Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Which rear shocks do you use with your Mojave or similar drop bed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2014, 04:27 AM   #1

Default Which rear shocks do you use with your Mojave or similar drop bed?

Ive been lurking and soaking up information for a while now as I have been saving up some money to finally get a SCX10, I have a Deadbolt on pre order and cant wait for it to come out. During all my forum browsing and picture viewing I decided I wanted to do a Mojave body for its scale looks. I went ahead and ordered the Mojave body and got it in yesterday to give myself something to work on while I wait for the Deadbolt to release. I knew the rear shocks were going to have to be moved to accomodate for the drop bed so I went ahead and ordered the Gearhead relocation kit last night. It was pretty late and I didn't notice until after I had placed the order Gearhead states it is Recommended to use the kit with either Pro-Line PowerStroke Scaler Shocks (90mm-95mm) or RC4WD Dual Spring 100mm Scale Shocks. Im just wondering are those the two best setups? Does anyone use the factory shocks with the kit? Gearhead states here "We did not measure a before and after setup as we did not plan on reusing the stock plastic SCX10 schocks. Besides, the stock shocks will not fit as the faux external reservoirs run into each other when installed on the upper bracket. You could possibly cut off the reservoirs if you must reuse the stock shocks."

Which no one ever answered so, Im wondering if I cut off the external reservoirs will the stock ones work for awhile or do I really have to just replace them straight away? Anyone else using the Mojave or similar body please let me know what works for you, any help is greatly appreciated.
Headrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2014, 08:09 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Which rear shocks do you use with your Mojave or similar drop bed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headrunner View Post
Ive been lurking and soaking up information for a while now as I have been saving up some money to finally get a SCX10, I have a Deadbolt on pre order and cant wait for it to come out. During all my forum browsing and picture viewing I decided I wanted to do a Mojave body for its scale looks. I went ahead and ordered the Mojave body and got it in yesterday to give myself something to work on while I wait for the Deadbolt to release. I knew the rear shocks were going to have to be moved to accomodate for the drop bed so I went ahead and ordered the Gearhead relocation kit last night. It was pretty late and I didn't notice until after I had placed the order Gearhead states it is Recommended to use the kit with either Pro-Line PowerStroke Scaler Shocks (90mm-95mm) or RC4WD Dual Spring 100mm Scale Shocks. Im just wondering are those the two best setups? Does anyone use the factory shocks with the kit? Gearhead states here "We did not measure a before and after setup as we did not plan on reusing the stock plastic SCX10 schocks. Besides, the stock shocks will not fit as the faux external reservoirs run into each other when installed on the upper bracket. You could possibly cut off the reservoirs if you must reuse the stock shocks."

Which no one ever answered so, Im wondering if I cut off the external reservoirs will the stock ones work for awhile or do I really have to just replace them straight away? Anyone else using the Mojave or similar body please let me know what works for you, any help is greatly appreciated.
If I remember correctly. When I tried the stock shocks the springs hit the frame real bad.And put the rear end up to high.I ended up going with the short RC4WD ultimate scale shocks off a TF2 int the rear and the long ones in the front.And to stiffen them up a bit. I used ink pen springs along with the springs already in them. I hope this helped. I'm not saying the shocks I use are the best but you really should do some measuring with the relocation kit on because the rear shocks will be shorter then the fronts.
T I N Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:25 AM   #3

Thanks for the input T I N Y ill look into those. I honestly wasn't even thinking about the front shocks but that makes sense that I may have to replace them as well to get a level ride. Anyone else with a Mojave body on SCX10 using Pro-Line PowerStroke's ? Would two sets one for the front and one for the rear do the trick?
Old 05-15-2014, 02:00 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

my son made copy of the gearhead Rr. CO mount/design.
utilized the original factory CO's

he didn't like the articulation...
was too free and overly soft (required limiters in the CO's).
Using the GH design often found the Mojave on it's side
and had too much left to right body roll.

