Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

View Poll Results: Which one is better?
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 14 56.00%
Jeep Wrangler G6 11 44.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon or G6?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2014, 09:01 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon or G6?

About to buy a new kit, can't decide which one too buy...

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Or

Jeep Wrangler G6

What's your thoughts guys?
Louisbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2014, 09:14 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon or G6?

They are both bad ass, I have one of each and run both about the same. .only difference is 12.3 & 12 in wheels bases and the body. All depends on what body you like better
SkyJacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:47 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I'm doing an extreme build with the Falken RTR edition, I have about 2,100 into it!!..so that should answer your question.
axial 4x4 crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:27 AM   #4

I'm not a vet by any means on here, but I think I depends on what your taste is. I had the G6 body, but to me it didn't look as scale as the Jeep Rubicon. I could clearly see the lexan body (Fenders and no rear bumper) which kills the scale look IMO. I actually threw my G6 body away and got a new Jeep Rubicon (w/Hardtop). Also I didn't change any links out and the Jeep Rubicon fit well as it's only a .3" difference, so it's easy to switch to the other if you wanted to. Performance is the same as you probably already know. I think for the price you get more value out of the Jeep Rubicon (Fender flares, rear bumper, extra tire and/or lights of you get the C/R edition) for only $50 more, but if your about to drops load of money in it just peice it together through ebay, RPP, etc and buy the upgrades you want/need (Saves a lot of money in the long run then buying stuff twice). Either way good luck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by axial 4x4 crawler View Post
I'm doing an extreme build with the Falken RTR edition, I have about 2,100 into it!!..so that should answer your question.
If you got $2,100 into your rig, why did you start with a RTR? I'm sure you replaced the entire drivetrain, electronics, etc anyway. Wouldn't it be easier to just buy the chassis and other parts seperate? Buy it once and bulit it once the right way. Your going to buy the RTR just to tear it down and rebuild it. I bought my G6 brand new (Guy built it, but never ran) with:

Tekin FSR w/35T motor
Savox 0220MG servo
Spektrum DX3S
Venom 2C 5000 40C
Onxy 235 Charger

All that for $380..

Last edited by Watsonst04; 07-15-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Watsonst04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:03 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I'll be honest, I'm leaning towards the Rubicon, more for scale appearance than anything else. But then again, I'm thinking of getting the G6 and the Axial parts tree AX80121 and AX80122, which is the plastic fenders for the Rubicon and fitting them to the G6. But like I said, I'm torn between the two kits. G6 is cheaper, but are the kits the same apart from the bodies?
Old 07-15-2014, 12:42 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Had the same predicament a couple months ago. I went with the Rubicon kit over the G6 because of the wheelbase. The Rubicon kit comes with the rear spare tire and carrier as well as the body with the scale fenders plus it has the different rear chassis "plugs". Then I bought the Falken G6 body. The way the wheel wells are cut in the G6, you can use the longer wheelbase and it doesn't look odd.
stonecold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:47 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsonst04 View Post
I'm not a vet by any means on here, but I think I depends on what your taste is. I had the G6 body, but to me it didn't look as scale as the Jeep Rubicon. I could clearly see the lexan body (Fenders and no rear bumper) which kills the scale look IMO. I actually threw my G6 body away and got a new Jeep Rubicon (w/Hardtop). Also I didn't change any links out and the Jeep Rubicon fit well as it's only a .3" difference, so it's easy to switch to the other if you wanted to. Performance is the same as you probably already know. I think for the price you get more value out of the Jeep Rubicon (Fender flares, rear bumper, extra tire and/or lights of you get the C/R edition) for only $50 more, but if your about to drops load of money in it just peice it together through ebay, RPP, etc and buy the upgrades you want/need (Saves a lot of money in the long run then buying stuff twice). Either way good luck!!

If you got $2,100 into your rig, why did you start with a RTR? I'm sure you replaced the entire drivetrain, electronics, etc anyway. Wouldn't it be easier to just buy the chassis and other parts seperate? Buy it once and bulit it once the right way. Your going to buy the RTR just to tear it down and rebuild it. I bought my G6 brand new (Guy built it, but never ran) with:

Tekin FSR w/35T motor
Savox 0220MG servo
Spektrum DX3S
Venom 2C 5000 40C
Onxy 235 Charger

