Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Dudley Deadbolt's Adventure Thread by T-money

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2014, 03:40 PM   #121
RCC Addict

Default Re: Dudley Deadbolt's Adventure Thread by T-money

Adventure Update!!

A few outings ago we did the first half of the Mill B Trail that heads up to Lake Blanche, Lake Florence and Lake Lillian. due to daylight we had to turn back before completing this awesome trail. This time out I got an earlier start in hopes of actually making up to the lakes. Well, we made it!!

This has been the longest "Trail Run" for Dudley to date, logging an amazing 7 miles round trip, in just over 5 hours. And boy was it worth it!!
Dudley performed flawlessly and burned through 3 packs on this journey.
I honestly can't say enough about how amazing the views are at the top of this trail. My pics do it no justice.

Trail info: (taken from Summit Post)
  • Lake Blanche is one of the most scenic places in the whole Wasatch Range. Trail is 2.9 miles to Lake Blanche, another .5 mile to Lake Lillian. The Trail gains elevation at a steady pace the whole time. This means you don't ever loose any elevation, which is a real good thing. The trail is classified as a Class 2 trail, meaning it can be strenuous for the Average hiker

Sundial Peak:
  • This is the only peak I want to go into details because its so amazing to every extent.
  • Sundial Peak is one of the most amazing shaped peaks in the Wasatch. Sundial Peak really holds up to its name. Named for its natural sundial appearance, the peak really is a natural marvel. On a sundial, you have three points for the sun to cast a shadow to show what time it is, and when viewed from Lake Blanche, Sundial peak does indeed have three points. Its amazing how mother nature made a clock way before man even existed.

Lake Blanche:
  • Lake Blanche is the largest of the 3 lakes. Lake Blanche sits directly below Sundial Peak, and has a great view of Dromedary Peak, the back side of Superior, Monte Cristo, and the canyon below. At 8920 feet this is a very surreal scene. It is very peaceful, with big red rocks to view the lake from.
  • The water is a really nice blue, with green reflections of trees. When the sun shines in the water, it sparkles.

Lake Florence:
  • Lake Florence is the second and the smallest of the 3 lakes. a big stream from Lake Blanche, connects to this lake. This lake, like Lake Blanche, is a also very beautiful. You can also view this lake from the quartzite rocks. Also, like Lake Blanche, it has shimmering water, with sparkles during the sunlight hours. Lake Florence also has a view of Sunrise, Dromedary and Sundial Peaks.

Lake Lillian:
  • Lake Lillian is the third and last lake. It is almost Two-Third the size of Lake Blanche. This lake is also really beautiful and is also surrounded by quartzite rock. A small stream also connects Lake Florence to Lake Lillian and from there, all three lakes are drained down to the Big Cottonwood Canyon Stream.

On to the pics.

A couple shots from the road just before the trail head

A few from the trail head and info sign just after you start.

Dudley on trail and some of the views as you hike (there are a lot of rock to play on along the way but I failed to get any pics of the rocky sections)

NaZ-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2014, 04:12 PM   #122
RCC Addict

We made it!!

After arriving at Lake Blanche I debated about turning back as I was pretty tired and very low on water, but I figured I was already up there and who knows how long before I would make it back up. So I decided to head on to the other lakes. I am very glad I did as the second two lakes rival Lake Blanche's beauty. Upon arriving at the third lake (Lillian Lake) I was privileged to get the chance to see some wild life. A pair of Moose were drinking and eating as I came over the small ridge. Although they seem a little ways off in the pics they sure felt close and had my hart racing as I tried (and failed) to get a good pic.

A couple shots of Dudley at Lake Blanche.

Dudley posing in front of Sundial Peak

A pic of the Waterfall that flows from Lake Blanche to Lake Florence and a pic from the far side of Lake Florence

And Lake Lillian with the Moose

Playing on some of the glacial cut rock before the Sun went down

Old 08-01-2014, 04:26 PM   #123
RCC Addict

As the sun started to set I was still in awe of the trail and the beautiful scenery and wild life I had seen so far, but mother nature had a few more moments for me to enjoy. As the sunset started to change the sky the beauty of this amazing place took over and I was feeling all tingly inside as I got to experience one of the most beautiful sites I've seen in my life. (sorry about getting all mushy on you guys)

Pics do it no justice at all

Old 08-01-2014, 06:52 PM   #124
Rock Crawler

So beautiful! Makes me hate how flat Florida is.
mudbeast2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #125

Well Im new to the forum and just read this from the start. Firstly thanks for all the effort your putting in, goes well beyond any regular "Build" thread and is great to read and see your pics. Ive been into RC for years but never gotten into the scaler side, racing you never even contemplate the RTR's for a setup.

I had a big money kit build on the books and was about to start ordering away, but after reading this thread I don't see the point! Thanks for the great thread man and Utah looks awesome!
Mash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:32 AM   #126
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by naz-t View Post
priceless!

