Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Scratch build, axle / link / cms choices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2014, 07:24 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Question Scratch build, axle / link / cms choices

Hey all,

I'm starting an SCX-10 scratch build, meaning no kit, parts ordered as needed. The end goal is a good looking scale rig, capable of trails, with a military pickup body. Should be fun

My biggest unknown right now is what axles to go with, and what links to run with them. Let me preface this by saying that I'd like to run a CMS setup for the added scale look, and that I'm shooting for a 12.3" wheelbase.

Option 1: Stock plastic axles (AXI80003) with the Axial link set (AXI30550). I'd then have to figure out how to get a CMS setup, any thoughts on a stand-alone CMS setup that would work?

Option 2: Stock plastic axles with the VP 3 link / CMS / panhard link set: Axial SCX 3 Link / CMS / Panhard Conversion Kit for Stock 12.3 WB

Option 3: Substitute VP aluminum axles for the plastic ones above, keeping the VP link setup the same: Axial scx10 Aluminum Axle Housing ax80012 ax80020 ax30500

Option 4: Go with VP Currie axles with the VP 10 link kit: Currie/SCX Titanium 10 pcs. Link kit Once again, this would leave me without CMS, and I'm not sure if you can run CMS with the VP Currie axles?

I already have a fully VP'd out Wraith, so I know VP quality and that's why I'm choosing them over other manufacturers if I'm not going to stick with stock Axial plastic. However, am I overlooking any other quality options?

Thank you in advance for any thoughtful feedback.
MetalNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Scratch build, axle / link / cms choices

you might want to reconsider Option 3 as the VP replacement housings won't allow you to use any aftermarket Panhard kit, not even VP makes one for it. unless you make your own like i did.
dextan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:14 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

VP makes a panhard kit for their SCX curries.

SCX-JK Panhard bar for Vanquish SCX Currie axles (black)

As well as a CMS SCX mount
Axial SCX Front Bumper / CMS Mount Silver
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:33 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dextan22 View Post
you might want to reconsider Option 3 as the VP replacement housings won't allow you to use any aftermarket Panhard kit, not even VP makes one for it. unless you make your own like i did.
Oh man, for real? That seems kinda crazy to me, but looking around I haven't found anything to contradict what you're saying. That's a bummer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
VP makes a panhard kit for their SCX curries.

SCX-JK Panhard bar for Vanquish SCX Currie axles (black)

As well as a CMS SCX mount
Axial SCX Front Bumper / CMS Mount Silver
Sweet, thank you for those links, I didn't find them when I was poking around before. So, for the CMS mount, I see it doesn't come with any links. Any idea which length link I'd need to connect to the steering hub?

I haven't decided how much I want to bling out this build, I went overboard on the Wraith and now I baby it too much. I want a trail rig, so perhaps Option 2 is the way to go. Not sure I'd have the heart to put $300 worth of Currie axles through the mud
Old 09-09-2014, 05:19 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Ok, so I'm getting ready to buy some parts and I'm still slight confused. If I get Currie axles, and I get the 10 link kit (Currie/SCX Titanium 10 pcs Link Kit - Vanquish Products), the panhard (SCX/JK Panhard Bar for Vanquish SCX Currie Axles Black - Vanquish Products), and the cms mount (Axial SCX Front Bumper / CMS Mount Black - Vanquish Products), will it all bolt up? Also, is the servo link included in the 10 link kit going to be the right size?

Sorry if this is obvious, I'm having a hard time figuring this out. :(
Old 09-09-2014, 05:31 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalNut View Post
Ok, so I'm getting ready to buy some parts and I'm still slight confused. If I get Currie axles, and I get the 10 link kit (Currie/SCX Titanium 10 pcs Link Kit - Vanquish Products), the panhard (SCX/JK Panhard Bar for Vanquish SCX Currie Axles Black - Vanquish Products), and the cms mount (Axial SCX Front Bumper / CMS Mount Black - Vanquish Products), will it all bolt up? Also, is the servo link included in the 10 link kit going to be the right size?

Sorry if this is obvious, I'm having a hard time figuring this out. :(
Yes, it will...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP's Site
Uses stock Vanquish titanium SCX Currie link kit
jeeper_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:49 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Great, thank you!

Scratch build, axle / link / cms choices - Similar Threads