Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX10 Questions Help Needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2014, 04:56 PM   #1

Default SCX10 Questions Help Needed

I am new to crawling and am looking to get an scx10 next week. I am thinking of getting the new rtr deadbolt if they have them in stock at tower, but if not I am leaning towards the Dingo Kit.

As for the Dingo kit, do they have the same driveshafts as the deadbolt rtr or does that not matter too much? Also I noticed the rtr deadbolt has the servo mounted higher can I do that to a Dingo?

Thanks in adv
SteelAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2014, 06:48 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: SCX10 Questions Help Needed

id recommend building your own or even one of the kits.
FATALLYILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATALLYILL View Post
id recommend building your own or even one of the kits.
Yeah I might just go kit, either way I plan on waterproofing the axles/bearings, might be easier to do with a kit.

As for electronics an Arrma mega esc, Novak Terra Claw 35t and an Associated servo will do good for in it right?
Old 07-23-2014, 07:30 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelAce View Post
I am new to crawling and am looking to get an scx10 next week. I am thinking of getting the new rtr deadbolt if they have them in stock at tower, but if not I am leaning towards the Dingo Kit.

As for the Dingo kit, do they have the same driveshafts as the deadbolt rtr or does that not matter too much? Also I noticed the rtr deadbolt has the servo mounted higher can I do that to a Dingo?

Thanks in adv
Since you're new you'll be miles ahead to buy the new Deadbolt SCX imo....add in some good 3s lipos (Turnigy or Sky), Castle BEC, and good AC/DC balance charger. Good Charger: Thunder AC6 Smart LiPo Balance Charger/Discharger w/ AC Adapter for 1-6 Lipo/ 1-15 Nimh + USB to PC Software

Great charger: X4 AC Plus 4 Port AC/DC Multi-Charger | HITEC RCD USA

EDIT: Usually I suggest a kit but the Deadbolt has lots of great upgrades not available on other models yet and I love the body too! Have fun with it, read more here and upgrade as you break stuff.

Last edited by Natedog; 07-23-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Id go with the RTR as well if your new to RC...youll get reliable/capable electronics and can learn from there.

check the for sale section here for some good deals on items also.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 07-23-2014 at 07:40 PM.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:40 PM   #6

If I were buying one I would look on craigslist buy one already built been seeing some nice rigs rtr for around 500 instead of buying a new rtr then dumping 1000 into it which can happen fast to get it to perform well and turn well and you know cute the itch to crawl I'm just saying that's what I would do
simpscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:47 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpscx10 View Post
If I were buying one I would look on craigslist buy one already built been seeing some nice rigs rtr for around 500 instead of buying a new rtr then dumping 1000 into it which can happen fast to get it to perform well and turn well and you know cute the itch to crawl I'm just saying that's what I would do
He's new to the hobby....I'd recommend buying new since he's got a lot to learn about already.

Avoid Duracrap (Duratrax) chargers.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:49 PM   #8

Thanks for all the input so far guys. I really do hope I can get that rtr next week (I love how it has all the new stuff on it), that is if they are in stock on tower. If not I do want to try a kit. The dingo seems good as its in my budget (I use easy pay). It also has the upgraded links compared to the rtr, which i like.

I do have plenty of batteries and 2 chargers already, I plan on using my nimh's as I want to be able to go in water and stuff. I have been racing sct for 2 years and rebuilt a few trucks before so I think if I have to get a kit I should be ok building it. I have been reading alot of threads here on builds and have a few ideas I want to do to the truck. Just not sure If I end up going with a kit, if my budget electronics will cut it.

Sorry I got you guys thinking I am completely new to the hobby, just to crawlers.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:32 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I would hold out for the new deadbolt .It does have plastic links. You can upgrade and do the longer wheelbase of the honcho ( it will climb way better) the dingos short wheelbase will want to flip over backwards on steep climbs. Wait till you have a plastic link fail. The deadbolt has the newer upgrades. The servo ,driveshafts , speed control. The speed control is to new to know if it's any good? If it fails go to a holmes hobby Brxl water proof speed control they are very good and you can use the stock motor if it is still useable when the speed control is replaced. Holmes also makes great motors with more torque. For a scale scx10 I would get a 25 or 30 turn motor, more wheel speed and torque over stock is what you would want.
im gunna crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:30 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I agree with some of the above posts, go ahead and get your self the SCX10 Deadbolt, you just can't beat it for the price. The esc and servo work just fine. I picked up one for my daughter, all I did was move the battery to the front, 4-link the front (parts to do it come with the rig) and added aluminum lower links. The rig performs great, no issues at all. The only other thing I may do is put a smaller pinion in it it to gear it down a slight bit. The Deadbolt runs 32 pitch gears now and comes with a 13t pinion, I may go down to a 10 for better low end control. Also, the new 12" wheelbase rigs work fine vs. the honcho / JK 12.3" WB. I am sure Axial did it for a reason starting with the Recon G6 kit.

