Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Differences between CR Rubicon and New Deadbolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2014, 11:09 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Differences between CR Rubicon and New Deadbolt

Ok, I am new to RCs and still don't even have one. For my son we have the new AX90035 rubicon on order. However, I see Axial has a new Deadbolt AX90044. It is less money and of course the first thing that comes to mind is why is it less money.

Can someone explain the technical differences between the Newest Rubicon and the Newest deadbolt. Besides money, and running them completely stock, why would you want one over the other.

I know this is an insane noobie question, but I will appreciate all the help.

Thank you,
Beowulf
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2014, 05:50 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Differences between CR Rubicon and New Deadbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
Ok, I am new to RCs and still don't even have one. For my son we have the new AX90035 rubicon on order. However, I see Axial has a new Deadbolt AX90044. It is less money and of course the first thing that comes to mind is why is it less money.

Can someone explain the technical differences between the Newest Rubicon and the Newest deadbolt. Besides money, and running them completely stock, why would you want one over the other.

I know this is an insane noobie question, but I will appreciate all the help.

Thank you,
Beowulf
The new SCX10 actually has several improvements on the old design. It's cheaper not because it is lower quality, but because it doesn't have all that fancy name branded stuff on it like the jeeps do, and it doesn't have an LED light kit like the Honcho

The new Deadbolt SCX10 has a waterproofed ESC, a stronger servo that has bearings instead of bushings (lasts much longer), improved drive shafts (several changes for more durability)

Unless you are really into having real full size vehicle name brand licensed stuff on your rig I would suggest switching to the SCX10 Deadbolt.

The only thing that might not be as good is the new ESC doesn't say whether or not they had Castle Creations (a really good brand) make it for them or if someone else made it. It's a new ESC so we don't know much about it's quality, but I would expect it to be good.

Edit: I read this thread: AE-5 esc? and it sounds like the new ESC might be cheaper quality than the older AE-2 ESC's. That is the only negative I can find between this and the older SCX10's.

Update: I read up on the ESC it looks like, and it looks like one made by Hobbywing which is a good ESC maker I read. The people who say the ESC this looks like sucks and that hobbywing sucks are people who bought asian Knockoff ESC's of the good Hobbywing one off of Ebay.

Last edited by theTman; 05-04-2014 at 08:31 PM.
theTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:22 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

The basics the jeep has light bar on the roof and 2 lights where the outside mirrors are. It has no red tail lights . You can buy a pair of two lights for the rears to hook up for cheap. The harness to plug the tail lights is included with the white rtr. It's under the drivers seat and the harness unplugs when you take the body off. The white jeep has no roof. The white jeep has the new tactic metal gear servo ( it seems decent). It comes with the green 27 turn. O.k. till it goes bad then go with a holmes hobbies motor. They make motors for all budgets. The speed control is the as2 a good adjustable speed control , but only 2cell lipo.
The tires are bfg replica krawlers they seem sticky( I have not tested them yet!)
They are 1.9s.plastic links.
The silver jeep has no lights trepador tires1.9s. The same speed control and motor. The servo on the present silver jeep is the old as3 servo metal gear but needs a 10.00 bearing upgrade to last. If you run it without doing the bearing upgrade it's days are numbered. Drive shaft is the same as the old scx10 with the thru pin design. I expect the driveshaft design to change to the new deadbolt design. The jeeps both have poison spider rear bumpers.
The jeeps are to heavy and want to roll over and flip over backwards stock. Ditch the spare tire. They look cool.
The new deadbolt scx 10 has the long wheel base as the jeeps. It also has the trepador1.9 tires . It has the new tactic servo. It has the new speed control( too new to know any thing about). It has the green 27 turn motor. The deadbolt has a new slipper clutch. If it doesn't work correctly you could possibly switch parts in the transmission to go back to the old slipper clutch.it comes with a new design driveshaft(a good thing, not that the newer previous design was that bad except for all but hardcore useage). No rear bumper. It uses the same front bumper as the jeeps.
The radios are the same with the rtr models. Not bad for cheap rtr radios.
Hope this clears some things up for you. I would choose the rtr deadbolt. Because you can upgrade parts easily. Stock these trucks are very durable . But check to make sure parts are tight out of the box.
im gunna crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:41 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by im gunna crawl View Post
The basics the jeep has light bar on the roof and 2 lights where the outside mirrors are. It has no red tail lights . You can buy a pair of two lights for the rears to hook up for cheap. The harness to plug the tail lights is included with the white rtr. It's under the drivers seat and the harness unplugs when you take the body off. The white jeep has no roof. The white jeep has the new tactic metal gear servo ( it seems decent). It comes with the green 27 turn. O.k. till it goes bad then go with a holmes hobbies motor. They make motors for all budgets. The speed control is the as2 a good adjustable speed control , but only 2cell lipo.
The tires are bfg replica krawlers they seem sticky( I have not tested them yet!)
They are 1.9s.plastic links.
The silver jeep has no lights trepador tires1.9s. The same speed control and motor. The servo on the present silver jeep is the old as3 servo metal gear but needs a 10.00 bearing upgrade to last. If you run it without doing the bearing upgrade it's days are numbered. Drive shaft is the same as the old scx10 with the thru pin design. I expect the driveshaft design to change to the new deadbolt design. The jeeps both have poison spider rear bumpers.
The jeeps are to heavy and want to roll over and flip over backwards stock. Ditch the spare tire. They look cool.
The new deadbolt scx 10 has the long wheel base as the jeeps. It also has the trepador1.9 tires . It has the new tactic servo. It has the new speed control( too new to know any thing about). It has the green 27 turn motor. The deadbolt has a new slipper clutch. If it doesn't work correctly you could possibly switch parts in the transmission to go back to the old slipper clutch.it comes with a new design driveshaft(a good thing, not that the newer previous design was that bad except for all but hardcore useage). No rear bumper. It uses the same front bumper as the jeeps.
The radios are the same with the rtr models. Not bad for cheap rtr radios.
Hope this clears some things up for you. I would choose the rtr deadbolt. Because you can upgrade parts easily. Stock these trucks are very durable . But check to make sure parts are tight out of the box.
SCX10 has the same wheelbase as the Jeep G6 which is around 12"! The jeep and CR Jeep is 12.3"!

