Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: best budget upgrades for g6 kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2014, 05:02 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default best budget upgrades for g6 kit?

Hey guys. I am putting together an order for a g6 kit right now. I have some money left in the budget for a few minor upgrades. I want to focus on performance first. Are their any crucial upgrades I should make that won't break the bank?

Also, I'm not feeling the wheels that come with the g6. What are some budget options for wheels? Thanks a bunch. I really appreciate the help, and I can't wait to build my first scale rig!

Last edited by 1967Typhoon; 06-21-2014 at 05:30 PM.
1967Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2014, 06:21 PM   #2
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: best budget upgrades for g6 kit?

Awesome. That is the one axial jeep that has my interest.

Out of the box I would get steel transmission gears and aluminum knuckles and fine 3mm thread bolts for the chubs/knuckles/lockouts and then just run it.

The axial plastic bead locks are great budget wheels. I have several sets and have used them for years.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:00 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Great! I will look into the aluminum knuckles. The steel gear set seems a bit our of my range for now. Are the Hot Racing knuckles any good?

Anything in the steering linkage I should look at upgrading?
Old 06-21-2014, 07:00 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Steel gears for the transmission for sure. Totally totally worth it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Robinson-Rac...item1e8a0b3123 $15

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Robinson-Rac...item19eaf0db03 $12.49

Iv'e never has any issues with my plastic knuckles on my SCX10 or Wraith. I would buy as I break if money was an issue.

Since its a kit you'll be adding your own
radio, receiver, servo, ESC, motor...
So post up what you've got ordered and we can critique it

Last edited by robertjpjr; 06-21-2014 at 07:13 PM.
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Typhoon View Post
Great! I will look into the aluminum knuckles. The steel gear set seems a bit our of my range for now. Are the Hot Racing knuckles any good?

Anything in the steering linkage I should look at upgrading?
I'm a big fan of the Hot Racing steel tranny gears. All 3 for $28. I put them in brand new trucks before I even run them now. The plastic gears will last a while depending on the power you run, weight of the truck, and how hard you drive it.. I just like to put the tranny together right the first time and never worry about it again.

I've got a couple pairs of Hot Racing knuckles and haven't had any problems with them.

If the kit has aluminum steering links you'll be all set. Someone that has one will have to chime in on that one.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:36 PM   #6
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjpjr View Post

Iv'e never has any issues with my plastic knuckles on my SCX10 or Wraith.
With solid steering links and any decent servo the plastic knuckles are a known weak spot, and I mean REALLY weak. When in any kind of a bind you can see the little arm twist severely. Eventually (or very soon depending on your luck) they like to snap.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:40 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Thought the same thing. Haven't had a problem yet.
Solar d772 servo and metal links all around.
Wraith took 75 foot tumble down a mountain still driving with no breaks.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:36 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

One piece of advise,when you buy upgrades save the money for the best quality upgrades.If you spend money on lesser quality upgrades you may just be wasting your money and have to buy twice. I have been in the rc hobby for over 25+ years and worked in many different hobby shops. Buy quality and buy once,it saves you money in the long run. My suggestion is replace what breaks but buy quality. I myself build from the ground up with the best, it takes time and a lot of money but when it hits the ground it is bomb proof. I don't reccomend this path for every one,but if you are in it for life,it makes life much easier. For more detailed questions,just pm me and I will set you on the right path.
THUNDER PRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:41 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

This^^
Old 06-21-2014, 08:51 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjpjr View Post
Since its a kit you'll be adding your own
radio, receiver, servo, ESC, motor...
So post up what you've got ordered and we can critique it
I found a deal on RCtech and got the Axial AE-2 and an Axial 27T for $40.
For radio I can either use my FS-GT3B or my Kyosho KT-201. If I get really into it I will spring for an Airtronics RX for it. As far as servo goes, I have this guy here which has around 140oz/in of torque and is water resistant. For battery I will use either a full stick pack Gens Ace or a Shorty pack lipo.