All that for $380..
Uhh yeah I replaced the entire drive-line and all of the electronics..that stock ae-5 is a piece of crap and so is the stock motor. I can't exactly remember everything I bought for it but here's my upgrade list. Oh and I'm taking this to Axial Fest 2015 BTW Anyways, here ya go:
- VP Currie Front and Rear axles (Grey)
- VP 8 degree c-hubs, knuckles (Black)
- VP 10 pc link kit (For curries only)
- Axial H.D. Bevel gears (Front and back)
- Locked-up-rc F.I. locker spool (front and back)
- MIP steel driveshafts
- VP tranny housing (Black)
- R.R. solid outdrive gear and R.P. idler steel gear
- Fast Eddy bearing kit
- STRC Aluminum shock hoops-front & Back (Black)
- VP Beadlocks 1.9 full blacked out
- Futaba 4pls radio system
- Savox sa-1230sg (500oz at 6v)
- Axial simple LED system with 5-string and 2-string Led= 7 LEDS in total
- Gear Head 4.25 white/blue LED light bar
- CC BEC 10 amp
- Axial falken tires in r35 compound
- Axial universal axle shafts
- 475 Black hubs for Beadlocks...these will have a Badass look to them!
- Level 3racing 1/8 winch wired to receiver and use 3ch for control
- Junfac skid plate
- Holmes Hobby BRXL W.P. ESC
- Holmes Hobby Crawlmaster Pro 13t with 84/16 gearing (48p)
- Locked-up-rc slipper eliminator..100% power to the ground for sure!
- Turnigy 3s 5000mah 25c lipo
- STRC aluminum shock Bodies
- Misc wires and hardware as well
That's all I can think of for now, I'm sure there are a few things I left out. But anyways, I don't screw around with my builds and I'm very serious when it comes to these builds. I bought the rtr because I wanted the body that it has, money is not an issue this time. I will bring this to axial fest next year so that should answer you question...it's not gonna be a shelf-queen!

Last edited by axial 4x4 crawler; 07-15-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:49 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Oh and BTW spektrum radio systems are crap, why do you think I'm going with a futaba 4pls!? Well for that simple reason..and I'm sure you don't have a set of curries on there...I doubt it lol. The entire drive-train is bulletproof on my rig.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:29 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I went with the Rubicon. I liked the looks if it a little better than the G6. Both are sweet rigs! I don't think you'll go wrong with either one!

Sent from my modded TI-83 plus.
2-shot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:40 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Oh and BTW spektrum radio systems are crap, why do you think I'm going with a futaba 4pls!? Well for that simple reason..and I'm sure you don't have a set of curries on there...I doubt it lol. The entire drive-train is bulletproof on my rig.
Look, with all due respect, that's just your opinion. I've used a DX3S for more than 5 years now, and recently bought a DX3C for the programmable 3rd channel. I'm no expert, but there's nothing wrong with Spektrum radios. My dad uses the DX8i for his RC planes, also with no problems. But I understand if you had a bad experience with Spektrum.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:11 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisbaby View Post
Look, with all due respect, that's just your opinion. I've used a DX3S for more than 5 years now, and recently bought a DX3C for the programmable 3rd channel. I'm no expert, but there's nothing wrong with Spektrum radios. My dad uses the DX8i for his RC planes, also with no problems. But I understand if you had a bad experience with Spektrum.
Well good for you, at least you haven't had glitching problems with spektrum. The only reason why I'm a Futaba fan is because spektrum glitches really bad, the only spektrum system I have is from my vaterra glamis uno and it works okay but then again it's only a 2 channel radio. Sorry if I came off a little rude, I apologize for that
Old 07-16-2014, 08:36 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

i have both G6 and Rubicon editions...i find the G6 performs better only due to the body (no front and rear fenders) other than that they are both equal

