Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Worst Rc Purchase ever.. :(

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2014, 05:24 PM   #1

Default Worst Rc Purchase ever.. :(

I finally got my Scx10 deadbolt rtr. First thing I did was get a new body, put on the aluminum link kit, take out the shock spacer and slap on some level 3 rc axle guards. All set to go! Went outside for maybe 10-15 mins, slowly crawling around my yard when i tip it over, go flip it over and hear a weird clicking noise coming from the axles.

I go inside and take them apart and cant find anything wrong, nothing stripped, no wobble in the diff nothing.... I have been trying to figure this out for 2 days now.
So I decide to put some marine grease in them while they are apart, that helped a little, it wasnt as loud. Next I go to put on my level 3 rc cms and center link mounts.... what a rip off that crap is.... the bolts that hold the link and spacer near the center of the truck are way too long and cant go on because of the motor. I said screw it, i'll just put on the cms kit.... NOPE... wont work with the stock link mounts..... what a waste.... $450 down the drain.

I am about to throw this whole setup in the trash..... 2 days of trying to figure out what is wrong and I am about to snap.

Last edited by SteelAce; 08-07-2014 at 05:32 PM.
SteelAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2014, 05:31 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Worst Rc Purchase ever.. :(

if you show some pictures of what you are trying to do maybe someone one here will help out.
evad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by evad1 View Post
if you show some pictures of what you are trying to do maybe someone one here will help out.
I would but my camera is crap (blurry)
SteelAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:44 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

A blurry photo is better than no photo.
realsickclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:55 PM   #5
Jeep whore

So because you can't put the cms and center link mounts on because the screws are to long ( use shorter screws?) you wasted 450.00? All this hobby is, is tinkering and messing with the trucks, if this tiny set back has you this riled up, I don't think RC is the hobby for you.
scale4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scale4x4 View Post
So because you can't put the cms and center link mounts on because the screws are to long ( use shorter screws?) you wasted 450.00? All this hobby is, is tinkering and messing with the trucks, if this tiny set back has you this riled up, I don't think RC is the hobby for you.
I couldnt agree more, just pick up some smaller screws and make it work. Definitely try and post up a couple pictures though.. there are a lot of people on this site that would be and are more than willing to help .
RebelRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:28 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

go back to stock, put battery in and bash away until you're ready to start tinkering. 100% stock RTR scx10 rig is a VERY capable rig out of the box and has been known to even win some competitions when driven by the right person.
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:08 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelAce View Post
I finally got my Scx10 deadbolt rtr. First thing I did was get a new body, put on the aluminum link kit, take out the shock spacer and slap on some level 3 rc axle guards. All set to go! Went outside for maybe 10-15 mins, slowly crawling around my yard when i tip it over, go flip it over and hear a weird clicking noise coming from the axles.

I go inside and take them apart and cant find anything wrong, nothing stripped, no wobble in the diff nothing.... I have been trying to figure this out for 2 days now.
So I decide to put some marine grease in them while they are apart, that helped a little, it wasnt as loud. Next I go to put on my level 3 rc cms and center link mounts.... what a rip off that crap is.... the bolts that hold the link and spacer near the center of the truck are way too long and cant go on because of the motor. I said screw it, i'll just put on the cms kit.... NOPE... wont work with the stock link mounts..... what a waste.... $450 down the drain.

I am about to throw this whole setup in the trash..... 2 days of trying to figure out what is wrong and I am about to snap.
I agree...just because the crappy level 3 junk wont fit without modifications and new or different hardware is no reason to trash the deadbolt...its not the trucks fault... would you trash your car if you bought parts that didnt fit right? No...problem is with the parts...not the deadbolt...
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:36 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

When mine pisses me off, and it does, I just put the tools down and walk away and think about how to fix the problem. Sometimes it takes a day or two or help from some of the fantastic minds of the R/C geniuses on this site. But it always works out in the end. And I learned the hard way always research before you buy new parts.
wraithfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:10 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Patience grasshopper, for rc to work right you must have patience. We are here to help and do your research. Cheap,crappy parts are just that,cheap crappy and fustrating. You did not waste money buying your deadbolt,you just wasted your money on crappy parts.
THUNDER PRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:37 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Check you PM's. I'm not far away,and I am here to help.
THUNDER PRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:14 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

