Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: JK Green-day

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default JK Green-day

I decided to get a new rig so I could go out with the 801RCC guys and compete in the stock class they started, it appeals to me due too the fact that it is intended to keep the cost down.

The title = I love green and some day I will have a 1:1 JK, I have had a few jeeps and loved them all.

I was able to pick this rig up as a roller from Erbing at the beginning of July, It came to me slightly used, but was painted the color I would have gone with anyway ,so that was a huge bonus.

The rig is mostly finished at this point but I dont have the time to just put it all on here so it will take a few days anyway, and that makes it more like a build thread than a built thread.

As I received it, all stock.

And this is the running gear and such I started with.

More to come as time permits.
jhghah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: JK Green-day

I absolutely love the look of the TSL SX XL's so I had a set lined up to purchase on here from a fellow member, and to my surprise my wife bought me a brand new set.
The only complaint I had is the foams are huge,way to big (as discussed numerous times) so I cut about 1/2" off of the width and star cut them to be able to use them temporarily until I can get some CI foams.

There was no way I was going to glue these tires so after some chatting with Naz-T about the rules of the class I was able to buy some beadlocks, they just had to be plastic. I did some research and came to the conclusion that I had to have the Proline 1.9's in the Denali flavor.

I opted to go with the smooth rings out and the jagged rings obviously on the inside so that you could see more of the wheel itself.
And I had to add my own flair to them and add the typical silver sharpie touch to the lug nuts. And I also like to sharpie the inside writing to add that whites in scale effect, you will notice it some of my pics later on.

Here is the set all mounted and ready for install.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:57 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Got a link to the rules and specs on this stock class? Looking into starting a very small Winter points series based around stock'ish and production level rigs on the courses I have in my yard as well as a few local secret spots. Interested in where the rig is headed as well. Will be following this closely!
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:46 PM   #4

thats looking great!!!! i love the green
neversummer5282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:58 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Where do you guys run ?
im gunna crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:12 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Nice, the green looks really good!
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:30 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
Got a link to the rules and specs on this stock class? Looking into starting a very small Winter points series based around stock'ish and production level rigs on the courses I have in my yard as well as a few local secret spots. Interested in where the rig is headed as well. Will be following this closely!
http://eight01rcc.freeforums.org/801...les-t2831.html
The stock rules for the club are about half way down.
Basically what you get in a kit or rtr is all that can run. 160oz. max servo, 27t or higher brushed, aluminum steering and suspension links (or plastic),scale tires, plastic beadlocks, plastic knuckles & c's.... you get the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neversummer5282 View Post
thats looking great!!!! i love the green
Thanks, I love the green too! Always have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by im gunna crawl View Post
Where do you guys run ?
It has been everywhere the ultra4 events have happened for 801RCC. Or are going to, Naz-T always posts it in the competition section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMM View Post
Nice, the green looks really good!
I like it too. I was stoked when he offered it up while I was shopping for one to see it was the right color.

Last edited by jhghah; 08-07-2014 at 06:39 AM. Reason: more info
Old 08-07-2014, 07:30 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

What is the color ? Love it
SkyJacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:12 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJacked View Post
What is the color ? Love it
It looks far better in person

It is Pactra Lime Ice, The beadlock rings are in Regular Testors enamel Lime Ice.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:36 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Next was on to the chassis setup, I have always liked to put the electronic box at the back and drop it down as to portray a gas tank, I have done this with all of the scx-10 full bodied rigs I have owned. The only problem is it makes the wiring a bit more difficult because you have to lengthen it all.

To do this on the JK you have to cut the mounts on the rear bumper, and put spacers under the box where it mounts to the x-member to hold it up just enough to clear the rear truss at full compression.

I also used some extra parts I had around to make a tray for my esc to sit on. 1 is an scx-10 x-member, and the other is the flat plate mount from my Wraith kit. Simply screwed together and mounted.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:33 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Awesome thanks. Funny I have that paint on my bench just haven't used it yet.
SkyJacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:12 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Next up was to get the COG (center of gravity) in a more crawler friendly position, I opted to go for the Dudly battery relocation mod, I really like the positioning of the battery plate the best doing it this way. I have researched alot of possibilitys of placing the battery in this location, and this one is the best. In my Opinion

I did do things slightly different with the way I have my velcro straps attached.

One of the other things I have always done to help secure batterys is put velcro on the battery or mounting plate,as well as the battery pack. Using the velcro on the mount and pack + the straps= never having to worry about it staying put.
Plus the straps make it easy to hold the balance plug out of harms way.

I also like to trim the straps after fitting the battery so the ends are easy to get to, specially when the straps dont rotate like on this mod. They would end up wrapped all the way underneath and it was a pita.

Last edited by jhghah; 08-08-2014 at 06:15 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:57 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I really like that major 1:1 company's recognize how big RCCRAWLING has become over the last 10 years, and have allowed the RC manufacturers to license their product and bring it to us. I personally believe that if it was not for RCC it would not be where it is now.

So........ on to the install of such a product the RC4WD Warn winch we all have used the 3racing replica with the warn decals, but this one is killer for a lighter scale rig.

First off what a pita to mount this to the poison spider bumper with the mounting plate that comes with them (RC4WD offers various mounting plates for these that would make mounting alot easier) because I was in way too big of a hurry to build one, so I just removed it from the winch, bent it to mach the recess of the bumper, laid out the holes and drilled them out.

And all mounted up.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:17 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Look'n good man. I dig the color

Can't wait to see it at one of the events.
NaZ-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:36 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaZ-T View Post
Look'n good man. I dig the color

Can't wait to see it at one of the events.
Thanks.

Im really hoping to get to the next event.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:00 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

So it has been a few days since I was able to update this, I have been busy with some things for a member on here.

At this point in the build I put all the electronics in that I had. Trying to get it finished to make it to a local comp. I was up till 3 am. trying to get it all together to make it to the comp by 8am.

Well no go, turns out the esc I had that I wanted to use was brushed only. Why in this day and age would they make a brushless only esc
It completely squashed my plans.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:11 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

So I had to wait a day or so to get back to my build, untill I could get a new esc. I went with the Castle SV3 for $ = stock rig = waterproof = always had good luck with the original sidewinder.

I also decided to continue on with some other things trying to get the rig to a more finished point.

Here is my rig with the current electronics in her. I will be adding more wiring for other lights and a winch controller in the near future.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:20 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

On to some more mods. I did not like how the body looked with the sliders in the stock position. So I messed with a couple different options. and ended with the shorty mod.

I did not like the look of the body with the stock slider that was molded into the lexan so I cut it off, it also allows the scx slider to protrude just barely from the body.
I am not convinced that I like it this way either, so I may have to build some sliders the way I would for a 1:1 if I had one.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:33 AM   #19

Sweet looking rig!!! I will definitely be following this thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
crash-n-bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:47 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash-n-bash View Post
Sweet looking rig!!! I will definitely be following this thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Thanks, it is all coming together.

JK Green-day - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Day to day with a TF2 Hilux... tozrovr 1.5 Scale Rigs 25 11-14-2012 10:58 AM
Happy Late Canada Day/Early Independence Day monkeyracing Tamiya XC/CC01 1 07-04-2012 11:19 AM
5-25-09 Memorial Day 2009 Beautiful day out 4x4Crawler4LIFE Scale Videos! 0 05-26-2009 09:41 PM
Jeep buildup...day by day steps ford381stroker General Crawlers 33 06-22-2007 05:36 PM