Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: newbie with a few upgrade questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2014, 07:09 PM   #1

Default newbie with a few upgrade questions

Bought a new Honcho last September for my son and after some time for him to get used to it he is ready to make some changes. I know very little about the hobby all together. Please excuse my ignorance if I ask a dumb question. We want to upgrade the truck, but for now want to keep the drivetrain stock. Here is what I have in mind. Like to hear your thoughts or advice on the following.
1. new foam for the tires and some beadlock 1.9 wheels. The foams I think are wearing out. Front tires look half flat just sitting still. Keeping the Ripsaw tires for now.
2. Aluminum 4 link bar kit and converting the front to 4 link. The wishbone on the front keeps popping out on my son. Where do I find the extra screws for installing the 4 link bracket on the front differential? I have read that the servo may need to be moved also.
3. Why does the front end look to have some negative camber going on. Don't remember it being like this when new. Its not bad, just doesn't look right. There is some play in the components but nothing I can point to to say it is bad.

Like I said, we want to keep the drivetrain stock for now. He mostly plays with the truck and just wants to change up the look. He has done very well with the truck. Since we bought it he as run it a lot and hasn't broken anything on it.
Thanks.

Last edited by lenox273; 05-09-2014 at 07:20 PM. Reason: spelling
lenox273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2014, 09:21 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: newbie with a few upgrade questions

Im using the Axial 8 hole beadlocks (1.9) and they are holding up great.

For what it seems your using it for (fun with the family) just get another set of stock foams...The best foams are from Crawler Innovations but not sure what your budget is for upgrades...The stock ripsaw tires are pretty good.

Links would be a great upgrade...look for a good deal on some used axial links.

Making links are an option as well..8-32 stainless all thread/ traxxas Revo ends and steel brake line from the auto parts store.

To convert to a 4 link up front you only need the same truss as like what comes on the rear and some hardware and stock upper links for the honcho.

Is the play in the wheel itself or the knuckle and c hubs?..make sure all your screws are tight.

If you want to keep the stock 3 link just put a washer behind the screw that keeps popping out..its a common problem but so is a lot of play on the pivot ball as well on time.

If you want some great first time upgrades that make a difference heres a short list for you

1.) 16T motor pinion gear (will improve low speed control but will lose a little speed....Also will lower motor temps for longer life)
2.) metal lower links at minimum and metal steering links
3.) bearing upgrade for the stock servo or a better servo.

Welcome to RCC

Last edited by 6sharky9; 05-09-2014 at 09:45 PM.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:48 AM   #3
RCC Addict

There's plenty of companies that make links for the scx10. A quick search will come up with quite a bit. Even if you just searched ebay with "scx10 links" you'll get hundreds. Just make sure to get links for a honcho. Some of the other scx10 have smaller wheelbases.And for the wheels...The skies the limit. Pretty much find a set you like get your tires off your wheels and remount them.Now to get your tires off will take some work.There's boiling, heat gun, baking involved.you might want to think about some new tires with the new wheels.I hope this helps....
T I N Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:56 AM   #4

Thanks. After reading natedogs honcho build thread I decided that foams would be a good idea. Plan on calling Crawler Innovations for them. I found a seller on eBay that has all the suspension links for front and rear which includes 4 for the front. I have the truss for the front diff from the extra parts that came with the truck. Just need to figure out where to get screws. May look into the gear thing too. Thanks for the input.
Lee
lenox273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The screws are just either socket head or button head M3 - .05 screws which you can get cheap at home depot or pay a bit more and get at a hobby shop or ebay. Fast Eddies is also a good place to get them from. You just need to know what length you need.
rcwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

newbie with a few upgrade questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie question. 10t to 8t pinion upgrade. srkhahou Redcat Crawlers 2 03-10-2011 07:48 AM
upgrade questions telecastermaster Newbie General 0 04-05-2010 10:12 AM
Newbie servo upgrade question cableguy Newbie General 7 07-12-2009 02:10 PM
Upgrade Questions person123 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 13 03-27-2008 07:03 PM
upgrade questions person123 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 02-19-2008 08:34 PM