Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Single Spring on Icon Shock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2014, 09:30 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Single Spring on Icon Shock

Hey guys. I don't like how high the suspension sits at stock with my G6. I have backed the preload collars off as far as they will go, but I feel there is still too much spring holding the truck up. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what single spring I could use. I want more sag in the suspension.

Thanks for the help. I did a search and did not find the answers I wanted.

EDIT - Should I just start with a super soft spring for the bottoms? http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...Super-Soft-Red

Last edited by 1967Typhoon; 07-29-2014 at 09:37 AM.
1967Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2014, 10:17 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Single Spring on Icon Shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Typhoon View Post
Hey guys. I don't like how high the suspension sits at stock with my G6. I have backed the preload collars off as far as they will go, but I feel there is still too much spring holding the truck up. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what single spring I could use. I want more sag in the suspension.

EDIT - Should I just start with a super soft spring for the bottoms? Axial Shock Spring 12.5x40mm (Super Soft/Red) [AXI30205] | Radio Control - A Main Hobbies
I agree that the SCX sits just a little bit too high in stock form. This excellent thread has the part number for the single spring used on SCX Deadbolt, not sure how it sits compared to the dual spring setup...iirc it's about the same, but maybe there's a shorter version of it. Otherwise I'd try the next softer spring on the longer of the two that came on your SCX. I reallly wish that there was a couple stages softer of the short spring available, because I like having the stiff second stage spring on there to control body roll on side hills.

Dudley Deadbolt's Adventure Thread by T-money
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:12 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:

EDIT - Should I just start with a super soft spring for the bottoms? Axial Shock Spring 12.5x40mm (Super Soft/Red) [AXI30205] | Radio Control - A Main Hobbies
I haven't tried working with single springs so I can't offer much on that, but if your looking for more sag the super soft on the bottom should work in theory. You could also try to use a suspension lift/lower kit like this one to get the ride height that you're looking for.
ShrinerTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Typically, the first spring on a dual spring coilover (whether it is scale shocks or 1:1) is going to be softer so that it can absorb bumps easier and not have high enough spring rate to bounce you off an obstacle.

As you get closer to the end of the shock cycle, The bottom spring should have a more firm spring rate to slow down the shock stroke to keep you from bottoming out on your shocks.

It is definitely worth getting a softer, but still firm, lower set of springs and then get a good assortment of first spring springs. Unless your rig is going to be super heavy, you can probably get away with just tuning the first springs.
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:28 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh2012 View Post
Typically, the first spring on a dual spring coilover (whether it is scale shocks or 1:1) is going to be softer so that it can absorb bumps easier and not have high enough spring rate to bounce you off an obstacle.

As you get closer to the end of the shock cycle, The bottom spring should have a more firm spring rate to slow down the shock stroke to keep you from bottoming out on your shocks.

It is definitely worth getting a softer, but still firm, lower set of springs and then get a good assortment of first spring springs. Unless your rig is going to be super heavy, you can probably get away with just tuning the first springs.
I couldn't have said it better.

Last edited by Natedog; 07-29-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:56 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

From what I understand the shorter (upper) springs already come in super soft from the kit, correct? Then the longer spring (lower) is more of a medium rate?

I might try going with a soft rather than a super soft in the lowers if that is the case.
1967Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:32 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
From what I understand the shorter (upper) springs already come in super soft from the kit, correct? Then the longer spring (lower) is more of a medium rate?

I might try going with a soft rather than a super soft in the lowers if that is the case.
I'm not too certain on what color springs come with the kit SCX10, you'll just have to cross reference them on Axial's website or the manual and find out exactly what they are.

It may be worth changing the shock oil too to help match the sfter springs that you may be buying. You don't want the body/frame to flop around while sidehilling or at a strange obstacle. It's all about how you drive and what you want it to act like- shock oil and springs are cheap, go crazy.
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Single Spring on Icon Shock - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
King shock single spring conversion? ProjectSCX10 General Crawlers 4 05-28-2014 10:03 PM
ICON Shock builders question Sactown_Summit Axial SCX-10 8 05-19-2014 04:25 PM
I need a single aluminum hr shock? LavaCapCrawling Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 1 03-07-2013 08:08 AM
Single shock IFS GeoffSFAs10 Traxxas Crawlers 3 12-29-2004 07:18 AM