Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: problems with motors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2014, 03:26 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default problems with motors

So yesterday I burnt my 2nd motor in a little underr 2 months. So my question is am I undergeared? I'm running 9/56 for gearing on a 3200mah 2s lipo. the motors were intigy 35t lathe motors. and I was just driving around the yard climbing some small rock piles. My esc temp was around 100 f and the motor was around 190 after about 5 mins of cooling down.
So I bought a tekin 35t and I just don't want to burn that one up .
any help will be much appreciated
ptaryan654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2014, 04:21 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: problems with motors

IF you find yourself full throttle and wishing for more speed, yes. That is a little low geared. I run 14/56 +/- a tooth or two.
Motor temps shouldn't get to 190 really. Some can handle it, for a while. Others go nuclear..
A tekin 35t Should handle the 14/56 or similar gearing just fine. If you burn that up, go brushless! J/K... sort of
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:36 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Shouldn't run it up more than 160* constant...the magnets will start to demagnetize themselves and power will go away. I'm surprised that you burned up that motor. I have the same motor in my scx10 (actually run a pair of them) and run them on 4s with no heat issues whatsoever. It's on 48p gears...14/90
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:38 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

9/56 on 2s is way too low unless you run it like a comp rig. I tried 9/56 in a tf2 on 3s and even high gear was stupid slow
nharkey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:02 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I don't see your gear ratio as being of issue...

Tho' the Integy motors might be under par
like many other products they sell.
^ guess I'm not a fan

Is it possible you are running the spur/pinion gear mesh too tight ?
Possibly a frozen drive bearing somewhere in the drive train ?

I'm thinking something in your drive train is binding
and any resistance there... would put more stress on the motor.
Added friction to the drive train will cause the motor to work harder
thus producing more heat.
and ultimately... a possible failure.

When you disengage the spur/pinion...
Does the drive train roll freely and easily ?
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:25 PM   #6

I'm running an 85t integy lathe motor while I wait for my tekin setup. Other than being stupid slow plenty of torque and u can throw any gearing u want at it no temp issues
slmvwtattoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:30 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Yes the drive train rolls smooth with the pinion out and i have the mesh set so i can wiggle the the spur back and forth quite a bit. I did run in a bit of water after break in and I clean and oiled the motor but didn't take it apart . When I took it apart yesterday one of the windings was black in color and now it takes only about 5 minutes and it's scorching hot . Will running full throttle for longer periods of time cause it to heat up more then say half throttle? because I did let the little nephew drive it for a while when I went to do some other stuff

Last edited by ptaryan654; 07-06-2014 at 05:34 PM.
ptaryan654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:43 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaryan654 View Post
Yes the drive train rolls smooth with the pinion out and i have the mesh set so i can wiggle the the spur back and forth quite a bit. I did run in a bit of water after break in and I clean and oiled the motor but didn't take it apart . When I took it apart yesterday one of the windings was black in color and now it takes only about 5 minutes and it's scorching hot . Will running full throttle for longer periods of time cause it to heat up more then say half throttle? because I did let the little nephew drive it for a while when I went to do some other stuff
I've blown up two integy 35t motors in the last week. Both running 17/87. Today I was running at 235 degrees according to temp gun.

Bottom line.....theyre junk!
jtessmer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:14 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtessmer88 View Post
that'd be my guess as well
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:36 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Funny I have been running integy motors in a couple of rigs for literally years, done nothing to them except replace brushes. Both 55t and 35t.
Recommend both Tekin, and Holmes Hobbies motors if you want good quality. Prepare to pay a bit more. If you are running in really dirty conditions, use the cheap integys.
lonleycreeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:43 AM   #11
RCC Addict

I ran 56/9 on my scx with an RC4WD 45 for a year. crawled like a mofo. of course we have lots of ultra technical crawling here so it worked really well
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:28 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjpjr View Post
IF you find yourself full throttle and wishing for more speed, yes. That is a little low geared. I run 14/56 +/- a tooth or two.
Motor temps shouldn't get to 190 really. Some can handle it, for a while. Others go nuclear..
A tekin 35t Should handle the 14/56 or similar gearing just fine. If you burn that up, go brushless! J/K... sort of
Yes on 2s or 3s should be fine, I run 13/56 32 pitch.

Quote:
I've blown up two integy 35t motors in the last week. Both running 17/87. Today I was running at 235 degrees according to temp gun.

I have a 45T that is like 7 years old and finally time to rebuild if it has enough comm material left, the Integy lathe motors had been one of the decent parts they sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
Funny I have been running integy motors in a couple of rigs for literally years, done nothing to them except replace brushes. Both 55t and 35t.
Recommend both Tekin, and Holmes Hobbies motors if you want good quality. Prepare to pay a bit more...
Integy lathe motors had been one of the decent parts they sold. Maybe now they are not, OP burnt two of them up geared ok, nothing binding in drivetrain and I've read several other people having burnt them up lately too. For cheap motor the Traxxas 21T Titan 550 is great on 3s. For good brushed crawler motor then step up to Brood or HH 35T, 45T etc.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:26 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I'm running the same setup except gearing (14/90) on 4s with no problems...and I beat on it!!
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote

problems with motors - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just went out to the track for the FIRST TIME. Problems Problems Problems flyingrc Non Crawler RC's 4 07-23-2012 10:19 PM
Speed/Torque difference between Crawler motors/Normal motors? dynamic_e Electronics 5 10-08-2010 10:26 AM
Problems problems problems hope it's worth it in the end TJcreeperJEEP Venom Creeper 9 12-22-2009 04:54 PM