Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Dudley Deadbolt's Adventure Thread by T-money

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2015, 01:45 PM   #221

Default Re: Dudley Deadbolt's Adventure Thread by T-money

Amazing pics...... as Always
Denhussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2015, 02:12 PM   #222
Rock Crawler

I think you should pitch "Dudley Deadbolt's Adventures" as a reality show to the Travel channel. The scenery is spectacular.
sgil2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:54 PM   #223
RCC Addict

Just a little update on Dudleys wear and tear.

So far Dudleys total coast, including upgrades and repairs comes to $465
Dudley has logged over 76 miles. The last 11.1 miles have been logged on an exposed ring gear that I can't believe is still holding up.
I still have not replaced a single bearing although I hear some of them squealing from time to time.
Dudleys body is looking a little ruff but still hanging in there.
I did snag a few pics to show you guys the tire wear and such.

Front tire. Not bad. Doesn't look like dudley is getting new shoes anytime soon.

Rear tire. A little more worn than the front but still looking good

Some weeds wrapped up in he hub from one of our earlier trips up Bell canyon (that's right I haven't even pulled a wheel nut on Dudley in months)

Links are definitely getting used, but no signs of any issues.

And the ever growing hole in the front housing. The ring gear is actually wearing down on the outer edge but it just wont quit!! water, sand, snow, mud, dirt, and dust all get in there and it just keeps on going.

NaZ-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:21 PM   #224
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaZ-T View Post
Just a little update on Dudleys wear and tear.

So far Dudleys total coast, including upgrades and repairs comes to $465
Dudley has logged over 76 miles. The last 11.1 miles have been logged on an exposed ring gear that I can't believe is still holding up.
I still have not replaced a single bearing although I hear some of them squealing from time to time.
Dudleys body is looking a little ruff but still hanging in there.
I did snag a few pics to show you guys the tire wear and such.

Front tire. Not bad. Doesn't look like dudley is getting new shoes anytime soon.

Rear tire. A little more worn than the front but still looking good

Some weeds wrapped up in he hub from one of our earlier trips up Bell canyon (that's right I haven't even pulled a wheel nut on Dudley in months)

Links are definitely getting used, but no signs of any issues.

And the ever growing hole in the front housing. The ring gear is actually wearing down on the outer edge but it just wont quit!! water, sand, snow, mud, dirt, and dust all get in there and it just keeps on going.

Hahaha.
Best post yet in this thread "T-$"

This truck could end up in a museum if you keep this up.

I look forward to a trail run soon with you and Dudley.
Chaotic Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:19 PM   #225
RCC Addict

Well, I haven't been getting out with Dudley as much as I would like during the cold winter months. But Dudley still gets out for the monthly 801rcc events held locally. This time we head to the desert for the "West desert Waltz"

This event was held at Lil Moab. Lil Moab is "THE" crawl spot for 801rcc. A favorite for local R/Cer's and 1:1's alike. On any given weekend you can find ATV's, UTV's, Dirt Bikes, custom rock buggies, Jeeps, Toyotas, and Campers out here enjoying the great outdoors.

This course was a tough one as usual (after all we want to know capable our rigs are) The course covered .7 miles of challenging terrain. Dudley finished the course without incident, he did take a nasty fall of about 15' but landed on all four and continued on issue free.

A couple pics from the day of play

On our way out to the event. Looks like a great day for R/C'n

Looks like another great turnout.

Dudley at the starting gate

Do work driver!!!

There were a number of good climbs throughout the course

Along with some steep drops

Got to run with fellow G6er and Axialfest legend G-diddy. Some of you might remember he dominated the "Ultra" class at Axialfest 2013.

G-Diddy was piloting his new SCX10 nicknamed "Skippy Scout"

Dudley entering "The Wash" section of the course

Dudley follows the traffic laws, While we're stopped might as well take in some of the beautiful scenery.

Dudley getting into the rocky sections

A few fellow G6er's do'n work on course

One last loose section before the finish

Die hard G6er Chris getting it done on crutches. Now that's dedication!!