I plan on waterproofing everything and I am going to try to mod in a wraith interior. The color will be gun metal with some metallic blue and pearl white accents.

Thanks for all the help, guys. I think I am going to go for the steel trans gears for now as it seems like a core issue that I can fix early. I might just replace as I break from there. I am primarily into RC Racing, but I have to say I am getting a bit too geeked out to get this build under way. I always wanted to do a scaler, but money seemed to get funneled into racing. Now that I have everything I need for that, a scaler sounded like a refreshing change of pace.

Last edited by 1967Typhoon; 06-21-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:07 AM   #11
Jus
I wanna be Dave

That is a sound plan.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:41 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
I'm a big fan of the Hot Racing steel tranny gears. All 3 for $28. I put them in brand new trucks before I even run them now. The plastic gears will last a while depending on the power you run, weight of the truck, and how hard you drive it.. I just like to put the tranny together right the first time and never worry about it again.

I've got a couple pairs of Hot Racing knuckles and haven't had any problems with them.

If the kit has aluminum steering links you'll be all set. Someone that has one will have to chime in on that one.
Do you have a part number on the hot racing transmission gear set? I am finding aluminum but not steel anywhere.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:27 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

A set of budget alloy wheels and using the stock tyres will be great. Weighted alloy wheels improved tipping over a lot! Or you can strap some weight on the stock wheels, it really helps
ricksonchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:26 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Chubs, Knuckles, VVDs or universals and tie rod/drag link setup. That is the first thing I'd recommend doing.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I have knuckles on the way, still looking into c-hubs and steel trans gears. The Robinson gears are too pricey for me, and the Hot Racing steel gears are all out of stock from what I can tell.

Are the hot racing aluminum gears sturdy enough? The farthest I would go with this truck is a single brushed motor. I want to keep it waterproof.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:50 AM   #16
RCC Addict

You'll want to get rid of the dog bones in the front if you haven't, along with knuckles and hubs together to get better steering.

I'm still running stock gears in my brushless SCX10's and my Wraith, I use the slipper clutch and my brain whilst driving.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:16 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Fair enough! I have knuckles and hubs on the way, I will look into VVD's for the front instead of trans gears for now! Thanks!

EDIT - Anybody have any input on these? They look pretty good for the price. The next cheapest set I found was $50 and those ship from china.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-CV...item35d85972ff

DOUBLE EDIT - NEVERMIND! Found the Axial Universals for about the same price.

Last edited by 1967Typhoon; 06-23-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:59 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Awesome. That is the one axial jeep that has my interest.

Out of the box I would get steel transmission gears and aluminum knuckles and fine 3mm thread bolts for the chubs/knuckles/lockouts and then just run it.

The axial plastic bead locks are great budget wheels. I have several sets and have used them for years.
Yes.

Quote:

Yes, Hot Racing steel gears are the best. The lightweight steel set is even nicer, but not necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Typhoon View Post
Fair enough! I have knuckles and hubs on the way, I will look into VVD's for the front instead of trans gears for now! Thanks!

EDIT - Anybody have any input on these? They look pretty good for the price. The next cheapest set I found was $50 and those ship from china.
Universal CVD Set for Axial Scorpion AX10 SCX10 2 AX30464 | eBay

DOUBLE EDIT - NEVERMIND! Found the Axial Universals for about the same price.
Axial CVDs are the best ime for the SCX platform, everything else is either inferior and/or more money.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

best budget upgrades for g6 kit? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice requested planning a budget SCX10 jeep kit build theTman Axial SCX-10 41 11-21-2014 01:14 PM
My First All Black Jeep Rubicon Kit Finished **Budget Build** daltrey Axial SCX-10 21 12-11-2013 05:10 PM
new Rubicon unlimited kit budget build ?s bigred22 Axial SCX-10 16 03-06-2013 12:23 PM
Electronics to put in a kit on a budget peterk Axial Wraith 7 05-12-2012 01:51 AM
xr10 budget kit from jpcustomrcs? dynamaxxed Axial XR10 4 11-29-2010 07:20 PM