The deadbolt comes with a 4 link rear and 3 link front. The front can easily be upgraded using the spare parts that are included in the spare parts bag!
mr lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:04 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr lee View Post
SCX10 has the same wheelbase as the Jeep G6 which is around 12"! The jeep and CR Jeep is 12.3"!

The deadbolt comes with a 4 link rear and 3 link front. The front can easily be upgraded using the spare parts that are included in the spare parts bag!
This doesn't have the G6 12 inch wheelbase. According to Axial's site it has the 12.3 wheelbase shared with the Honcho and jeep wrangler unlimited variants.

Also, I was reading some more posts in the thread about the ESC in this thing and there were positive comments on the esc this one is made from. I would disregard the negative ones as they are biased and not basing their views on actual facts. Yes, a Chinese company probably makes the new ESC, but their ESC's are pretty good from what I hear and I have heard several people say that they have had Castle Creations products fail much more often (and they are much costlier to replace). One person also noted that the racers they sponsor and have run their ESC's in their race vehicles do fairly good. I think this ESC will be great.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:42 PM   #6
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theTman View Post
This doesn't have the G6 12 inch wheelbase. According to Axial's site it has the 12.3 wheelbase shared with the Honcho and jeep wrangler unlimited variants.
Website had the wrong info, its being updated now. AX90044 Deadbolt has a 12" Wheelbase
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Okay, well I'm actually happy it has the 12 inch wheelbase. I've seen reviews that said the G6 kit benefits from the slightly shorter wheelbase as it doesn't hurt climbing ability significantly as far as reach goes, but it helps it not get high centered on the breakover nearly as much as the 12.3 inchers.

This also means that if I really wanted a G6 jeep body I can just buy the body, keep the stock roll cage as they are the same, and not have to get a shorter link set, though the body is still 50 freakin' dollars.

Also, do you know anything about the new ESC you can tell us Brandon? It's been catching a lot of undeserved flak from what I've seen.

Last edited by theTman; 05-05-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:50 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theTman View Post
Okay, well I'm actually happy it has the 12 inch wheelbase. I've seen reviews that said the G6 kit benefits from the slightly shorter wheelbase as it doesn't hurt climbing ability significantly as far as reach goes, but it helps it not get high centered on the breakover nearly as much as the 12.3 inchers.

This also means that if I really wanted a G6 jeep body I can just buy the body, keep the stock roll cage as they are the same, and not have to get a shorter link set, though the body is still 50 freakin' dollars.

Also, do you know anything about the new ESC you can tell us Brandon? It's been catching a lot of undeserved flak from what I've seen.
I wouldn't worry about the ESC. With the lower price of the Deadbolt, you aren't out a whole lot if you decide you hate the ESC and replace it with a BRXL or SV3
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote

Differences between CR Rubicon and New Deadbolt - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Locker differences BrandonLowe83 Axial Wraith 25 08-29-2013 07:26 AM
Differences? fivepointnine98 RC4WD Bully 11 03-04-2012 08:50 PM
Battery Differences ZeeCrawler Electronics 4 11-21-2011 03:50 PM
1.9 to 2.2 differences? M109R General Scale Talk 8 09-15-2010 03:40 AM
What are the differences between the 3? Sydwaiz Axial SCX-10 7 01-06-2010 04:34 PM