

next picture is the detail of the aluminum cover for the spur gear. i used pre-existing holes of the chassis to mount the aluminum piece.
 photo 035_zps27253182.jpg

so this is a shot of the Wraith interior and corbeau lg1 seats that i installed on the dingo and this is my team driver "Heavy". He is a character from an online PC game called TeamFortress2.
 photo 037_zpseeb794a2.jpg
 photo 029_zps668ed2de.jpg

next is a couple of shots of how i mounted the Wraith interior to the Dingo. just used standard sized screws and used a nut on the bottom side.
 photo 038_zpsda9a1689.jpg
 photo 039_zps8c567c07.jpg

Finally just a shot of the truck as it stands and a shot of my "Truck Nutz." i got the idea from a 1:1 truck that was rolling around town with these giant hex nuts and thought i would do the same to my truck.
 photo 027_zps36208112.jpg
 photo 040_zps4cf72ea9.jpg

i hope you enjoyed comments welcomed.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #9

hello once again,

this is an update to my thread. so far i have had this rig in my possession for 7 months and boy let me tell you it is so much fun to drive around. the only major upgrade i have to note is the new body and the Poison Spyder rear bumper. the body is the Pro-Line 1973 Ford Bronco, i painted the outside of the body get the matte black finish on the roof and fender flares. i kept my roll cage from the Dingo kit and had to make some minor adjustments so it could fit inside the Bronco body. so far that is all i have done to the SCX-10. i recently took it out for some wheeling/trailing fun, unfortunately my phone was low on charge and i could not take video of it in motion, i did have enough battery to take pictures though. enjoy.

the first couple of pictures are of the Bronco posing for some body shots.
 photo IMAG0816_zps925c23cc.jpg
 photo IMAG0819_zps706286d0.jpg
 photo IMAG0822_zps17d8e5ed.jpg
 photo IMAG0821_zps3e68feaa.jpg

and the following will be of some flex shots. i am running Team Integy 100mm shocks. i must be one of the lucky ones because i have not had trouble with their shocks, either that or i have not beat up on the truck. regardless here are the pics.
 photo IMAG0834_zpsc027f8ed.jpg
 photo IMAG0824_zps6fa7aa9f.jpg
 photo IMAG0825_zps67355ac8.jpg
 photo IMAG0831_zpsb6a33427.jpg
 photo IMAG0827_zps9cd33bb4.jpg

this third set is at a different location flexing on some roots.
 photo IMAG0835_zps0ff75e3f.jpg
 photo IMAG0840_zpsfef132d4.jpg
 photo IMAG0844_zps91b7ffc3.jpg
 photo IMAG0845_zpsfa703f53.jpg
 photo IMAG0841_zps83d60d36.jpg
 photo IMAG0836_zpsa81ebda1.jpg

hope you enjoyed and dont forget to comment and ask if you have questions about the rig.

Tags
4 link, axial, axial scx-10, dingo, kit

Axial SCX10 Dingo Kit Newb build. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial SCX10 Dingo Build DrMend Axial SCX-10 21 05-14-2013 11:34 PM
Advice on Axial SCX10 4WD Kit w/Dingo Body xwingman Newbie General 10 03-26-2013 07:32 PM
axial SCX10 dingo kit RCGecko General Scale Talk 5 05-23-2012 01:15 PM
Newb w/ an SCX10 TR Dingo - questions... cadillac Axial SCX-10 4 02-19-2011 01:34 AM