Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: PinchFlat's Honcho to Deadbolt Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2014, 11:00 AM   #1
Say hello to my dactylion

Default PinchFlat's Honcho to Deadbolt Conversion

So one of our local clubs (801RCC) does these KICK ASS Ultra4 endurance type events each month and with all these awesome Axial rigs out & coming out there has been discussion of running an additional class at the 801RCC Ultra4 events. Currently they are running Ultra class (basically 2.2 all balls rigs) and a Trail class (a mostly open 1.9 class). So now they will be running a Stock class. Sounds like a blast to me.

Here is the basic rules & regs for the stock class:
T-Money:"The idea behind stock class is to create a class that is very inexpensive to get into and very inexpensive to maintain. Along with creating a class that every vehicle has very similar performance. So it should make it more of a "drivers" class.

-Stock:- Any RTR or production vehicle running a 2.2" or 1.9" rim. Vehicles in this class can not have any performance enhancing upgrades. This class will be limited to 6000mah 2s batteries and brushed motors, 27t or higher. Servos will be limited to 160oz or less. Driver can swap and change equipment to other components of equal performance. Example: A driver of an RTR Honcho may opt for aluminum steering and lower links because other production SCX10 "kits" come stock with these components. Due to not being able to tech certain internal components, trans and axle gears may be swapped for HD options. No overdrive setups. No additional weight to the vehicle or wheels. Gearing changes are legal."

Sounds fun right? Well I don't have anything close to being out of the box stock but my good old Honcho Bismarck is close-ish. Now time for a conversion from semi-modified Honcho to bone stock Deadbolt.

I got hold of a take-off Deadbolt body and a trip to the LHS for a poison spider front bumper and a light kit and a few other miscellaneous parts to get started.

Still need:
-Swap out frame rails for OEM un-braised on metal sliders & bumpers
-Replace front axial housing with new one with posts, so I can mount a servo on the axle like the stock set-up
-Add OEM sliders
-OEM Axial rims
-2c Battery packs
-Find the OEM RTR electronics from the Honcho-hope they are still in working order
-Create a Reign RC Grill for the Deadbolt body?

Time to strip down Bismarck of all its upgrades and Honcho body.
Attached Images

PinchFlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2014, 11:16 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: PinchFlat's Honcho to Deadbolt Conversion

Nice, i like the "axial stock" class
Richterat83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:18 AM   #3
RCC Addict

We did something like that for awhile but ours was "stock" stock. You could only use parts that came on one of the scx10 models. RTR or kits. No upgrades at all. It was a blast...
T I N Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:19 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Where I run they are gunna do stock class also I'm thinking of running a rtr green honcho. I'd have to return it to stock though. Sounds like fun.
im gunna crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:33 AM   #5

So I have stripped all the non-OEM upgraded parts off Bismarck and returned it back to stock SCX10.

- I swapped out the old braised on frame rails with metal sliders & bumpers for new OEM SCX10 rails
- Added The Poison Spider front bumper
- Added OEM Sliders
- Mounted Light bar on Deadbolt body to match Green SCX10 Deadbolt body
- Found the OEM RTR electronics (minus servo) from the Honcho-they are still in working order
- Found some Axial beadlocks in my parts bin (gotta strip of the stick-on weight to return to stock)
- Created and mounted a Reign RC Grill for the Deadbolt body (pics to come-gotta download from phone)

Still need to:
-Replace front axial housing with new one with posts, so I can mount a servo on the axle like the stock set-up
-Mount up body
-Shocks need a rebuild
-Install Electronics
-Find a stock servo (160oz or less)
-Buy 2c Battery packs

Last edited by PinchFlat; 06-05-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:43 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Awesome Matt! Great to see support for this class!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T I N Y View Post
We did something like that for awhile but ours was "stock" stock. You could only use parts that came on one of the scx10 models. RTR or kits. No upgrades at all. It was a blast...
This is the same idea, but with exceptions for things are impossible to tech (tranny gears and axle gears/lockers require taking the truck apart to inspect), and allowing different servos and such means when you inevitably blow the stock servo up, you don't have to Ebay another garbage Axial one, you can just buy a 645 or whatever your equivalent flavor of choice is and not worry about someone complaining.

