Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: So I bought a Deadbolt....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2014, 05:31 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default So I bought a Deadbolt....

I have had a few scx10's over the last 5 or 6 years most have been parted out to fund other projects or simply sold on to pay the bills
I initially intended to get a Jeep G6 kit for a new project but figured i would try out the Deadbolt just because it comes rtr and i have all the alu-links leftover from previous builds.I certainly didn't buy this on its er..good looks
I'm not entirely sure where this project is going yet i'm leaving it fairly open,but firstly i'm gonna run the wheels off it
Only thing i have done so far is swap the steering linkage for an old alu link salvaged from the parts bin,oh and removed the light bar i dont much fancy its chances of survival.
A bunch of boring pics....pretty much out of the box

First run out

More later

Last edited by grubbybuz; 07-27-2014 at 05:33 AM.
grubbybuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2014, 08:12 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: So I bought a Deadbolt....

Good choice on the Deadbolt, it's hard pressed to beat it for the price and what you get. I picked one up for my daughter, did a few basic mods to it and it has been a great performing rig that i don't need to dump a bunch of money into.

All I did was, aluminum lower links (left over from my G6 kit), aluminum steering links (given to me), moved the battery to the front (free), four linked the front (free), and did the narrow slider mod (free). After moving the battery and doing the slider mod, I trimmed a little off the bottom of the body (where it meets the sliders) and was able to lower it down about 1/4" more than it was from the factory, which will help lower the CG.

Last edited by HDMM; 07-27-2014 at 08:14 AM.
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:52 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Yup all those mods are lined up for the next few days I agree its a cheap fun truck to bash about,after months of hard body scaling its a refreshing change for me i dont have to cringe and check for damage every time it rolls over
I like taking pics of toy trucks and try to get the scale shots but its a bit difficult when you can see right through the truck from most angles and it shines like a shiny thing.
So to improve the matter I painted the inside of the lid black and flatted the sickly shine off the outside a bit with a scotch pad.Some wheel arch liners are imminent.
I'm thinking about making a grill panel for the front that stickers orrible.

Pics yawn

Old 07-27-2014, 04:21 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I like the scotch pad idea on the body That terrain looks lovely, where abouts are you in the UK if you don't mind me asking?
pobrockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:30 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I'm from North Yorkshire Nidderdale area bud Its an official area of oustanding beauty apparently.I'm fortunate enough to live only a short distance away from rivers,moorland,woodland and some rocky bits.
I is not posh though lol

You doin the rrci nats in October?
Old 07-27-2014, 05:42 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Those pics aren't boring, at all! I've got a Deadbolt en route, expecting it to arrive on Tuesday. Can't wait, as this will be my first scale/trail rig! I was thinking the same thing on addressing that see-through, stock body job. However, I might go as far as stripping the green off, entirely, and repainting with something that will blend better with all the green we have up here in the Pacific Northwest, like a blue, or red. I've already got a Yellow toy hard body for a future build, as well as a spray can of fiery orange for a seperate JK body, so those color choices are out.
Looking forward to seeing where you take this one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:48 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Great pics!
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:25 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Grubby buzz your pics aren't boring at all your terrain is very cool. Keep them coming.
im gunna crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:24 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubbybuz View Post
I'm from North Yorkshire Nidderdale area bud Its an official area of oustanding beauty apparently.I'm fortunate enough to live only a short distance away from rivers,moorland,woodland and some rocky bits.
I is not posh though lol

You doin the rrci nats in October?
Oh right, quite far away then!! Yeah it looks perfect for crawlers
I want to do the rrci nats this year but I got too much going on, I will next year for sure!!
pobrockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:06 AM   #10

I'm a longtime photographer, new to scale RC. Seems like you're nailing the right angles and distance to get that right look, so definitely not boring at all. Also, agreed on all counts on the Deadbolt's body. That lasted all of about a week for me before I realized I needed to come up with something different.
paperbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:57 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I initially intended to get a Jeep G6 kit for a new project but figured i would try out the Deadbolt just because it comes rtr and i have all the alu-links leftover from previous builds.I certainly didn't buy this on its er..good looks
I'm not entirely sure where this project is going yet i'm leaving it fairly open,but firstly i'm gonna run the wheels off it
Only thing i have done so far is swap the steering linkage for an old alu link salvaged from the parts bin,oh and removed the light bar i dont much fancy its chances of survival.
A bunch of boring pics....pretty much out of the box

More later
Great choice for a new crawler it's got lots of great features right out of the box, I love the body, great pics in nice territory too!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:58 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Thanks for comments i enjoy takin pics,i have to say i'm a bit of a camera noob still.
I guess its the subject matter thats a little bit dull to look at.
These are my usual subjects

Anyways the deadbolt is a great fun truck for bashing about it will be a shame to break it down and rebuild a proper truck just yet.......
so i'm gonna beat on it for a good while to come making a few minor mods along the way
Started on a simple styrene front panel section last night
Old 07-28-2014, 01:24 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

I've been toying with the idea of snagging one of these for a while. I may just have to grab one for the wife haha.

Is that a twin ham under that bug body ?
Mollett89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:14 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Sure is bud
Old 07-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

awesome!
Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:40 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Made a start on a grille piece thingy,as you can see i'm no styrene expert in fact this is the first time i have made something i'm happy to post a picture of .
My styrene crafting tools are somewhat limited i.e a stanley knife an old bread board a small file and some superglue.Just need to dig deep into my parts box to try and find a matching pair of lightbuckets and lenses.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:04 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Made a start on a grille piece thingy,as you can see i'm no styrene expert in fact this is the first time i have made something i'm happy to post a picture of .
My styrene crafting tools are somewhat limited i.e a stanley knife an old bread board a small file and some superglue.Just need to dig deep into my parts box to try and find a matching pair of lightbuckets and lenses.
Userid Naz-T made a similar grill and said that the Axial large round light buckets fit in there.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:53 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Not too happy with the front panel,gonna start all over again might do better next time,its better than a sticker though.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:44 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

More pics done nothing bar pulling in the rock slider thingy's

Old 08-30-2014, 07:52 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Holiday deadbolt pics

So I bought a Deadbolt.... - Similar Threads