Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: First run - few questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2014, 06:38 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default First run - few questions

So I got my electronics installed today and tool the truck out for a few short runs. It's crawls great so far! I can't wait to hit a trail with it. I just did some crawling on a broken up sidewalk near my house.

Before I took it out, I tested the electronics. They worked fine but I noticed with the wheels off the ground, the back wheels seemed to spin smoother than the fronts. The front seem to be choppy and spinning slower than the rears. I'm uploading a video now. I'll post it when it's done.
SerpentCT4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2014, 06:49 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: First run - few questions

http://vid50.photobucket.com/albums/...psxwbjq2i9.mp4
Old 07-23-2014, 07:20 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Make sure the pins in the drive shafts are parallel to each other. I had the same problem.
mudbeast2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:28 PM   #4
RCC Addict

You have line up marks on the driveshafts..they have to line up or the front can skip like shown in the video...Its just a tiny raised line on the ends of the yokes.

Also, if you assembled the axles yourself make sure you don't have too much pinion gear play...pinion angle can cause hang ups as well.

Check the driveshafts first though.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 07-23-2014 at 07:31 PM.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:40 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The marks on the driveshafts are lined up.

I built the kit myself. You mean make sure the gear mesh is good with the pinion?
Old 07-23-2014, 07:43 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentCT4S View Post
The marks on the driveshafts are lined up.

I built the kit myself. You mean make sure the gear mesh is good with the pinion?
correct...sometimes you need to shim them to make them right..machining tolerances aren't always the best.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:47 PM   #7
RCC Addict

As far as pinion angle...when you lift the truck like you have it, it makes it worse...try compressing the front axle just a tad and see if it smooth out or not...that may be whats going on..pinion angle isn't actually the greatest stock, and most tend to raise it a tad.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:51 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

What do you mean by pinion angle?
Old 07-23-2014, 07:57 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Where the driveshaft meets axle, stock usually has it level or just a couple degrees towards ground. Make uppers a little longer with a spacer,washers or longer rod ends!
sic1to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:00 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Try pushing up on the front axle some and see if it goes away...if it does don't worry about it..when the truck is on the ground and weight is on the springs the pinion angle will improve and it shouldnt be a problem..Later down the road when you can make some custom links you can improve it for the better.

A better angle takes some stress of the axle bearing and the trans output bearings..also helps with climbing a bit.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 07-23-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:01 PM   #11
RCC Addict

This is a decent pinion angle to avoid binding...
Old 07-23-2014, 08:04 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
Pinion angle is the angle is the angle of your axles in relation to the driveshaft mounting yokes or driveshafts...You can raise and lower this by using different length suspension links to improve it....Im going to assume you have the factory plastic 3 link so not much you can do to fix it right now without new links...Try pushing up on the axle some while you spin over the wheels and see if it smooth out or not...if it does its happening because the axle is hanging with no weight on it. creating a very bad pinion angle....just put it on the ground and forget about it for now until you can improve it later.
What he said...but you actually have a option by using a plastic spacer of parts tree you got Layin around! Use a longer screw that goes into "y" add spacer & bam you just changed pinion angle
Old 07-23-2014, 08:06 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I had my truck on a stand while I was doing this. I also lifted the axle a little while on the stand and it did the same thing.

I have a kit, so it has the 3 link front and rear.

While I was crawling with it, the truck seemed to perform just fine. Maybe I'm just being too picky?

Is it possible something is wrong inside the axle? Too much or too little grease?

What size links to do I need to replace the plastic 3 links?
Old 07-23-2014, 08:08 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic1to View Post
What he said...but you actually have a option by using a plastic spacer of parts tree you got Layin around! Use a longer screw that goes into "y" add spacer & bam you just changed pinion angle
Do you know what parts tree and part I need for this? So I use a longer screw that goes into the 3 link and add the spacer?
Old 07-23-2014, 08:10 PM   #15
RCC Addict

try the spacer like suggested and see how that works out.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:12 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentCT4S View Post
Do you know what parts tree and part I need for this? So I use a longer screw that goes into the 3 link and add the spacer?
The instruction sheet will be your best friend on this one..lol
Old 07-23-2014, 08:13 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Sounds like a poblem with the ring and pinion not messing properly. It could be caused by the pinion bearings not being seated all the way in the housing making the mesh too tight. Could be a few things.

If you compressed the front suspension while it wa running and the front is still "choppy" it's definately in the differential.

BTW....not having the little lines lined up on the driveshafts wont make it skip, jump, bunce or any of that junk.
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:15 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMM View Post
Sounds like a poblem with the ring and pinion not messing properly. It could be caused by the pinion bearings not being seated all the way in the housing making the mesh too tight. Could be a few things.

If you compressed the front suspension while it wa running and the front is still "choppy" it's definately in the differential.

BTW....not having the little lines lined up on the driveshafts wont make it skip, jump, bunce or any of that junk.
Not having the shafts line up on mine and quite a few others on here did cause it to not work correctly..lining them up solved the issue for many...maybe on a specific run of driveshafts but ....just saying..lol

And I have to agree ,if compressing didn't solve it then its not a pinion angle issue and would look further into things....My RTR came with a spacer where the upper link attached to the front axle...so without one on there if this is the case will make it pretty bad of an angle...id make sure you have the spacer and go from there.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 07-23-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:21 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I'll try to locate the spacer tomorrow. Isn't there one used on the rear 3 link?

I will also open up my front axle and see what's going on in there. What should I be looking for in the axle?
Old 07-23-2014, 08:43 PM   #20
RCC Addict

what kit do you have?..the older dingo?...Mine came with a 4 link on the rear and a 3 link on the front so I don't know about what the rear came with as far as spacers.

In the axle your looking for excessive "in and out" play on the pinion gear...this throws the mesh off of the actual gears...make sure the bearing is pressed in fully as well.

First run - few questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1st run, real glitchy, MMP and Hobbywing and other questions IPT Electronics 17 05-28-2014 07:04 AM
Longest run time... batteries and charger questions o-o Redcat Crawlers 22 01-31-2014 11:48 AM
Lipo questions- run times, balance taps, running in parallel, etc. wonder squirrel Electronics 8 03-13-2011 04:54 PM
New TLT, basic run of questions. xjman Tamiya TLT Crawlers 3 07-13-2007 10:44 PM
Questions questions questions quest qowirnl RYY Newbie General 11 10-04-2006 08:18 PM