Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: scx10 deadbolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2014, 07:14 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default scx10 deadbolt

So I just ordered the rtr deadbolt scx10 and the rubicon body. Has anyone ran this yet? How did you like it? My plan is to ditch the Bronco body, replace with the Rubicon and put the axles and electronics from my wraith in it and the scx10 axles and electronics in the wraith for my wife. Is the scx10 deadbolt as beefy as it seems? Thanks thoughts and input would be awesome
nwcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: scx10 deadbolt

No one has any thing to say about them?
nwcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:33 PM   #3
RCC Addict

It is a SCX10, that being said it's just as tough as any other SCX10. Great platform to basically built it up however you want.
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:51 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Now if Axial came out with a SCX-10 chassis
that was sporting a full leaf sprung suspension
I might show more interest and likely want one.

But since is just another SCX-10 sporting a different body
it brings little excitement to any seasoned scale enthusiast

That said ^

The SCX-10 chassis is a great choice for the scale RC nut

congratulation to you, on your purchase.
enjoy making it your own
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:53 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcrawler View Post
So I just ordered the rtr deadbolt scx10 and the rubicon body. Has anyone ran this yet? How did you like it? My plan is to ditch the Bronco body, replace with the Rubicon and put the axles and electronics from my wraith in it and the scx10 axles and electronics in the wraith for my wife. Is the scx10 deadbolt as beefy as it seems? Thanks thoughts and input would be awesome
How much you want for the body?
DowntownScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:58 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I am also thinking about getting a scx10 deadbolt, and was wondering what others impressions of it are. I know it has a new ESC and Servo. I don't think many people have had a chance to see one yet, so might have to wait for feedback.
mcdader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:06 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdader View Post
I am also thinking about getting a scx10 deadbolt, and was wondering what others impressions of it are. I know it has a new ESC and Servo. I don't think many people have had a chance to see one yet, so might have to wait for feedback.
I have seen one. Apart from the new 3S capable ESC that is supposedly made by HobbyWing and not Castle, the better servo, and the redesigned drive shafts it's no different than a Honcho (body excluded) or any other SCX-10 RTR.

When you buy an SCX10 you're really looking at wheel base and the included body as differences. You'll end up changing out the ESC and servo for something else regardless of which version Axial you're currently using.

If I'm going to buy one right now I'd lean toward the Falken version they released just after the Deadbolt only because it has a brand new tire on it which is 4.7" and a G6 body w/ Falken scheme.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:09 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Wow you guys sure do know how to suck the excitement out of a party.

Deadbolt should be a great truck for you and if the advertising holds up waterproof as well! Sounds like an interesting pair, the wraith with the scx10 electronics and axles and the scx10 having the wraith stuff. Put up some pics when your done with them.

Last edited by rcwolf; 06-10-2014 at 12:58 AM. Reason: misread the op
rcwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:13 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwolf View Post
Wow you guys sure do know how to suck the excitement out of a party.

Deadbolt should be a great truck for you and if the advertising holds up waterproof as well! Not sure that I would consider it beefier than a wraith but it is different. Congrats on getting one and I hope you have a great time running it and modding it.

Definitely not a Wraith! Still an SCX10...with a few changes. I do really like the new driveshafts. Definitely should be an improvement.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2014, 01:19 PM   #10

I picked one up for my Dad last weekend. He wanted me to change the ESC connector and check screws, etc...before giving it to him. They say it's waterproof but it's actually not. The new ESC is waterproof but the receiver box is not. It looks like the same box used on our other SCX-10. Has anyone else confirmed this? I'd say it's more splash proof/water resistant. If you submerge the truck water will pour into the receiver box as the opening for the wires isn't sealed, nor do I suspect the screw holes in the bottom of the box are. I drive my other trucks through shallow creeks and puddles and they aren't waterproof. But I am careful to not submerge or splash a lot of water on the electronics. I am suggesting to my Dad, he did the same with his new SCX-10 Deadbolt.
gforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

First dibbbs Deadbolt SCX10 (thoughts/reveiw)

theres only 1 issue ive found so far (if you ignore the stock plastic control arms and steering links)

scroll down and look at what i did to where the motor bolts to the motor plate....theres a gap where rocks get in and the big 32 pitch gears collect them
MichianaRCcrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:43 AM   #12

I got mine last night. This is my first crawler ever, coming from a 1/10 nitro stadium truck (and then 10 years of nothing)

(Ignore the lights in the bumper, that was just to play around with. I'm putting them in proper buckets this week.)

The electronics box is definitely not waterproof. If anything, it'd lend itself more to drowning the electronics than anything else, since it's got an unsealed opening up top, and nowhere for the water to go on the bottom. If you want the electronics to truly be protected, I'd either seal off the box with caulk/grease, or drill some holes in the bottom of it and use balloons or plastidip.

I'm just having fun exploring what this truck can do. So far, I'm blown away by the torque and just overall ability of this thing. Within 10 minutes of unpacking, I had it out in the decidedly un-manicured woods behind the house, going over fallen branches, through mud, up a stone creekbed set up for drainage. The steering geometry and overall body roll is something that's going to take some getting used to, as it's very easy to go from stopped to flipped over just by applying too much acceleration and steering at the same time.

