Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX10 JK Suspension travel (VP Currie axles and panhard)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2014, 03:46 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default SCX10 JK Suspension travel (VP Currie axles and panhard)

This will probably sound like a noob question..... Ok, it is a noob question. This is my first SCX10, so I'm learning as I go.
Here's what my SCX10 consists of before we start with my issue(s). SCX10 JK kit with Currie axles, VP bumper mount CMS, VP panhard with VP Currie 3-link in the front. I have all of the correct links, tie rod and drag links needed for the Currie axles. VP 8 degree knuckles and C-hubs, along with Pro-Line Scaler shocks front and rear - running the single long spring on all 4 shocks, plus the shorter rod ends on the shocks. I'm running 1.9 Pit Bull Mad Beasts. I have the Jevne Brick plate so my battery is mounted behind the front axle. All of my electronics are in the rear.

Is it normal to only have a tiny bit of overall suspension down travel in the front? What I mean is, when my JK is at static ride height and I push down on the front bumper or front body posts, I'm only getting about 1/4" of down travel. The articulation is pretty good - side to side up travel on my axle. I get a little less than my tire height in the front. I have lowered the ride height to keep COG low on it. I know that as soon as I hit a small obstacle with both front tires, the suspension will bottom out in a sense.

The problem is, my panhard bar is hitting the top of the pumpkin on my Currie axles. The VP Currie panhard bar has a bend to it. VP's directions say to mount the panhard bar so the bend can't be seen if you look at the front of truck. I have the panhard bar installed correctly per VP's instructions.

I guess that I'm not quite sure if the overall down travel (if I push down on the front of the Jeep) is supposed to be that little. I can adjust the ride height adjuster nuts on the shocks to raise the static ride height, and it will give me more overall down travel. But, I sacrifice my lower COG for this. Is this a battle that will require a happy medium?

I hope my explanation and issue makes sense. I would appreciate any input on this.

Thank you!
2-shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2014, 03:58 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: SCX10 JK Suspension travel (VP Currie axles and panhard)

In a nutshell, yes it's normal to not have a ton of compression on the front. My JK is the same, the steering servo horn hits the pumpkin, but I get full flex left and right so I haven't worried about it.

If you went with the other VP CMS (not the bumper mount) it will give you more clearance and better compression.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:00 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin View Post
In a nutshell, yes it's normal to not have a ton of compression on the front. My JK is the same, the steering servo horn hits the pumpkin, but I get full flex left and right so I haven't worried about it.

If you went with the other VP CMS (not the bumper mount) it will give you more clearance and better compression.

Would I need the other VP CMS and panhard, or just the CMS?

Sent from my modded TI-83 plus.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:17 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-shot View Post
Would I need the other VP CMS and panhard, or just the CMS?

The chassis mount gives more clearance for vertical compression than the bumper mount does. I think the pan hard is the same, but I could be wrong.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:59 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Ok....
Now that you mention it, I think the panhard mounts are the same. That's what is limiting me. I shortened my servo arm, so it doesn't hit anything. I ended up drilling and tapping a hole further in towards the center of my servo arm, then cut off the excess and cleaned it up. It doesn't look too bad...
The Scale Shop has a new SCXHR chassis rails. They arch up 1/2" higher at the front and rear - where the shock hoops are located. It's supposed to help with the travel issue.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:26 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The Scale Shop has a new SCXHR chassis rails. They arch up 1/2" higher at the front and rear - where the shock hoops are located. It's supposed to help with the travel issue.

Indeed.

Szczerba's #3744 Jeepspeed Cherokee
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:34 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post

Very nice!!! That would solve my issue!!! You have all kinds of clearance between the panhard bar and the pumpkin on the Currie...

Old 06-20-2014, 10:40 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Very nice!!! That would solve my issue!!! You have all kinds of clearance between the panhard bar and the pumpkin on the Currie...

Just take in mind the other areas of fitment with a different chassis. Ie, body clearances, etc. Cory at TSS has made a few changes to the chassis I have. I think I listed them in a previous post in my build thread.

Also, I think I can flip my panhard bar around and get a touch more clearance on the upper 4link rod end. The panhard has the bend towards one end and I think by flipping it around it will free up a few more mm's of uptravel, like I need it! lol

Last edited by Szczerba; 06-20-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:20 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Default SCX10 JK Suspension travel (VP Currie axles and panhard)

Yeah, that's my only concern. I have a Radio Shack project box mounted in the rear that houses my esc, rx, and BEC. I would be cutting it close with the project box hitting the underside of my body. I'm trying to figure out how I can shave some height off the project box. That's the only thing stopping me from get those rails from Cory...

SCX10 JK Suspension travel (VP Currie axles and panhard) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VP Panhard bracket for Currie axles 2-shot Axial SCX-10 1 05-01-2014 08:48 AM
VP Currie axles or GCM Metalhead axles for scx10 Swamp Dowg Axial SCX-10 8 03-31-2013 11:03 AM