Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Project Scorpion Hunter (SCX10 G6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2014, 03:40 AM   #1

Default Project Scorpion Hunter (SCX10 G6)

Well, I finally stopped looking at all of the great videos, pics, kits, and upgrades, and got the G6. The focus of this build will be desert rocks and loose granite since I live in a desert.

Anyone else that lives in a desert climate knows, or should, that scorpions glow green under a black light. The cosmetics of the build will have that theme in mind, and I hope it all makes sense in the end.

I'm not going to preach, teach, or review in this build. Really the only thing I hope to do is enjoy the project, and maybe spark an idea for some other builder along the way.

So, here goes...

GrindAZ82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2014, 03:45 AM   #2

Default Re: Project Scorpion Hunter (SCX10 G6)

The first thing I know I want to do is overdrive the front axle since most of the terrain is shelf or rock ledges.

To keep the budget down a bit, and since I'm not sure I will need to under drive the rear, I will only upgrade the front axle during the build.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:59 AM   #3

Axles Done.

I have since removed the zip tie and used shrink tubing instead to help with the driveline pin.

I used green shrink tubing on the links for color.

Shocks have no oil.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:01 AM   #4

Transmission is done.

I decided not to mirror it during the build. Maybe later if it seems to require the flip.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:08 AM   #5

Finally, the motor and ESC.

I have always planned on a Tekin motor, but bounced back and forth about the turns and the ESC. I finally decided on the T45 and got the kit with the FX-R ESC.

As you can see, I am going to use a 14T pinion. This will get me a 6.21 gear ratio. The only thing I am worried about is the 48 pitch gears, but I was having trouble finding the ratio I wanted in 32 pitch.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:15 AM   #6

Obviously I need good rock sliders in the terrain I plan to run, but I need to have this truck ready for memorial day weekend. Because of the deadline, I can't order anything so modify is the answer.

I cut, rounded, and flipped the stock sliders. They will work until a later upgrade, hopefully one with a rear bump to try and stop axle hang-ups.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:19 AM   #7

I looked at several of the different mods and bolt on parts to move the servo to the chassis. I finally decided to get the Vanquish mount. I got the non JK version so I can run the dingo bumper once I can find one.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:28 AM   #8

I used the aluminum battery tray to mount my electronics in the front.

Sorry, I'm missing some pictures. I will edit this post with more details and pics later.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:35 AM   #9

I decided to go with the Pro-Line bead locks. They are a plastic wheel with metal locks, but I think they look better than many more expensive wheels.

If you don't have a drill to put the bead bolts in, it would be faster for you to drive to the store and buy one than trying to do these by hand. It took forever even with a drill.

I decided to use the stock foams, but I thought they were too firm. I ran a little without any foam, but sucked a tire, so I decided to try cutting the stock foam in half.

I hope this works. I might just throw the tires away if I have to redo all the bead bolts.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:44 AM   #10

Due to my deadline, and no one local having the MIP drivelines, I searched for a solid fix for the stock driveline failure. There were some metal and wood close, but these body posts were the exact size. I would recommend sanding them enough and leaving one hole visible to make them removable, but there is no way the splines will twist now.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:02 AM   #11

Well, I made my deadline. Many upgrades and mods will follow, buy I have tested it on a few obstacles I know, and it is climbing better than any of my other rigs, so I am very happy.

I will try to get pics and video this weekend of it's performance at this stage.

btw, it climbed the rock in the last pic with low speed tire slipping until it found enough traction to pull up. The front never left the rock, but the rear bounced a little. The plan is to keep the current overdrive but I think it needs a little rear weight.

One of my planned projects is to mold weight into the inside of the rear axle. Unsprung, non-rotating, hidden for scale, and the lowest point available are the ideas.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:01 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Did you try National Hobbies for your MIPs? They usually have a set floating around.
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:24 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Do the proline's use all 16 screws to hold the bead? Or are there dummy screws for visual effect? How bout the backside of each beadlock, any screws back there?
sixtyspokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
Did you try National Hobbies for your MIPs? They usually have a set floating around.
Yes, I tried National. Everything but the SCX10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtyspokes View Post
Do the proline's use all 16 screws to hold the bead? Or are there dummy screws for visual effect? How bout the backside of each beadlock, any screws back there?
Yes. That's why I liked them. Scale and function. 32 screws per tire, 16 front, 16 rear, and only $30 a pair.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:52 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Agreed! Looks awesome, man. Nice work on the sliders. Will you be putting the dingo bumper to the saw/grinder as well? To shorten the width?
sixtyspokes is offline   Reply With Quote

Project Scorpion Hunter (SCX10 G6) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My WK crawler project....''Bounty Hunter'' bigmike07 HPI Wheely King 10 04-12-2013 01:41 PM
project: BOUNTY HUNTER buggy 2.2 Scale Rigs 41 05-07-2012 04:44 PM
Project Scorpion 88toyota88 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 61 07-20-2009 06:08 PM
Scorpion project. dave56bug Newbie General 8 06-12-2008 10:56 AM
my 1/18th scorpion project JeeperoManiako General Crawlers 22 05-08-2006 12:21 AM