RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial SCX-10 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/)
-   -   STRC rear lockouts fitment issue (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/501884-strc-rear-lockouts-fitment-issue.html)

1967Typhoon 07-15-2014 08:49 PM

STRC rear lockouts fitment issue

Hey guys. I know STRC stuff is questionable at times, with now being one of those times. :lmao:

I put the rear lockouts on my G6 and there is a good 1/4 inch of play in the rear axle output shafts. Am I missing something here? Looking inside the STRC lockouts, it almost looks like they will accept a bigger bearing further in.

Any ideas here?

rcwolf 07-16-2014 01:18 AM

Re: STRC rear lockouts fitment issue

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1967Typhoon (Post 4836287)
Hey guys. I know STRC stuff is questionable at times, with now being one of those times. :lmao:

I put the rear lockouts on my G6 and there is a good 1/4 inch of play in the rear axle output shafts. Am I missing something here? Looking inside the STRC lockouts, it almost looks like they will accept a bigger bearing further in.

Any ideas here?

I use strc rear lockouts and dont see how it would be possible for you to have any play. Could you be more specific, maybe some pics?

(I am using Strc axles but not sure how that would make a difference.)

rcwolf 07-16-2014 01:36 AM

wait.. where do you have your bearing? It is on the axle right behind where the hole for the pin is so it actually sits just inside the outer (narrow) end of the lock out right?

1967Typhoon 07-16-2014 06:52 AM

There is a gap between where the bearing sits and the end of the lockout. This allows the shaft to move in and out. I ended up finding 2 nylon washers the same diameter as the bearing and put them in between the bearing and the end of the lockout. This actually worked really well, but I don't feel I should have to dig through my hardware to make something like that work.

I poked around and found a couple of other people with the same issue.

doublej 07-16-2014 07:03 AM

Most axles could use shimming here and there. It's normal - bearings, shafts, gears all wear or have separate tolerances.
Get a shaft with tolerances to the far left and bearing to the far right along with not perfect lockouts - wiggle wiggle.

Postclanker 07-16-2014 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doublej (Post 4836544)
wiggle wiggle.

Shim shim

axial 4x4 crawler 07-16-2014 08:54 AM

That's weird cause I didn't have issue's mounting STRC lockouts on my jeep Unlimited. Maybe they were cut wrong from the factory, that's all I can think of but I'd doubt that cause STRC quality isn't that bad.

fishrocks17 07-08-2016 11:16 PM

i just installed some strc lockouts and have the same 1/4" of play. too late to find a fix tonight. going to tackle it in the morning.

BlownChevelle 08-28-2016 09:26 PM

Having the same issue myself, anyone figure out why?

seal20 08-28-2016 11:08 PM

Where do you shim? Having this issue myself, cost me and end link already.

1967Typhoon 08-29-2016 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seal20 (Post 5556147)
Where do you shim? Having this issue myself, cost me and end link already.

In the ends of the axle between the bearing and the end of the lockout. If you look, you can see the gap there. That gap needs to disappear with washers. But you cant just throw any washer in there, it needs to clear the center of the bearing, otherwise there will be binding.

I would post pics but I sold that rig long ago.

mikemcE 08-29-2016 07:52 AM

Covered in the yeti section, cut a shim from old axle and insert in between the shafts.... 3.5 to 4mm works well

HANG UP AND DRIVE !

FrancoSFL 09-08-2016 10:06 AM

Yup, sounds normal, I have a bit of play in one of my Vanquish lockouts, not that much tho. Shim that mofo

gonzo532 09-08-2016 08:25 PM

I just did rear lockouts and found the same problem. I went back to the shop and the guys gave me some mini washers to soak up the wiggle. They said its normal but doesn't change performance. wiggle-wiggle-wiggle gone....