RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial SCX-10 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/)
-   -   Dual brushed motor setup pros and cons (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/498011-dual-brushed-motor-setup-pros-cons.html)

JDIRCC 06-09-2014 08:55 PM

Dual brushed motor setup pros and cons

So I've seen the plate and seen a few people suggest it but i haven't read up on someone doing it on a crawler. Which i know i can probably search for a while and find it, but i was wondering what the pros and cons of it are. And how you set it up? Do you have to run dual esc's or can you in a way bridge/split them between the one esc. So lemme know kinda curious about this. may have to try this setup in my current scx project

Szczerba 06-09-2014 09:05 PM

Re: Dual brushed motor setup pros and cons

Cons: more money for the dual motor plate, motor money for a second motor, more money for a second esc or dual motor esc, more weight on truck up high

Pro: check out my truck, it has one unnecessary motor but it kinda looks cool

Hulldiver 06-10-2014 09:45 PM

Boom

Adam Kim 06-10-2014 09:54 PM

Cons : more weigh, money n time spent, also it's good enough to just run w A motor unless u thinkin abt 6 wheels
It might look like it's sth but not as "sth" as it is..

JDIRCC 06-11-2014 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Szczerba (Post 4801547)
Cons: more money for the dual motor plate, motor money for a second motor, more money for a second esc or dual motor esc, more weight on truck up high

Pro: check out my truck, it has one unnecessary motor but it kinda looks cool

Yep ya said enough for me. Looks cool but i sure don't need it lol. Guess its time for another HH brushed setup or maybe brushless:x. These decisions always suck.

Johnnysplits 06-14-2014 10:01 AM

I run dual 35T Integy lathe motors off a single HH brxl wp esc using two 2600mah 4s lipo's. All steel gears in the trans. 93t spur, 14t pinions. 38/13 in front diff, 43/13 in rear. It will crawl dead slow and full throttle is at jogging speed. After 2 to 2 1/2 hours of hard trailing, motors are just above ambient temp, batteries are at ambient temp and still have 65% capacity left.

JDIRCC 06-15-2014 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnnysplits (Post 4805613)
I run dual 35T Integy lathe motors off a single HH brxl wp esc using two 2600mah 4s lipo's. All steel gears in the trans. 93t spur, 14t pinions. 38/13 in front diff, 43/13 in rear. It will crawl dead slow and full throttle is at jogging speed. After 2 to 2 1/2 hours of hard trailing, motors are just above ambient temp, batteries are at ambient temp and still have 65% capacity left.

Nice. You can run dual motors of thw HH esc without any setup? Or do to program on your pc?

Johnnysplits 06-15-2014 06:23 AM

The only parameters I adjusted on the esc were the drag brake % and lvc. that's it. I have a Y harness connecting the two motors to the esc, and another Y harness connecting the two batteries to the esc. Mad torque!! I also run 48P gears too, not 32P as a lot of people have a hard on for.

Meatwad 06-15-2014 02:26 PM

One good motor is a better option for a few reasons than two inferior ones. Money would be better spent on drivetrain reliability.

Johnnysplits 06-15-2014 02:45 PM

Inferior? Suuuure

Meatwad 06-15-2014 03:15 PM

Inferior isn't a horrible thing, I've in the past and currently run integy lathe motors. It's no secret though that handwounds and sensored brushless have alot more torque/efficiency for the weight. Not to mention high weight as well as less interior room that the usual dual mounts offer.

Johnnysplits 06-15-2014 07:58 PM

A handwound is absolutely better. But I'm not gonna run $100 + motors in mud, sand, and murky water. And I'm working on designing my own dual motor bracket to keep both motors low on the chassis, even though I have no real issues with being top heavy considering both batteries are mounted on the sliders.