Instead made a coupla' home brew brackets
and mounted the Rr. Traxxas 100mm BB CO's canted towards center.
The fronts are in their standard position.

more pics

The front CO's utilize soft Losi springs (white) 25 wt/3 hole pist

The rear required stiffer Losi springs (red) 30 wt/3 hole pist

seems to be working better then the / \ mount

* doing this will reduce load capacity
but then... so does the gearhead design

stiffer CO springs/ higher wt oil may be necessary
if bed load capacity is of importance.

Note...

there will eventually be another bed/body mount
located towards the rear end of the frame.

Last edited by TacoCrawler; 05-15-2014 at 02:04 PM.
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:00 PM   #5

Thank you for the insight from you and your sons personal experience TacoCrawler not sure what to do at this point. I really like the Mojave body since it looks so scale however I am starting to wonder how much trouble its going to be and if it will drive as well as it would with a a lexan body with stock shock positions when I'm done. Been digging through others build threads all day trying to learn everything I can.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:41 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headrunner View Post
Thank you for the insight from you and your sons personal experience TacoCrawler not sure what to do at this point. I really like the Mojave body since it looks so scale however I am starting to wonder how much trouble its going to be and if it will drive as well as it would with a a lexan body with stock shock positions when I'm done. Been digging through others build threads all day trying to learn everything I can.
here's another thing to be aware of...

if you go with the Mojave body...
would require the shorter wheel base... ie: the dingo's 11.4"

I purchased, along with my son's, a 2nd Mojave body for myself.
I haven't done a thing with it, as of yet.
But I did help the son with the mounting of his Mojave body.

velcro seems to hold it purdy well

I thinking of stretching my Mojave body to fit a 12.3" WB
then I might think to run it

for me... I didn't want to trade off for the shorter wheel base...
so I still run the Honcho body and 12.3" WB...
just customized it up a little... so it doesn't look like every other RTR

realize what ever you choose to do...
The SCX-10 chassis is just a platform
the wheel base can be altered without much difficulty nor expense.

working on it should be half the fun of driving it

have fun !

Last edited by TacoCrawler; 05-15-2014 at 11:45 PM.
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:35 AM   #7

Thanks for that TacoCrawler I realize I'll have to make new links for it and you are 100% right working on these things is what happens more than driving them sometimes and that is half the fun. I'm just going to roll with it and have fun getting it to work and do what I want it to do. I'll look into the Velcro idea as well. Yesterday as a stressful day for some reason my wife is right at 36 weeks pregnant so just have a lot going on right now. Even though there are a ton of build threads for Hilux/Mojave's I might as well make one more once my Deadbolt gets in and I actually start doing some work on it I'll post as I go. Thanks again for the encouragement

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoCrawler View Post
here's another thing to be aware of...

if you go with the Mojave body...
would require the shorter wheel base... ie: the dingo's 11.4"

I purchased, along with my son's, a 2nd Mojave body for myself.
I haven't done a thing with it, as of yet.
But I did help the son with the mounting of his Mojave body.

velcro seems to hold it purdy well

I thinking of stretching my Mojave body to fit a 12.3" WB
then I might think to run it

for me... I didn't want to trade off for the shorter wheel base...
so I still run the Honcho body and 12.3" WB...
just customized it up a little... so it doesn't look like every other RTR

realize what ever you choose to do...
The SCX-10 chassis is just a platform
the wheel base can be altered without much difficulty nor expense.

working on it should be half the fun of driving it

have fun !

Which rear shocks do you use with your Mojave or similar drop bed? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Drop Bed Rear Suspenion? BigChevyTruckin General Scale Talk 11 09-14-2012 12:36 PM
drop bed....how are you doing shocks pike2350 Axial SCX-10 4 05-23-2012 10:26 PM
Shocks for drop bed bayareaaxial General Crawlers 6 09-19-2011 07:50 PM