Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Scx10 Transmission?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2014, 08:01 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Scx10 Transmission?

I've got a scx10 with 2.2 super swampers and a traxxas veloneon system in it. I have all steel trans gears and mip driveshafts. Just about every time I take it out I strip the screws out of the transmission case and it ends up flopping around in there. Thought about buying a aluminum trans case but Idk?? Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mudman02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2014, 08:04 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2014, 08:50 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Go to 1.9s and take out the vxl
Stangman92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:18 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Scx10 Transmission?

If you haven't already use FINE thread M3 screws. The coarse thread screws are junk. I've slowly switch all my kits over to these type totally, instead of the supplied mixed bag. If the transmission screw holes are totally gone, it doesn't matter anymore, just get a bigger screw and use that.
One of my transmission screw holes stripped out so I used a wood screw. M4 in size. Not pretty, but it works.
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:29 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Yes, switch to an alloy case will cure your problem. As long as your gear ratio is correct according to your motor, you will be fine
ricksonchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:42 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Either grab an aluminum case or use helicoils.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:27 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Helicoils are cool. Never knew about them.
Aluminum case is probably next on my list of buys too...
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:44 PM   #8

fine thread m3 screws FTW with locktite. aluminum case is extra weight up high.... = pass.
sotvotkong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:53 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Loctite does nothing for plastic, krazy glue works though. Agreed on the alum case though. The plastic case is plenty strong imo. I have eventually stripped out the bottom holes on most of my trans cases however
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:11 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Actually the aluminium alloy case is pretty light, only few grams heavier than the plastic. I couldn't tell the weight difference of the gear box assembly without using a scale. Of course that's another story if you use steel gears.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:20 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I just bought another plastic one the other day and if it ends up stripping I might go ahead and buy a aluminum case. Thanks!
Old 07-21-2014, 07:36 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

I suggest going with VPs aluminum case..there really light and they come with the screws that mount to the chassis and you won't strip those out just use blue lock tight. If you're using stock hardware then you will end up stripping that new plastic case out so you might as well consider VP very soon. Also, get something like 1.9 Mickey thompsons and ditch the VXL..they have no torque and there weak systems. Scx10's are tough but there not made for 2.2's and a crappy brushless system...
axial 4x4 crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:57 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

What motor and esc do you recommend that has plenty of wheel speed when I need it like for climbing hills and has low end power too
Old 07-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman02 View Post
What motor and esc do you recommend that has plenty of wheel speed when I need it like for climbing hills and has low end power too
I recommend a Holmes Hobby BR-XL with a CrawlMaster Pro 13t. They have insanely low end throttle and torque and enough wheel speed. Seriously get that setup with proper gearing and never look back. I'd say go with a 48p 84/15t gearing..but that's up to you and how you run it.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
Loctite does nothing for plastic, krazy glue works though. Agreed on the alum case though. The plastic case is plenty strong imo. I have eventually stripped out the bottom holes on most of my trans cases however
Quote:
Originally Posted by axial 4x4 crawler View Post
I suggest going with VPs aluminum case..there really light and they come with the screws that mount to the chassis and you won't strip those out just use blue lock tight. If you're using stock hardware then you will end up stripping that new plastic case out so you might as well consider VP very soon. Also, get something like 1.9 Mickey thompsons and ditch the VXL..they have no torque and there weak systems. Scx10's are tough but there not made for 2.2's and a crappy brushless system...
yep lock tight does work. and with the m3 fine thread bolts I got 3 years brushless outa mine even a 4 pole for a while on 3s. never had a issue. obviously once you ruin your stock case it wont work. outa all the scx10s ive seen in Utah I don't think ive seen a single one with a aluminum outer transmission case.

with the right screws and the right locktite and install shouldn't be any issues. but by all means drop 46 bucks on that vp one.
sotvotkong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:12 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotvotkong View Post
yep lock tight does work. and with the m3 fine thread bolts I got 3 years brushless outa mine even a 4 pole for a while on 3s. never had a issue. obviously once you ruin your stock case it wont work. outa all the scx10s ive seen in Utah I don't think ive seen a single one with a aluminum outer transmission case.

with the right screws and the right locktite and install shouldn't be any issues. but by all means drop 46 bucks on that vp one.
Yeah I see what you're saying. I got the VP case for my current build and its great but if you rather stay with the stock one with proper hardware then that's fine as well. Its funny because on my other scx10s I have mix and matched different hardware just to hold the tranny on so I figured it was time to try the VP case out and not worry about it lol.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:53 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Depends how much do you want to spend. For high end application and going for the best, VP. However if you prefer a less expensive one, yeah racing makes a pretty great alloy gear box
Old 07-21-2014, 12:02 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

I put in a vp case a little while back and it did not come with any screws to mount it with. The stock case uses a course thread screw and the vp case uses a fine thread screw. I ordered the correct screws from Fast Eddie, a little bit of blue thread lock and I have not had a problem since. The vp case is extremely nice and light and has held up to my 13.5 Tekin brushless motor on 3s just fine.
toyota2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:31 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Yep, I have seen both cases run and the weight difference between the alloy case and the plastic one is minimal

I could not see the difference between the two when the two trucks were crawling

I am on the alloy side though as I hate stripped screws!
JAYDEN1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:46 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I ordered a Topcad alluminum tranny and a full set of metal gears from Asiatees for under 40 bucks and haven't had a problem since

of course, when my plastic case stripped out I just used three big zipties for about a month
three2won is offline   Reply With Quote