Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Steel gears and Alloy case upgrade.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2014, 07:36 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Steel gears and Alloy case upgrade.

The Chevy carries quite a lot and I some how managed to strip the plastic gears. I can only think the tranny case may have flexed? So I have bought the Jazrider steel gear set and 3 racing alloy case. Hopefully this will be bomb proof. All the parts look well made. We'll see when I build it tonight!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2014, 07:38 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Pics...

Old 06-23-2014, 01:26 PM   #3
RCC Addict

HULK!!!!!!!

Installed. Went together well. I'd have liked the teeth on the gear with the output shafts to have meshed a little better. Seems like the teeth are too flat. I also used the steel spur. I was expecting a right racket with all that steel but with the spur gear cover it all sounds quite nice and realistic! Slipper adjusted so it will do its job hopefully.

Have to see how it lasts on the trail now. I can see a flash of the Hulk under the cab from one side! Also adds a bit more weight...

Old 06-23-2014, 02:20 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Steel gears and Alloy case upgrade.

Thanks for sharing! Love your Chevy. Looks great.

Where did you buy the steel trans set from?
1967Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:22 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Thanks. They are on eBay from a seller called Jazrider.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:24 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Jazhobby sorry...

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...842752&alt=web

Old 06-23-2014, 05:44 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Typhoon View Post
Thanks for sharing! Love your Chevy. Looks great.

Where did you buy the steel trans set from?

The drive gear is already steel. The only two gears that need to be upgraded are the idler and differential. My LHS sold me the Robinson Racing gears and they meshed quite well. Used the stock output shafts on the diff. gear, however you can also buy one that is solid where the output shafts are part of the differential.

Idler:

Robinson Racing Hard Steel Idler Gear AX10/SCX10

Differential:

Robinson Racing Hardened Aluminum Differential Gear (AX10) [RRP1540] | RC Cars & Trucks - A Main Hobbies

Differential w/ outdrive:

Robinson Racing Outdrive Diff Lock Gear AX10/SCX10

The differential says for AX10 but it works for both.
DowntownScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:06 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownScience View Post
The drive gear is already steel. The only two gears that need to be upgraded are the idler and differential. My LHS sold me the Robinson Racing gears and they meshed quite well. Used the stock output shafts on the diff. gear, however you can also buy one that is solid where the output shafts are part of the differential.

Idler:

Robinson Racing Hard Steel Idler Gear AX10/SCX10

Differential:

Robinson Racing Hardened Aluminum Differential Gear (AX10) [RRP1540] | RC Cars & Trucks - A Main Hobbies

Differential w/ outdrive:

Robinson Racing Outdrive Diff Lock Gear AX10/SCX10

The differential says for AX10 but it works for both.
In my experience Robinson Racing transmission gears for the SCX are not up to snuff, they don't center on the bottom three 2mm screws well at all and their stuff is either overly heavy (steel), or aluminum and over priced. The RRP steel one piece bottom gear has a history of twisting the ends off where the driveshafts attach. Hot Racing steel or lightweight steel tranny gears are the best fit and finish of all for the least money too.

Regular steel set (out of stock atm): Hot Racing Axial SCX10 AX10 Wraith hard steel center gears set

Lightweight set (one in stock atm): Super Duty Light Weight Steel Gear Set - Super Shafty

LIghtweight set (doesn't show stock level) https://www.ckrccrawlers.com/product...+Gear+Set+ax10

Last edited by Natedog; 06-24-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:57 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

My RRP gears fit fine and I have probably 50 5000mah 2S packs through em...inspected them twice and look great!
I run the one piece diff gear..

Sent from a whiskey downer beer pounder's shop
Undefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:19 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
In my experience Robinson Racing transmission gears for the SCX are not up to snuff, they don't center on the bottom three 2mm screws well at all and their stuff is either overly heavy (steel), or aluminum and over priced. The RRP steel one piece bottom gear has a history of twisting the ends off where the driveshafts attach. Hot Racing steel or lightweight steel tranny gears are the best fit and finish of all for the least money too.

Regular steel set (out of stock atm): Hot Racing Axial SCX10 AX10 Wraith hard steel center gears set

Lightweight set (one in stock atm): Super Duty Light Weight Steel Gear Set - Super Shafty

LIghtweight set (doesn't show stock level) https://www.ckrccrawlers.com/product...+Gear+Set+ax10
Funny you say that because right after I replied to this thread I read your thread about upgrading your gearbox to HR steel.

I like the HR stuff a lot. Probably the one company that makes high grade parts at a very low price. I run the solid locker front/rear and my gearbox is HR. Black w/ green accents! Very nice.

Bruce of BPC gave me these so I didn't argue! You're right about the differential gear though. Bruce warned me about that ahead of time so I knew what to expect. I got it centered up pretty well and haven't had any issues with it. The differential gear is for an AX10. Do you know if the AX10 uses a larger diameter differential insert than the SCX10? Is that the reason for the ill fit?

I put the HR gearbox in just before Axialfest because the stock one had a couple of stripped holes where it mounted to the chassis. After the first day it developed a strange clicking noise, but there was no degradation in performance. I pulled it apart today and didn't find anything wrong. I was expecting to see a destroyed bearing because that's kinda what it was sounding like.

Seems that if you just barely over tighten the screws on the aluminum gearbox you'll get some fairly heavy binding since there is now very little flex. Everything is smooth now, no clicking and ultimately I only adjusted the tension of the screws on the gearbox.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:24 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0wiz0o View Post
The Chevy carries quite a lot and I some how managed to strip the plastic gears. I can only think the tranny case may have flexed? So I have bought the Jazrider steel gear set and 3 racing alloy case. Hopefully this will be bomb proof. All the parts look well made. We'll see when I build it tonight!

Is that a Clod body? Looks great with the wheel/tire combo. Just picked up a set of the M/T Baja Claws myself. Haven't been on a trail with them yet, but they look pretty bad a$$.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:15 AM   #12
RCC Addict

It is. I'm impressed with the Claws. A good all round tire. They are firm and so the side walls don't cave in constantly when turning.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:25 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Done a few runs now and all is well. Very pleased so far especially for the cost.

Steel gears and Alloy case upgrade. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
metal gears or alloy knuckles/castor blocks? which upgrade first? jebster Vaterra Twin Hammers 9 10-17-2013 12:31 PM
part #33, output joint, alloy upgrade? STANG KILLA SS Duratrax Cliff Climber 14 11-11-2008 08:02 AM