Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Connect BEC to balance plug?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2014, 07:38 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Connect BEC to balance plug?

Hey guys. I am starting to think about electronics layout in my G6. I was wondering what you guys thought about the idea of me connecting my Castle BEC via a female JST-XH connector directly to the lipos balance connector. This way I have a separate line that goes to my waterproof box. Do you think that connector has enough current potential to power my BEC?

Thanks!
1967Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2014, 07:50 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Connect BEC to balance plug?

im gonna say it wont work. i could be wrong, but the reason for a balance plug is to isolate the individual cells to charge them independently of each other. so by using the balance plug, only two of the wires are needed for your BEC so id imagine you would only be using a single cell to power it, which isnt enough voltage.

im not sure its wise to link the cells at both ends. but im not certain how it would affect anything, if it did, by linking them at the balance plug.
klampykixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:00 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by klampykixx View Post
im gonna say it wont work. i could be wrong, but the reason for a balance plug is to isolate the individual cells to charge them independently of each other. so by using the balance plug, only two of the wires are needed for your BEC so id imagine you would only be using a single cell to power it, which isnt enough voltage.

im not sure its wise to link the cells at both ends. but im not certain how it would affect anything, if it did, by linking them at the balance plug.
The outside pins are 11.1V positive and negative.

http://www.ee.nmt.edu/~furrball/temp...am-3s_lipo.png

I'm wondering if the draw would be too much for the connector.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:01 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Make a Y plug for the battery. XT60 plugs are pretty waterproof...I've submerged them. Don't tap into the balance plug.
MountainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:03 AM   #5
RCC Addict

cool. i just learned something, i didnt know thats how 3s was wired, only ever played with 2s.

as for the current draw, ive run 2s lipo at 20c on a red JST connected ESC with a 540 size motor with no issue so im sure you wont have any current limitations on a normal BEC with the balance plug
Old 07-14-2014, 08:04 AM   #6
RCC Addict

im agreeing with MountainStorm tho, link your BEC off the main connector just to be safe.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #7
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

You would be fine, the pins will take 5a without much problem. If you are going through the trouble of using the balance tap, why not just tap two cells and get rid of the BEC altogether
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:42 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
You would be fine, the pins will take 5a without much problem. If you are going through the trouble of using the balance tap, why not just tap two cells and get rid of the BEC altogether
I would need a HV servo for that. I also have a Bluetooth speaker setup that needs 6V. I also wouldn't like having the first 2 cells loaded heavier than the 3rd.

I think the beauty of me using the balance connector is I wouldn't have to tap anything. I can just buy a $3 balance extension and modify it for use. I don't have to make any Y connectors. I wouldn't have to tap into the ESC or battery wires to hook up my BEC. I could just connect the deans connector to the ESC, and the balance connector to the BEC. To me it seems more simple and clean. Plus, then you don't have the balance connector flopping around or getting pinched anywhere. Also, if I decided to move electronics around, I would have more flexibility in placement since they would have separate sources.

I think I will try it and monitor the temps of the connector. I will show you guys the finished product later this summer.

Last edited by 1967Typhoon; 07-14-2014 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:10 AM   #9
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I just about did the same thing this weekend with a balance tap feeding the BEC, but ended up moving the BEC to the other side of the rig and just hard soldered it into the ESC power.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I just about did the same thing this weekend with a balance tap feeding the BEC, but ended up moving the BEC to the other side of the rig and just hard soldered it into the ESC power.
I still may end up doing this, as adding another connector is another potential point of failure. I just thought it was something worth experimenting with.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:44 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I do this straight off the esc but use a Dean's Micro plug with the one pin exposed (ground lol) to keep me from plugging in my bec backwards.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:39 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

I simply solder it up to the ESC and then run a servo extension from the esc to the receiver with the red (positive) wire cut and then I simply plug the BEC straight into the Batt. Channel on the receiver..that simple. If I ever need an EMERGENCY disconnect then I'll use the old scissors and cut the BEC wires haha that's how I do it.
axial 4x4 crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:06 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Cool ideas. All balance connectors aren't created equally though right? Different pin configurations for different manufacturers? Might limit you? Seems the bec plug would get worn out after many battery changes.
DowntownScience is offline   Reply With Quote

Connect BEC to balance plug? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LOSI 3s Balance plug wally101 Electronics 0 04-18-2011 02:13 PM
Balance plug confusion neiloid1 Electronics 2 12-08-2010 06:46 PM
Lipo balance plug help terrible Electronics 1 05-09-2010 05:50 AM
Balance Plug Question. Blood_Clod Electronics 3 05-03-2010 10:52 AM