Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Bought my first SCX10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2014, 07:32 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Bought my first SCX10

So I just bought my first SCX10 and took it for a run this afternoon around the neighborhood.
I have a couple questions: 1. Is there a way to improve the turning radius? 2. I'm running a 2S Lipo and am hoping to slow the truck down, whats the best way to reduce top speed?

Tomorrow I plan on relocating the battery to the front and spending some time perusing the forums for more ideas.
Smonkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Bought my first SCX10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smonkman View Post
So I just bought my first SCX10 and took it for a run this afternoon around the neighborhood.
I have a couple questions: 1. Is there a way to improve the turning radius? 2. I'm running a 2S Lipo and am hoping to slow the truck down, whats the best way to reduce top speed?

Tomorrow I plan on relocating the battery to the front and spending some time perusing the forums for more ideas.

1. The xr10 mod for your steering. There are variations of how people are doing this just search xr10 mod but simply put it is done using wraith/xr10 knuckles and chubs and xr10 universals some cut them down some don't depending on how they are doing the mod. Now this can require some modifications to make these parts work together but the increase in turning radius is considerable.

2. Gear down. Grab yourself a smaller tooth count pinion for your motor.

Sent from my iPad using my finger
sf2000xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:12 PM   #3

stock the scx10 comes with a 20t pinion, goto a 16t or 17t that will increase torque and decrease top speed. also you can run a 90t spur instead of the 87t stock spur gear to further torque and decrease again top speed. then you can buy a castle link if you have the ae-2 esc(think the new g6 is the only one with the ae-5?) with the castle link you can limit stuff with your computer for top speed and reverse speed, drag brake ect.

if your not running a lot of power id say you can just remove the 2 front screws that the knuckles hit on to get a touch more stearing, or replace them with short set screws. cheap easy 2-3* xr10 mod is best for turning radius. but I found with my setup having a sideways front mounted battery the ax10 cvds get me were I want to be just fine. all in personal preference. if your looking for on the dime turning look into dig units.
sotvotkong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:42 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I capped my top speed with my dual rate on the throttle. I am using a DX9 radio and I can flip it off and on, also slow the response with a lot of expo on steering and throttle for crawling and then turn it off for more high speed traveling.
Sailingeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:40 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Change your gear ratios. Overdrive the front gears. its a 36/14 ratio. Underdrive the rear to a 43/13 ratio. Rpp has them on sale/ just search the ratio 36/14 or 43/13.
I Havent done yet it but have read great things.(Mine just showed up havent gotten my rig together yet.) Read up on it. It will help improve climbing and turning radius. If you're on a budget you can do the front first.
Welcome to the scx10 addiction
marcb527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:11 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcb527 View Post
Change your gear ratios. Overdrive the front gears. its a 36/14 ratio. Underdrive the rear to a 43/13 ratio. Rpp has them on sale/ just search the ratio 36/14 or 43/13.
I Havent done yet it but have read great things.(Mine just showed up havent gotten my rig together yet.) Read up on it. It will help improve climbing and turning radius. If you're on a budget you can do the front first.
Welcome to the scx10 addiction
OD/UD gears WORK!! As you said, improved climbing and turning. Drivetrain turns smoothly...no binding of any kind...even on pavement!
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:14 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I've noticed subtle dragging ass so to speak, but no negative mechanical effects as of yet. The benefits far outweigh any negatives I've ever seen. Another convert, good stuff
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote

Bought my first SCX10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Built not bought scx10 Arnel Axial SCX-10 8 11-16-2013 09:16 AM
Bought my first SCX10 arnesto Axial SCX-10 4 06-08-2013 07:50 AM
Just bought an scx10, now what to do? guerillaboy Newbie General 9 08-12-2011 07:59 PM
Bought an SCX10 JustMe Axial SCX-10 1 12-01-2010 08:56 PM
Anyone bought the SCX10 yet? Sasquatchbagger Missouri 1 04-08-2009 05:22 PM