Already upgraded the steering link, which seems to be a worthwhile upgrade. I'm going to run with it as-is for a while before deciding on a direction to take it in.

edit: Two quick questions
1) When I squeeze the tires, I can hear the air moving in and out. Do I need to be worried about water getting into the tire sponges, and is there something I can do to keep them from getting waterlogged?
2) I seem to prefer leaving the electronic drag brake at 50% instead of the standard 100%. This is probably because I'm used to nitro platforms where reverse (on the transmitter) means brake and center position means neutral. Is this a habit worth getting out of, or does it ultimately depend on how I use it? I can see it being very helpful with straight crawling, but maybe not so much for exploring trails.

Last edited by paperbag; 06-11-2014 at 08:51 AM.
paperbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:24 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperbag View Post
I got mine last night. This is my first crawler ever, coming from a 1/10 nitro stadium truck (and then 10 years of nothing)

(Ignore the lights in the bumper, that was just to play around with. I'm putting them in proper buckets this week.)

The electronics box is definitely not waterproof. If anything, it'd lend itself more to drowning the electronics than anything else, since it's got an unsealed opening up top, and nowhere for the water to go on the bottom. If you want the electronics to truly be protected, I'd either seal off the box with caulk/grease, or drill some holes in the bottom of it and use balloons or plastidip.

I'm just having fun exploring what this truck can do. So far, I'm blown away by the torque and just overall ability of this thing. Within 10 minutes of unpacking, I had it out in the decidedly un-manicured woods behind the house, going over fallen branches, through mud, up a stone creekbed set up for drainage. The steering geometry and overall body roll is something that's going to take some getting used to, as it's very easy to go from stopped to flipped over just by applying too much acceleration and steering at the same time.

Already upgraded the steering link, which seems to be a worthwhile upgrade. I'm going to run with it as-is for a while before deciding on a direction to take it in.

edit: Two quick questions
1) When I squeeze the tires, I can hear the air moving in and out. Do I need to be worried about water getting into the tire sponges, and is there something I can do to keep them from getting waterlogged?
2) I seem to prefer leaving the electronic drag brake at 50% instead of the standard 100%. This is probably because I'm used to nitro platforms where reverse (on the transmitter) means brake and center position means neutral. Is this a habit worth getting out of, or does it ultimately depend on how I use it? I can see it being very helpful with straight crawling, but maybe not so much for exploring trails.
The shocks are historically bad. there is probably little to no oil in them. this is a worthwhile upgrade. many options available. probably why the truck rolls so easy.

you definitely want holes in the rims so that air can escape. some people will put holes in the tires so that some water can escape while driving. others will tape the holes before going into the water. just take them off and squeeze them real good and most of the water will come out. if you don't have holes you can get uneven pressure in the tires since there is no way to control it. really bad at high altitudes.

however you want the drag brake is your choice. whatever fits your driving style. mine is at like 80%. too much drag brake can send you tumbling down a hill end over end. you want to be able to descend smoothly.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2014, 09:44 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

nice, thanks for the update. Mine will be here tomorrow. This will be my first scale truck as well. I started with a custom Venom creeper. So like you I am going to have to adjust to scale truck. Going to start a thread when it gets here.

What batteries are you running? I am thinking of using some 3s 2200's I have.

Last edited by mcdader; 06-11-2014 at 09:47 AM.
mcdader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:49 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdader View Post
nice, thanks for the update. Mine will be here tomorrow. This will be my first scale truck as well. I started with a custom Venom creeper. So like you I am going to have to adjust to scale truck. Going to start a thread when it gets here.

What batteries are you running? I am thinking of using some 3s 2200's I have.
The ESC can handle 3S so you should be fine. Not sure how well the stock 27T will hold up to it, so you'll have to report back on that! 2200 won't give you much run time in a competition. You'll want to go 5000 mAh + or you'll be changing batteries every 30 gates or so! For playing around at home you're good.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:45 PM   #16

I too just got my deadbolt. I added fender flares AX80040...since it said it was "compatible" from the axial website.

Well, it wasn't....but I made it fit. It looks good but takes a bit of tweaking and stretching and more stretching. I'll post some pics later today.

Oh and I custom ordered LED lights (13 leds altogether - 5 on top, 2 on the bumper, 2 headlights, 2 signal, and 2 reds in the rear) powered by 9 volt.

Last edited by bubaa; 06-12-2014 at 01:47 PM.
bubaa is offline   Reply With Quote

scx10 deadbolt - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My New SCX10 Deadbolt mncrawler89 Axial SCX-10 24 11-24-2014 05:09 PM
FREE DEADBOLT SCX10..... Maybe djjiz Minnesota 15 06-14-2014 07:52 PM
scx10 deadbolt wheelbase? ima_redneck Axial SCX-10 4 05-15-2014 04:50 PM
SCX10 Deadbolt RTR mr lee Axial SCX-10 42 05-11-2014 08:27 AM
decision.....another scx10 or get a deadbolt? dwblue00 Axial AX10 2nd-gen 21 01-02-2014 10:30 PM