Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX10/GMADE R1 Axle'd Gets a Face Lift

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2014, 07:57 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default SCX10/GMADE R1 Axle'd Gets a Face Lift

Since assembling the SCX10/GMADE combo, I have been busy with a couple other projects. Still have some suspension geometry issues to work out, but with the 2spd and Castle SCT combo, it is a lot of fun. As to the face lift, got a little tired of the Bronco body and just had to have the Jeep Rubicon. I didn't want the obligatory black quarter panel decals so I thought I would try metal. Also wanted a lighting system that could loosely pass for "scale". I added two bezel's to each of the factory tail light assembly's, haven't fired them up yet, just wanted to post progress. Yeah, the gaping hole in the interior will be covered with a fab'd metal cover, wish there was another way to lower the trans, used to be a kit available but haven't found any active links to the vendor anymore.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Test fit body...
[IMG][/IMG]
Have a tan top coming for it....
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
joe122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2014, 07:54 AM   #2

Default Re: SCX10/GMADE R1 Axle'd Gets a Face Lift

Very nice Rubicon. How this combination of R1 and Axial works? I really up to it and want to try.
Is there any improvement of low speed control?
ugavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:41 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugavish View Post
Very nice Rubicon. How this combination of R1 and Axial works? I really up to it and want to try.
Is there any improvement of low speed control?
The R1 axles work well with the SCX10. I did a build with them on my SCX10 JK. K7ZPJ's Green Rubi with Portal Axles

You do have to use a CMS setup with the axle. I had a few issues with that but they were solved using the RC4WD CMS kit.

The R1 axles are geared higher (2.14) than the SCX10 axles (2.92) so there isn't any improvement in low speed control.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:07 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I wanted the benefit of the additional ground clearance, and to build something a little different. There is an additional .500" of clearance between the differential and ground than my Wraith has. The performance is most likely very similar to the SCX10 axle'd versions, but there hasn't been anything that is won't crawl over so far. The 2spd Summit trans is most likely the biggest contributor to the crawlability of the setup as low gear is awesome. Wheel speed in high is awesome....almost to much, and I am using 2s lipo - truck will never see 3s.

Some updated photos after getting a little further with the body assembly. Wired and tested the lights, have another light bar going on the front bumper once it arrives. The light bars are my design, maybe slightly large, but look good close up. The "motor cover" seems to do the trick as well.

Waiting for a set of 1.9 wheels and tires as I feel it may give it a more truer scale appearance.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Wraith, Wrexo, SCX10, Xray T2, Sakura Zero S, Vaterra Kemora "on road"
Old 05-07-2014, 07:45 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quick update, found time to wire up the lights, light bar(s) to one switch and head and tail lights to another. Placed switches on top of dash. Added the rear bumper / tire carrier. Tested a set of 1.9 Trepador's, too small! 2.2 Sedona's were a bit to large, kinda lost the scale look I was looking for. So I am going to try a set of Interco TSL SX - XL Super Swampers, from what I've read these should provide a happy medium between standard 1.9 and 2.2. I have one more light bar to add to the front bumper when it arrives, soon to head out for some thrashing...oh added a couple obligatory flex shots.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-08-2014, 11:01 AM   #6
JLF
Quarry Creeper

Killer project!
JLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:21 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Thanks, here it is after some fine tuning and a tire and wheel update. Had to change the rear lower stock arms due to bending under acceleration. Super Swampers are awesome. Lowered - now handles much better.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-09-2014, 09:06 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Very nice.

What are you using to get the radius in the corner guards? I'm thinking just hand/finger bend them around a 1/2" drill bit or...?
Dirt51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:00 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Thanks. I rolled them around a Pactra spray can until they were close, then screwed them in place.

SCX10/GMADE R1 Axle'd Gets a Face Lift - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My old D90 gets a face-lift oldrtybstrd 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 12-30-2013 01:00 PM
Muddywaters getting a Face lift. muddywaters Axial Wraith 5 02-29-2012 08:36 PM
A little face lift to my Budget build Oso787 EnRoute Berg 5 11-01-2010 07:40 PM
El Capitan gets a face lift for Moab Ace General Crawlers 83 02-21-2007 06:48 AM
UTRCRC.COM face lift utbeamer General Crawlers 4 04-03-2005 11:09 PM