Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: ICON Shock builders question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2014, 01:35 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default ICON Shock builders question

Hello. Fairly new to the scx10 forum. Just picked up a G6 kit. Had a couple questions on the ICON shocks.

1. Was building the shocks tonight and the instructions calls for them to be 72.5mm tip to tip when built. But I built mine and they are about 97.3mm from tip to tip. (See pics below).

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? It appears I have tighten the lower eyelet all the way up the threads of the shock shaft. Don't see how I can tighten it down roughly another 25mm.

2. Building the shocks to the instructions, I noticed all the shocks have some rebound (without the springs installed). There is obviously some internal pressure in the shocks. Once you compress the shaft without the springs each shaft will slowly rebound about halfway out then stop. Is this normal? And something you want? Or should I rebuild again to try and have as little rebound as possible?

Any help and advice on the two questions about would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by Sactown_Summit; 05-15-2014 at 02:07 AM.
Sactown_Summit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2014, 08:49 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: ICON Shock builders question

The instructions are wrong. Just make sure you have all of them the same lenght.

Some rebound is good. The exact amount is going to be personal preference. I try to get between 1/4 inch to 3/8 inch rebound. Make sure to get the rebound the same on all of them to start.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the confirmation. I figured it has to be wrong but nice to know I'm not going crazy.

I might have a little too much rebound. I will try and tone it down tonight when I get home.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:41 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

You might have them overfilled. If there is to much rebound they will not work to their full potential (not enough flex). Try to bleed one out with less fluid in it so it doesn't rebound so much by itself. I try for little if any rebound. Do try to get them all the same. You are also going to want to test different weight oils and spring weights. I like lighter oil than the stock 30 weight and lighter spring weights. Front and rear. With the front oil lighter still.
im gunna crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:43 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Default ICON Shock builders question

How much is too much rebound? I just measured and I have just under a half inch of rebound. Too much?
Old 05-17-2014, 03:48 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Half an inch is a bit much. Like K7zpj said, aim for about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch maximum. Ideally, you don't want any rebound, but that also could mean you built your shocks incorrectly, so a little bit tells you that they are working properly. However, the most important thing is that you have pairs if not all four shocks matching in rebound.
micro racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro racer View Post
Half an inch is a bit much. Like K7zpj said, aim for about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch maximum. Ideally, you don't want any rebound, but that also could mean you built your shocks incorrectly, so a little bit tells you that they are working properly. However, the most important thing is that you have pairs if not all four shocks matching in rebound.

Thanks for the info. Just finished building them all again and now they all have about 5mm in rebound only. Much different feel.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:55 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

The instructions are not wrong. They say 72.5 because if you build them with shock completely extended and seal it up, now when you compress the shock you are significantly increasing the volume inside with the shaft and could pop the cap. If you cap and seal with shaft already slightly inside the volume increase is much less. Hope that makes sense, and don't worry too much about being exact I just push it in half way and cap em off. Never had any issues. Forget the rebound and stuff, do it right and let your oil wt and spring tuning do what they should.

I see you got em dialed in but this is just for anyone's future reference as well.
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:25 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshs4x4toyz View Post
The instructions are not wrong. They say 72.5 because if you build them with shock completely extended and seal it up, now when you compress the shock you are significantly increasing the volume inside with the shaft and could pop the cap. If you cap and seal with shaft already slightly inside the volume increase is much less. Hope that makes sense, and don't worry too much about being exact I just push it in half way and cap em off. Never had any issues. Forget the rebound and stuff, do it right and let your oil wt and spring tuning do what they should.

I see you got em dialed in but this is just for anyone's future reference as well.

Thanks for the clarification. Great info.

ICON Shock builders question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question regarding the Rubicon kit Icon shocks... flarezfx Axial SCX-10 7 03-18-2013 02:04 PM
Question for the tire builders Mechanicalbob Tires and Wheels 4 06-06-2009 10:35 PM
Question for styrene builders Mechanicalbob Paint and Body 4 05-30-2009 07:46 AM