Some snow flurries in the afternoon, but didn't last long. It's all part of the adventure and fun

A scenery shot from earlier in the day

After the snow moved on we were treated to a great sunset

Old 03-04-2015, 12:32 AM   #226
RCC Addict

Awesome thread! I just recently picked up a Deadbolt myself and I am trying to keep it on the cheap and just have fun with it. Thanks for the inspiration.
Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:58 PM   #227
RCC Addict

G-diddy dominated 2.2 class in 2013 right?
My good friends from Sonoma County Scalers swept the 1.9 ultra podium that year. It was a party.
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:28 AM   #228
Rock Crawler

This thread had inspired me to pick up a rtr and to run it! I was going to get the deadbolt but I ended up with the Falken. I figured with the wetness and muck here in the northeast the treps would be needing attention right away.

Plan on starting a similar thread to this, I like to log the miles and parts that have gone into it for my own reference.

Only plan on relocating the electronics like Dudley. Then I'm expecting the links right away but I am not going to turn a wrench on it unless I absolutely have too.

Just wanted to say thanks for opening my eyes on how much fun a stock rig is. I still love my highly modded yeti, honcho and tf2 but those rigs have there place. I really just want a everyday rig.

One question? Are you using the strava app to log the miles as Brandon suggested? I'm looking for a option that doesn't require cell service to still log. I don't mind if it's off my phone either (iPhone 6)
802coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:21 AM   #229
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 802coma View Post
This thread had inspired me to pick up a rtr and to run it! I was going to get the deadbolt but I ended up with the Falken. I figured with the wetness and muck here in the northeast the treps would be needing attention right away.

Plan on starting a similar thread to this, I like to log the miles and parts that have gone into it for my own reference.

Only plan on relocating the electronics like Dudley. Then I'm expecting the links right away but I am not going to turn a wrench on it unless I absolutely have too.

Just wanted to say thanks for opening my eyes on how much fun a stock rig is. I still love my highly modded yeti, honcho and tf2 but those rigs have there place. I really just want a everyday rig.

One question? Are you using the strava app to log the miles as Brandon suggested? I'm looking for a option that doesn't require cell service to still log. I don't mind if it's off my phone either (iPhone 6)
Thanks for the interest and kind words.

I did use "Strava" at first, but when I would go on longer hikes my phone would die before I'd get done with the hike. It worked pretty good on short hikes but when I was out of cell service the GPS would kill the battery in just a few hours. so I stopped using it after a few outings.

I currently have a small on board GPS that I velcro onto Dudley's center console and I also have a Garmin that I carry on my backpack. This works good as it gives me two GPS logs so I can make sure I'm pretty accurate. It's also great because if the battery goes dead in one (usually the on board GPS) I have the other to get the info from so I don't miss any mileage.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:26 AM   #230
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaZ-T View Post
Thanks for the interest and kind words.

I did use "Strava" at first, but when I would go on longer hikes my phone would die before I'd get done with the hike. It worked pretty good on short hikes but when I was out of cell service the GPS would kill the battery in just a few hours. so I stopped using it after a few outings.

I currently have a small on board GPS that I velcro onto Dudley's center console and I also have a Garmin that I carry on my backpack. This works good as it gives me two GPS logs so I can make sure I'm pretty accurate. It's also great because if the battery goes dead in one (usually the on board GPS) I have the other to get the info from so I don't miss any mileage.

Hmm, thanks for the info on the GPS stuff. I do have a battery backup I can plug my phone into. Just worried I will forgot to plug it in if I decide to snap a few pics with the phone.

I am hoping that I can carry my dslr for pics but again I don't know how much I want to hike with either.