From left to right.....cykb4117's Deadbolt, my Recon G6, my wife's JK and my daughter's Deadbolt on it's maiden run.

Last edited by HDMM; 07-24-2014 at 01:35 PM.
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:12 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Deadbolt. I even swapped my mip driveshafts for the deadbolt's HD driveshafts, its lighter less bulkier and strong enough. 32p too.

<<<< Tapatalk HD>>>>
dextan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:33 PM   #12
Jus
I wanna be Dave

as much as I love the Dingo and all the older kits (I have 4 IIRC) The improvements done on the deadbolt are very interesting, and is a huge step in the right direction. Not to mention it's a pretty good looking body, and it ISN'T a Jeep.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:06 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

My advice would be to get the RTR Deadbolt. Pull it out of the box, research how to make your own links and how to mirror the transmission. There are lots of free tricks and they can all be found on this site. Upgrade from there as needed
Lv6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:44 PM   #14

The more I read the more I want that Deadbolt Rtr. I really hope Towerhobbies has it in stock next week.

I already have a Jeep Comanche body waiting. I think I will need to make the wheelbase 12.3 for that though. For links I might just buy the Axial kit. I also want to find those dingo fenders to put on the jeep body.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:07 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Thanks! It's Palmer Park here in Colorado Springs and that's Pike's Peak in the background.

We really are spoiled here!
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:26 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
The more I read the more I want that Deadbolt Rtr. I really hope Towerhobbies has it in stock next week.

I already have a Jeep Comanche body waiting. I think I will need to make the wheelbase 12.3 for that though. For links I might just buy the Axial kit. I also want to find those dingo fenders to put on the jeep body.
I did the same thing you are doing, I ordered my Deadbolt and Comanche body in the same order. The axial links look great and it should be your first mod, but don't be afraid to DIY. its what keeps the hobby affordable and gives you freedom to customize as you see fit, like your wheelbase length. Its just brakeline and some allthread but you will learn this as you go. Most importantly have fun and I think your making a great choice with what you have planned so far
Old 07-24-2014, 07:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv6spd View Post
I did the same thing you are doing, I ordered my Deadbolt and Comanche body in the same order. The axial links look great and it should be your first mod, but don't be afraid to DIY. its what keeps the hobby affordable and gives you freedom to customize as you see fit, like your wheelbase length. Its just brakeline and some allthread but you will learn this as you go. Most importantly have fun and I think your making a great choice with what you have planned so far
Where can I get all the stuff to do my own links? I'm kinda worried I will mess it up with length though lol.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:53 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Where can I get all the stuff to do my own links? I'm kinda worried I will mess it up with length though lol.
I use revo rod ends but whatever captured ends you want to use should be fine. Any hardware/home improvement store for the 8/32 all thread rod and any auto parts store for 1/4 in. brake line. (a breakline cutter is awesome and easy for straight cuts but not absolutely necessary) You can use the old links as reference for length, then get to measuring and cutting.

Heres a thread with a little more detail
How To: Make your own links

Its cheap so buy a little extra, if you mess one up then no big deal try it again. If you buy the tools and supplies then you'll already be setup and ready to do the next truck (because there will be another )
Old 07-24-2014, 08:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv6spd View Post
I use revo rod ends but whatever captured ends you want to use should be fine. Any hardware/home improvement store for the 8/32 all thread rod and any auto parts store for 1/4 in. brake line. (a breakline cutter is awesome and easy for straight cuts but not absolutely necessary) You can use the old links as reference for length, then get to measuring and cutting.

Heres a thread with a little more detail
How To: Make your own links

Its cheap so buy a little extra, if you mess one up then no big deal try it again. If you buy the tools and supplies then you'll already be setup and ready to do the next truck (because there will be another )
Awesome ty!

This should save me at least $40 then, Now I can add some new proline wide bumpers to my shopping list. Only problem now is how do I know ho long to cut the links when I dont have any to compare them too lol
Old 07-24-2014, 08:46 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Awesome ty!

This should save me at least $40 then, Now I can add some new proline wide bumpers to my shopping list. Only problem now is how do I know ho long to cut the links when I dont have any to compare them too lol
use the stock ones, put a bolt through each end of your stock ones, slide your new ends on those bolts and measure in between those. if you want it longer add the amount you want to extend to what you measured and proceed. I think it is easiest to take that measurement, get your brakeline cut, put one rod end on the all thread, slide your cut brake line over the all thread, measure around a 1/4 in. from the end of your brakline, cut and install your other rod end.

SCX10 Questions Help Needed - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buggy questions / opinions needed bryco13 1.9 Scale Rigs 5 04-30-2013 08:35 AM