Last edited by jhghah; 08-02-2014 at 06:37 AM.
jhghah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:53 PM   #127
RCC Addict

Once again, thanks for the compliments guys

Got out to the mountains again for some more play time with Dudley.

Back to Bald mtn for some fun crawling with a couple friends Didn't log a ton of distance but the crawling that we did was on some pretty tough lines. Fun crawling always seem to push the rigs to their limit, which is good because you'll know your rigs limits much better. This outing Dudley logged 1.4 tough miles though out the day of crawling.

Of course a couple pics (nothing to special)

Old 08-05-2014, 05:57 PM   #128
RCC Addict

Playing in the water is always fun

Old 08-05-2014, 05:59 PM   #129
RCC Addict

And some of the scenery and terrain

Old 08-05-2014, 06:02 PM   #130
I wanna be Dave

Those are some amazing pictures. Looks like some great terrain to drive on
billj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:45 PM   #131

awesome as usual....
mr. losi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:57 PM   #132
RCC Addict

Hittin the trails like crazy lately

This part of Dudleys Adventure takes us up Spanish Fork canyon to Three Forks Trail, home to the Fifth Water hot springs and waterfalls. Locally just called the Diamond Fork hot springs. This trail is 2.5 miles in, 5 miles round trip. The destination, some of the best hot springs I've ever been to. The trails is an easy one and even a rig with lower capability (leaf springs, etc) would easily make the trek. The trail follows along Fifth Water Creek which is very beautiful and has numerous small water falls along the way up to the main falls and springs. Once we made it to the water fall we took a few hours to soak in the hot springs before making the return trip down in the dark.

A few pics as we head up the canyon to the trail head.

At the trail head we took a moment to ready for our journey.

On the trail. The bridge makes the half way point.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:04 PM   #133
RCC Addict

Oh no!! Dudley almost went in the river luckily a friend was able to pull him out.

Along the way we ran into a few of these things. not sure what they are but we saw multiple along the path.

Some more on the trail

Old 08-07-2014, 07:08 PM   #134
RCC Addict

And some of the scenery along the way

Playing at the main falls

Old 08-08-2014, 02:14 PM   #135
Quarry Creeper

Loving the pics!
I have really been enjoying the Deadbolt I picked up from West Valley Hobby. I have pretty much copied your setup. I am simply surprised (and reminded) just how capable a stock SCX10 is.

I would be very grateful if you could hook me up with one of those Reign RC Grills.

Hoping to make it out to the September 801RC in Lil Moab.
Chiphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:56 PM   #136
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaZ-T View Post
Hittin the trails like crazy lately

This part of Dudleys Adventure takes us up Spanish Fork canyon to Three Forks Trail, home to the Fifth Water hot springs and waterfalls. Locally just called the Diamond Fork hot springs. This trail is 2.5 miles in, 5 miles round trip. The destination, some of the best hot springs I've ever been to. The trails is an easy one and even a rig with lower capability (leaf springs, etc) would easily make the trek. The trail follows along Fifth Water Creek which is very beautiful and has numerous small water falls along the way up to the main falls and springs. Once we made it to the water fall we took a few hours to soak in the hot springs before making the return trip down in the dark.

A few pics as we head up the canyon to the trail head.

On the trail. The bridge makes the half way point.
Beautiful, kinda reminds me of the Bryce Canyon area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaZ-T View Post
Oh no!! Dudley almost went in the river luckily a friend was able to pull him out.

Along the way we ran into a few of these things. not sure what they are but we saw multiple along the path.

Some more on the trail
Department of the Interior (BLM, USGS, etc.) survey markers. Some dipstick has hammered the crap out of that one.

You can see how mineralized the water is...that milky blue/white color.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:33 PM   #137
RCC Addict

Once again on the trails with Dudley

This time out a small group of us hit Cathrine Pass trail.
The trail has some nice easy level spots and some spots that are just the opposite. It all evens out to be a nice moderate trail with some astounding views. After about a mile and a half, you reach the pass, where you can gaze down at Lake Catherine, or hike down to it (we opted to head down to the lake)

It is 1.5 miles to the pass then another .5 of a mile down to the lake. This journey was 4 miles out and back. We did spot a couple deer and a good sized buck too (the buck disappeared into the trees before I could get a pic)

Pics to share

Entering into the canyons

At the trail head before we start up the trail

On the trail with Dudleys friends

Last edited by NaZ-T; 08-12-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:40 PM   #138
RCC Addict

Some of the amazing Utah scenery

At the pass and down by Lake Cathrine

Just before sundown

Old 08-12-2014, 02:43 PM   #139
Quarry Creeper

Brother,you sure do live in a place of pure beauty
The DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:20 PM   #140
Rock Crawler

I'm sure I missed it but where in Utah are these pictures taken? I need to put it on my bucket list.
mudbeast2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Dudley Deadbolt's Adventure Thread by T-money - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new money? funny money robbio4422 Chit Chat 13 09-19-2010 05:30 PM
Montana Scale Adventure Club Adventure Series montana.matt Montana 9 03-17-2010 09:22 AM