you can see how far up that rear tire gets

pvo_srt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:40 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Well good for you, at least you haven't had glitching problems with spektrum. The only reason why I'm a Futaba fan is because spektrum glitches really bad, the only spektrum system I have is from my vaterra glamis uno and it works okay but then again it's only a 2 channel radio. Sorry if I came off a little rude, I apologize for that
Hey no offence taken dude. I'm happy with my Spektrum, if it glitches, it's gone. It's that simple for me. So I totally understand your problem. I like the Futaba radio, it's just nobody stocks it here in South Africa.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Uhh yeah I replaced the entire drive-line and all of the electronics..that stock ae-5 is a piece of crap and so is the stock motor. I can't exactly remember everything I bought for it but here's my upgrade list. Oh and I'm taking this to Axial Fest 2015 BTW Anyways, here ya go:
- VP Currie Front and Rear axles (Grey)
- VP 8 degree c-hubs, knuckles (Black)
- VP 10 pc link kit (For curries only)
- Axial H.D. Bevel gears (Front and back)
- Locked-up-rc F.I. locker spool (front and back)
- MIP steel driveshafts
- VP tranny housing (Black)
- R.R. solid outdrive gear and R.P. idler steel gear
- Fast Eddy bearing kit
- STRC Aluminum shock hoops-front & Back (Black)
- VP Beadlocks 1.9 full blacked out
- Futaba 4pls radio system
- Savox sa-1230sg (500oz at 6v)
- Axial simple LED system with 5-string and 2-string Led= 7 LEDS in total
- Gear Head 4.25 white/blue LED light bar
- CC BEC 10 amp
- Axial falken tires in r35 compound
- Axial universal axle shafts
- 475 Black hubs for Beadlocks...these will have a Badass look to them!
- Level 3racing 1/8 winch wired to receiver and use 3ch for control
- Junfac skid plate
- Holmes Hobby BRXL W.P. ESC
- Holmes Hobby Crawlmaster Pro 13t with 84/16 gearing (48p)
- Locked-up-rc slipper eliminator..100% power to the ground for sure!
- Turnigy 3s 5000mah 25c lipo
- STRC aluminum shock Bodies
- Misc wires and hardware as well
That's all I can think of for now, I'm sure there are a few things I left out. But anyways, I don't screw around with my builds and I'm very serious when it comes to these builds. I bought the rtr because I wanted the body that it has, money is not an issue this time. I will bring this to axial fest next year so that should answer you question...it's not gonna be a shelf-queen!
I wasn't trying to say your rig was crap, heck I would trade you in a second. All I was saying is I think you would have saved some money buying the kit and/or seperate parts vs starting the RTR version. FYI you can get the Falkin edition body on ebay seperate. You pointed out several reason why you shouldn't have bought the RTR (Radio, ESC, motor, etc is crap...in your mind). The Spektrum radio aren't that bad, plus it's what it came with it(Better then the RTR version right?). I put my Airtronics MT-4 (I'm use to it and wanted the 4th channel) on there and put the Spektrum on my basher Slash. Who cares who's balls are bigger, just go have fun!! Good luck at AxialFest, wish I was going...
Old 07-17-2014, 07:53 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I wasn't trying to say your rig was crap, heck I would trade you in a second. All I was saying is I think you would have saved some money buying the kit and/or seperate parts vs starting the RTR version. FYI you can get the Falkin edition body on ebay seperate. You pointed out several reason why you shouldn't have bought the RTR (Radio, ESC, motor, etc is crap...in your mind). The Spektrum radio aren't that bad, plus it's what it came with it(Better then the RTR version right?). I put my Airtronics MT-4 (I'm use to it and wanted the 4th channel) on there and put the Spektrum on my basher Slash. Who cares who's balls are bigger, just go have fun!! Good luck at AxialFest, wish I was going...

hey for what its worth i dont think you need to spend a ton of money on these things to be competitive.

my G6 rig has Axial AE2 and 20T motor and along with my Spektrum receiver works well and in most recent local comp's my truck has placed 1st in front of those rigs with $500 axles, $500 radios $400 esc etc etc etc
pvo_srt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvo_srt4 View Post
hey for what its worth i dont think you need to spend a ton of money on these things to be competitive.

my G6 rig has Axial AE2 and 20T motor and along with my Spektrum receiver works well and in most recent local comp's my truck has placed 1st in front of those rigs with $500 axles, $500 radios $400 esc etc etc etc

100% agree, but no matter what the sport/hobby is there is always people that think bigger, faster, etc is better. My rig does great for what I do and I only see me upgrading cosmetic stuff. I just got lucky and had a Tekin FSR w/motor from the start, but I know a deal like mine doesn't come offen.

LuisBaby...Have you made your choice yet??
Old 07-17-2014, 11:35 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
LuisBaby...Have you made your choice yet??
I think I'm going to go with the G6. Main reason is my other SCX10 is a scale Jeep, so with this one, the G6 will be perfect. Later I can buy a Rubicon body if I want to. Thanks everybody. As soon as I get the Kit, I'll start a new build thread.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:59 PM   #18

i love my g6 but you cant go wrong with any kit they are all solid
bmullyx is offline   Reply With Quote

2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon or G6? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NorCal's Axial SCX10 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Kit Build NorCal 2500HD Axial SCX-10 29 06-20-2014 09:59 AM
Gear Head RC/Rpp Hobby SCX10 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon RPP Hobby Axial SCX-10 56 07-15-2013 02:01 PM
Axial SCX10 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - AX90028 BENDER Axial SCX-10 379 07-02-2013 10:57 PM
Axial SCX10 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 1/10th SCALE ELECTRIC 4WD - RTR RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 32 01-19-2013 08:19 AM
SCX10™ 2012 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon HyperMark Axial SCX-10 0 10-30-2012 08:07 AM