"Upgrades" are allowed to RTR's so they meet the specs of the kits, but that's it. It's awesome that you can buy a $300 Deadbolt SCX-10 and if you can drive, you can be competitive in this class.
metalry101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:05 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Nice start, Pinch!!
We'll have to get together for a trail run with new rigs soon
NaZ-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:30 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

How does the orange body line up with the mounting points. Are you going to run honcho length links? So that you've got the 98 fronts 106 rear links.
im gunna crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by im gunna crawl View Post
How does the orange body line up with the mounting points. Are you going to run honcho length links? So that you've got the 98 fronts 106 rear links.
I will have to drill new holes. The SCX10 body post locations do not line up with the AX10 body post locations. The rear won't be noticeable but the front I'll have to hide with a sticker of something.

Yeah I am running stock honcho length links.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:38 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Might be able to use the JK style mounts in the rear - they have a bit of offset. I didn't try it, but it looked awfully close. Nothing doing in the front though, they are pretty far off. (Covered the old holes with vinyl wrap as well)

Curious how that lines up with Honcho links. I started with a Dingo, and lengthened the rear about 5mm or so. Seems to fit good.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:10 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Watching this thread. I've been thinking of using a Dolt body in place of the Dingo, just for tire clearance and a different look.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:52 PM   #12
TSK
Shelf queen

Friends don't let friends drive stock!

Does the SCX Deadbolt use the same body with different mounts or same mounts with different holes?
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:04 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
Friends don't let friends drive stock!

Does the SCX Deadbolt use the same body with different mounts or same mounts with different holes?
It uses the same mounts as a standard SCX-10 w/ different holes in the body.
metalry101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:46 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

looking forward to seeing this new grill - And running one saying I just picked up the scx10 deadbolt
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej View Post
looking forward to seeing this new grill - And running one saying I just picked up the scx10 deadbolt
Still working on the design but check it out. I left part the the stock sticker showing through the grill holes.
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2014, 01:53 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Wow PinchFlat! That looks fantastic! Can't wait until these are available.

Steve
pastimesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinchFlat View Post
I will have to drill new holes. The SCX10 body post locations do not line up with the AX10 body post locations. The rear won't be noticeable but the front I'll have to hide with a sticker of something.

Yeah I am running stock honcho length links.
My son is using the same body and we had the same issue. I had some Traxxas body clip retainers that I figured would fill the hole nicely and make it kinda look like they were supposed to be there all along! The widest part of the retainer plug is the same size as the pre-drilled hole. What I did was cut a small piece of lexan to cover the holes and shoe goo'd it in place from underneath. Then I drilled the proper size hole for the retainer plug centered in the new lexan. When the plug is in place the top of it fills the hole completely and just barely sticks out.

DowntownScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:24 PM   #18

Very clever...must steal
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownScience View Post
My son is using the same body and we had the same issue. I had some Traxxas body clip retainers that I figured would fill the hole nicely and make it kinda look like they were supposed to be there all along! The widest part of the retainer plug is the same size as the pre-drilled hole. What I did was cut a small piece of lexan to cover the holes and shoe goo'd it in place from underneath. Then I drilled the proper size hole for the retainer plug centered in the new lexan. When the plug is in place the top of it fills the hole completely and just barely sticks out.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:26 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Still working on the design but check it out. I left part the the stock sticker showing through the grill holes.
Did you make that? Very nice.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:38 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Very clever...must steal
It's all yours!

PinchFlat's Honcho to Deadbolt Conversion - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honcho to Beast Xj Conversion donnielovett Axial SCX-10 23 04-25-2014 09:34 AM
Trying to decidle between honcho, wraith and deadbolt Coonburger Newbie General 12 12-15-2013 08:17 PM
Dingo to Honcho Conversion jeeping33 Axial SCX-10 4 04-18-2013 12:46 PM
SCX-10 CF100 to honcho conversion norbyx Axial SCX-10 3 08-26-2010 09:24 AM
Honcho leaf spring conversion crawlerax General Scale Talk 1 08-20-2010 01:38 PM