I'm interested to see how the damages compare and when.
802coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:59 AM   #231
Quarry Creeper

I might have missed it. But what batteries are you running? 2s or 3s. Thanks Ken
opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:44 PM   #232
Rock Stacker

I have seen the references to your water crossings. Do you perform any preventative maintenance? If so what all do you do?
Tbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:42 PM   #233
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by opie View Post
I might have missed it. But what batteries are you running? 2s or 3s. Thanks Ken
Nothing special in the battery department (Dudley's too budget conscious for high end packs)

I just run some 2s 5000mah 25c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbrown View Post
I have seen the references to your water crossings. Do you perform any preventative maintenance? If so what all do you do?
Still have all the original bearings in the rig. I do throw a drop of oil on the ones I can get to on occasion, but even that is very rare (I think I have done it maybe 3 times in Dudley)
Old 03-30-2015, 01:36 AM   #234
RCC Addict

Dudley got out for his first real good run of 2015!!

For this page in Dudleys adventure some friends and I headed to the San Rafael Swell, located in south eastern Utah. This was my first time visiting the "The Swell" and it was amazing!! This place is home to some beautiful desert landscape with deep canyons, sand washes, and stunning rock formations. We also got to see some Native American pictographs.

Dudley hit a couple different crawl spots and logged 3.1 miles of distance.

Dudley did have some breakage, nothing that caused issues though. Just broke one of the Rock Sliders. I removed the both of them as they are tied together from the rock lights I have mounted on them. But other than that Dudley ran like a top all weekend in a beautiful place on great terrain.

First group of pics is of the Pictograph Art

A pic of the San Rafael Swinging bridge. This 160 foot suspension bridge was built in 1937 and was a pretty big deal back in the day for farmers and ranches herding livestock in the area.

Some rock formations near the Swinging Bridge

The Wedge Overlook: Nicknamed the “Little Grand Canyon,” it is the deepest part of the San Rafael River canyon located directly beneath the Wedge Overlook in the San Rafael Swell. Looking down river from the Overlook, you can see where Buckhorn Draw—a narrow, winding canyon walled in by scenic sandstone cliffs—meets the San Rafael River canyon.

Some pics of the place we visited to do some crawling

And of course some of Dudley on the rocks

Last edited by NaZ-T; 03-30-2015 at 01:41 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:21 AM   #235
Pebble Pounder

Still love this thread. I check on it every once in a while just to see if Dudley is still going. Always great photos and it's inspiring to see a truck put in work without any major upgrades.
OkinawaCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:20 PM   #236
RCC Addict

Dudley was in action again at the local 801rcc "Trail" event, "Radiation Rally"

The local events are always a blast, you get to see friends that you might only see monthly plus you get to see everyone's new setups and or new rides. Best of all everyone is enjoying the great outdoors with their friends and family and sharing a passion for this great hobby.

Dudley logged .8 miles of distance at the event without any issues. I didn't get around to replacing the rock sliders yet as they require a bit of modifying and LED mounting before they can be installed, but we'll get them on soon.

A few pics for you guys to enjoy

Another good turnout

Some people off in the distance doin work on course

Dudley on course

This steep climb was a bit much for Dudleys worn 27t stock motor but a winch from a friend got him through.

A steep crock climb with a bit too much throttle sent Dudley for a tumble

Some random shot of this great venue

Old 04-06-2015, 02:41 PM   #237
I wanna be Dave

Wow, more great pics love it!

and Dudley keeps on tickin.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:19 PM   #238
Rock Crawler

I met Dudley earlier this week down in Moab at area BFE he was mobbin in the Recon G6...
801RYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:40 PM   #239
Quarry Creeper

I am a complete noob to all this but this thread inspired another SLC Utard to buy a Deadbolt. Will arrive at my door tomorrow, can't wait! Hopefully I can see Dudley out on the trail.
scaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:28 PM   #240
RCC Addict

I especially LOL'd @ "SLC utard"
Brings back memories from my time living there.
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote

Dudley Deadbolt's Adventure Thread by T-money - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new money? funny money robbio4422 Chit Chat 13 09-19-2010 05:30 PM
Montana Scale Adventure Club Adventure Series montana.matt Montana 9 03-17-2010 09:22 AM