Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Long Live the SCX10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2014, 10:17 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Long Live the SCX10

Caution: CSB & Fanboy Alert Ahead

With all the talk about Axial's upcoming new kit , and everyone complaining about the seemingly endless Jeep bodied SCX10 releases, I would just like to say that after several new product releases--XR10, Wraith, Ridgecrest/Deadbolt, EXO--the SCX10 has remained as great a vehicle and has outlasted a few of Axial's kits as well.

I'm now on my 5th SCX10, and I know that more than a few of you own at least twice that many SCX10 based rigs. The rundown of the SCX10 rigs I've owned are as follows:

1. SCX10 RTR Dingo--just upgraded the steering linkage to aluminum
2. SCX10 w/Proline 2DR JK Jeep--started life as two leftover AX10 axles, added the SCX10 frame, links to make the 11.4" wheelbase, and alloy steering links, Vanquish Dig
3. SCX10 w/Proline 4DR JK Jeep--started as a pile of leftover AX and SCX parts, links to make the 12.3" wheelbase, added PowerStroke shocks, alloy links throughout, O.D./U.D. gearing
4. SCX10 Honcho RTR--bone stock
5. SCX10 Jeep 4DR JK Rubicon RTR--bone stock

Now I know I'm not the only one to say this, but even though the kits are essentially very similar, there is such a difference between how even the RTR kits drive out of the box.

Between my RTR Dingo and RTR Rubicon, you wouldn't even think that the two are based off the same platform. Much better electronics are a given, but the shocks are tuned way better out of the box (and they don't leak as much as they used to), the tires are way, way better (even if I know I basically throw them away with the wheels as they are glue-on), and more importantly, I didn't break my C-Hubs and Knuckles after 5 minutes of tooling around a grassy park.

I'll just do the usual links and steering mods and call it a day on this one as well. It's one of the rigs that I just don't feel I need to molest to make it fun to drive. I've seen some of what people post here and you can do a lot to make this rig worse than how it came out of the box.

With that said, if there are any new RC crawlers trying to break into this segment, I whole-heartedly endorse the SCX10. Just get one, you'll need one regardless of whatever kit Axial releases. It's one of the few non-micro/mini vehicles that you can totally entertain yourself with in a space as small as 10' x 10'. After owning one, I guarantee you garage will probably not look the same, your backyard will get landscaped based on "scale" appearance and approachability, and you'll always have it in the car as you can drive it anywhere.

Ok, my 10 minute break is up, so I'm back to work, and I hope you all get another SCX10.
K.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2014, 11:47 AM   #2
Kez

Default Re: Long Live the SCX10

Forgot I wasn't on Facebook for a second, and wanted to push the "LIKE" button.

Cool post. Wholeheartedly agree, though I'm still on my first (SCX10 Rubicon Kit with upgrades).
Kez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:55 PM   #3

I am on my second one...and I havent even driven the first one for more than 5 minutes. I'm new to the crawler world and tried the wraith/losi nc, but scx10 all the way! I just got a dingo and I have a scx10 based rig. SCX104LYFE. lol Good post!
ketchup4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:01 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I drove mine for about a total of 40 minutes and already want another for the kids.
Was thinking of tinkering with the suspension but after a long thread I think I will try stock and just have fun.
javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

!!LONG LIVE THE SCX10!!

HA HA HA!

Old 05-02-2014, 11:20 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Nice to see something new that isn't a jeep, they must be listening
dc6287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:04 PM   #7

got an idea if the driver is a separate that can be purchased?
kpsxtyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:10 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by javi View Post
I drove mine for about a total of 40 minutes and already want another for the kids.
Was thinking of tinkering with the suspension but after a long thread I think I will try stock and just have fun.
Javi there just differences between some on what works better or just indifferences in general on many subjects for that matter..In the end what you chose is what you end up liking the best...Don't be afraid to experiment.

Thiers very simple changes you can make to make it better without it being complicated.

Stock can be a lot of fun..i still have one SCX10 that's back to being basicly stock..Just some home made lower links and steering links and re located the battery...Otherwise a very fun toy.

You'll get ready in time for some changes.

The best simple cheap mod you can make for now would be changing your pinion gear from the stock 20 tooth to a 16 tooth.
It will lower your stock motors temperatures and make it more capable at lower speeds.

Remember to keep your motor clean and the bushings oiled

Next if you want your servo to last.. you need to replace the plastic bushing with bearings.

Then tackle your suspension links with at minimum some better lower links and upgrade steering links.

Just those changes alone are a great improvement in reliability and performance.

Servo bearings about 10 dollars.
Pinion gear change maybe 6 or 7 dollars
Some good used lower links and steering links..maybe 40 dollars.

Welcome to the site and hope to see a hop up thread from you at some time.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 05-02-2014 at 01:13 PM.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:15 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I want a ford based SCX10 from axial.. brushless and price under $400
Old 05-02-2014, 02:25 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
Javi there just differences between some on what works better or just indifferences in general on many subjects for that matter..In the end what you chose is what you end up liking the best...Don't be afraid to experiment.

Thiers very simple changes you can make to make it better without it being complicated.

Stock can be a lot of fun..i still have one SCX10 that's back to being basicly stock..Just some home made lower links and steering links and re located the battery...Otherwise a very fun toy.

You'll get ready in time for some changes.

The best simple cheap mod you can make for now would be changing your pinion gear from the stock 20 tooth to a 16 tooth.
It will lower your stock motors temperatures and make it more capable at lower speeds.

Remember to keep your motor clean and the bushings oiled

Next if you want your servo to last.. you need to replace the plastic bushing with bearings.

Then tackle your suspension links with at minimum some better lower links and upgrade steering links.

Just those changes alone are a great improvement in reliability and performance.

Servo bearings about 10 dollars.
Pinion gear change maybe 6 or 7 dollars
Some good used lower links and steering links..maybe 40 dollars.

Welcome to the site and hope to see a hop up thread from you at some time.
Should add "Thread Jacker" to your sig. Just sayin!

Love the scx10, Its all been said in the first post pretty much! I definitely love mine!
Dad,Canyoufix? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:56 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I don't mind the thread jack. I sort of made a mess of sharky's thread about shock angle on the newbie forum by injecting some math and physics into the discussion.

So which one of you guys already have this pre-ordered? I unfortunately just bought that goofy Tamiya 4WD Mini/Wheelie Landcruiser thing called the GF01, so I'll have to wait about a month or so.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:05 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Im an axial fan but I don't see this model in my future to be honest with you...The body is nice as its not another jeep but the electrics don't impress me..Something brushless would be nice as an RTR.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:36 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Bah. If it ain't a kit, I don't care. I hardly ever find time to drive 'em, but I can build 'em even if it's dark out.
pottymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:34 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Uh, long live the SCX10?!

Axial Racing - SCX10

Old 05-30-2014, 03:49 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpsxtyone View Post
got an idea if the driver is a separate that can be purchased?
If it is not, you can also use the Tamiya Blitzer Beetle driver. I have used two of them in my G6s. They are molded from the arm pits up, they are the perfect size.
Tremelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Long Live the SCX10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Neverwet live demo on SCX10 AE2,BEC AND RX Demodude Electronics 8 08-25-2013 10:07 AM
Not for long STOCK SCX10 TR eddievedder Axial SCX-10 39 07-09-2010 12:46 AM
long live... dieselfuel Chit Chat 18 08-13-2009 04:21 PM