Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: G6 suspension Q's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2014, 12:33 PM   #1

Default G6 suspension Q's

Just got a g6 the other day and I love it. But I'm looking to get a bit more flex out of it. Do I just need longer shocks?
And also when the front end gets caught up on something the rear axle tries to keep pushing and twists, how do I fix that? Aluminum links rather than the plastic ones?
Thanks guys!
chuckster12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2014, 12:45 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: G6 suspension Q's

STRC 4 link trusses, Creationfab link risers and 8-32 threaded rod with Revo ends sleeved with 1/4 x .035 aluminum tubing
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:11 PM   #3

And that will fix the rear axle twisting or the flex? Or both??
Old 07-28-2014, 04:49 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

You buy the RTR version? Plastic lower links are super flexible. Swap them out to something stiffer (aluminum) and it'll hold the axle where it should be.
For more flex you can take out the little rubber bump stop on the bottom of the shock shaft. Use a razor to cut it out or remove the shock end. That'll give you maybe an extra 1/4" at each shock.
Brainanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:27 PM   #5

Ok and is there a nice set of taller shocks that any of you would recommend?
Old 07-28-2014, 08:57 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Traxxas 4" Big Bore shocks....last shock you will buy for the rig....
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:00 PM   #7
RCC Addict

If you want more shock travel just remove the rubber spacers on the shock shafts..upward travel will improve about the same distance as the spacer is tall...Don't go with super long shocks ..you can't use it all anyway without making other changes and costing more money...stock length shocks are already just about as much as you can use...keep your center of gravity low.

If your after a raised monster truck look with bigger 2.2 tires and dont care about raising the center of gravity then go for it.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 07-28-2014 at 09:08 PM.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:44 PM   #8

4 link front and rear, the stock axial mounts have better clearance than the strc or vanquish ones.... try longer rod ends on your shocks first off. next id look at were you bottom out at. I usally have to dremel out a bit of the frame truss' to get full compression. I love the stock axial shocks, with the proper oil and springs you can get a lot done. I also am not a fan of the traxxas big bores as I like the dual rate springs.. proline makes some and a few other companies as well. basically I like to stick to the dual rates for good flex and good side hill as well.

if your in a budget that's small, just get some brake line and all thread. probly the cheapest way about it(but not the strongest, still better than the plastic ones tho). next up is all jato/revo rods... there still cheaper than vanquish or axials and thicker too using 4m rod ends instead of the standard 3m.

as for your twistys did you mirror your trans yet?
sotvotkong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:46 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

They, BigBore shocks, come in 3.5" as well

I don't think they make the rig look like a monster truck....these are 4"

Old 07-28-2014, 09:58 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Like everyone else has said do the brake line and all thread and revo ends, 4 link it in front shock spacers remove. You might want to read the thread tips & tricks there is a lot of good ideas in there and the keep it simple and keep it stock thread good info in there also.
rcmaxx1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:42 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postclanker View Post
They, BigBore shocks, come in 3.5" as well

I don't think they make the rig look like a monster truck....these are 4"

I thought the traxxas big bores were all 4" t maxx shocks....what model uses shorter 3-1/2" big bores?

I used 4" losi comp shocks but limited them to 93mm.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:12 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Tmax big bores! Awesome shocks. I use a partial droop setup with a shorter spring on the shock. I have the same ride height as the stock icon shocks with more droop travel.
460bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460bronco View Post
Tmax big bores! Awesome shocks. I use a partial droop setup with a shorter spring on the shock. I have the same ride height as the stock icon shocks with more droop travel.
How'd you up those partial droop? I like the sounds of that
Old 07-29-2014, 07:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotvotkong View Post
4 link front and rear, the stock axial mounts have better clearance than the strc or vanquish ones.... try longer rod ends on your shocks first off. next id look at were you bottom out at. I usally have to dremel out a bit of the frame truss' to get full compression. I love the stock axial shocks, with the proper oil and springs you can get a lot done. I also am not a fan of the traxxas big bores as I like the dual rate springs.. proline makes some and a few other companies as well. basically I like to stick to the dual rates for good flex and good side hill as well.

if your in a budget that's small, just get some brake line and all thread. probly the cheapest way about it(but not the strongest, still better than the plastic ones tho). next up is all jato/revo rods... there still cheaper than vanquish or axials and thicker too using 4m rod ends instead of the standard 3m.

as for your twistys did you mirror your trans yet?
I haven't done anything to my rig yet besides 2.2s. What do you mean by mirror the trans
Old 07-29-2014, 09:01 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster12 View Post
How'd you up those partial droop? I like the sounds of that
I don't know what springs I have in this rig but my wraith uses losi front springs. I drill a hole in the spring cup big enough to put a small zip tie through. Then zip tie the spring to the cup so you don't lose anything. In this scx 10 I have about 1/4 " or so of up travel before the truss hits the frame and the shocks are almost bottomed out. When the axle droops out the spring just floats down the shock body. Make sure the spring cups hold tight to the rod end of course, mine do, otherwise use shoe goo or something to hold them in place.

Now my word is not god, these are just my opinions on what works for me, and I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about. So don't think I'm trying to push anything on anyone. Try it if you like the idea. I see too many people on here saying that something is the greatest and anything else is just the worst idea known to man. Its why I don't post many ideas. Have fun, hope you find what works for you.
460bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:09 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster12 View Post
I haven't done anything to my rig yet besides 2.2s. What do you mean by mirror the trans
you basically just flip it around so the torque doesn't make the rig twist/flex on accel.
sotvotkong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:14 AM   #17
Scale Detail Engineering

IMHO, you should research this a little... you'll find many before you that wanted more flex and you'll find the same answers with an overwhelming: Less is more.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:27 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460bronco View Post
I drill a hole in the spring cup big enough to put a small zip tie through. Then zip tie the spring to the cup so you don't lose anything.
This is a GREAT idea! I will try this myself. I don't like how high the stock dual spring setup sits, I want to experiment with a single spring. The spring popping off of the cup was one of my concerns. Smart thinking, man!
1967Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:39 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotvotkong View Post
you basically just flip it around so the torque doesn't make the rig twist/flex on accel.
Ok yea that makes sense. I'll have to that! And I'll also try that droop setup! Thanks guys
Old 07-29-2014, 11:00 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Sharkey....I don't know what Traxxas model uses the shorter shocks....but I've used them on other builds for crawlers...

G6 suspension Q's - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A few Q's Mash13 Tamiya XC/CC01 1 10-23-2011 08:02 PM
A few Q's rapttor Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 11 08-02-2011 02:41 PM
rustler suspension arms versus bandit suspension arms... STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER Non Crawler RC's 5 08-30-2010 11:05 AM
new here with a few Q's gasshead Newbie General 7 08-04-2006 10:48 PM
suspension q's? diablo0072k General Crawlers 9 12-14-2005 08:26 PM