^ That is cool! Don't give up yet OP

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
fourxfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:49 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

Hi steel ace, sorry to hear your start into crawling has been bad. Let us try and help with some simple advice. Firstly. Don't try to do to much first. Keep your rig basic. Find sections here that pertain to your rig(like this section) and read the stickies like your life depends on it. Now that seems boring but it imparts the basic knowledge so when communicating the issues your having, to the guys here who really can help you.... For FREE.
The boys are right a lot of tinkering to get started. But if you keep it simple to start your solutions will be simpler. So knuckle down bud get to know your rig, we all start a little frustrated by the way keep your CMS you may want it later

Last edited by Trail Blazer; 08-08-2014 at 04:05 AM.
Trail Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:13 AM   #14
RCC Addict

The cool part about this hobby is the ability to "tinker". There are a lot of sub-standard parts out there, that said, there are some incredible talents on this website that can and will assist you. If you are any way the slightest mechanically inclined individual, than this hobby is for you. The ability to work on 1:1 vehicles is just a segue into applying those skills to your 1:10 scale rig. I dare say that ALL of us have been frustrated at one time or another.....IMO that is the cool part...makes you think, and apply your ideas.

"Just ask and they will come"!
joe122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:30 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:

First....take a deep breath and step away for awhile. A stock RTR SCX10 is very capable as said by others on here, you don't need to jump in and start changing everything out on it.

Next, you want to do some research before you buy aftermarket parts to avoid disappointment. Level 3 stuff is pretty much crap. The RC4WD CMS kit is much better and is as close to a Hand Brothers kit that you can get.

Now, the clicking part is more than likely a piece of debris (small piece of sand or rock) that got stuck in your spur gear. My daughter's Deadbolt did the same thing on the second trail run we did with it and it sounded really bad, but it was nothing. You can pop the spur gear cover off and check it out, turn the gear until you see whats stuck in there and pop it out. Sometimes a piece of debris will get in there and mess up a tooth on the spur gear a little then fall out. The rig will then make a noise that sounds really bad for while, but it will go away.

For some reason I've seen this noise on my daughter's and a friend's deadbolt, it must be the new 32 pitch gears getting debris in them for some reason. Never really had that issue with the 32p stuff. Both of their rigs aren't making noise any longer.
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:16 AM   #16
RCC Addict

^^^ +1

He speaks the truth.

Blurry camera, Level 3 RC parts....brother, you gotta stop buying cheap and start buying quality. If you cant afford the quality stuff, save up and make one purchase in stead of tossing money at it multiple times.
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:49 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

Pm me for my address, I'd glady dispose of it for ya man
Like everyone else has said it's part of the hobby man. Do what you can to post pics of vids and someone can figure it out. Also you might google image the level 3 stuff to make sure you have it set up correctly I know the directons on them arent the best. Worst case if there is something wring I have heard that Axial has a great warranty department. Good luck man enjoy the new rig
marcb527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:02 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

If some clicking sounds is getting you upset, don't try your hand at trying to fly an RC Helicopter. That hobby will drain the wallet and will make you want to beat your head in until you learn how to hover. Just take you time and remember tinnkering with these is part of the hobby. And like people said, buy good quaility stuff from the start.
Sailingeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:57 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkolator View Post
go back to stock, put battery in and bash away until you're ready to start tinkering. 100% stock RTR scx10 rig is a VERY capable rig out of the box and has been known to even win some competitions when driven by the right person.
x2
johnfm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:02 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

How are your Cheerios? Did the milk get them too soggy?
Are your scrambled eggs too,....scrambled?
Is your toast only buttered on one side?

First, take all the mods off and run it stock.
See how it runs. Does it make noise like this? If not, then it may be something that was added that changed a drive angle to the point of making it bind.
If it runs ok, then add ONE new upgrade and run it again. Does it make noise,....blah blah blah......
If it runs ok,....then add ONE more upgrade and run it again. Blah blah blah.....you get the point.
Don't lose faith with a product if you haven't taken the time to validate an actual problem. The problem may be due to something that you did to an already good product in an attempt to "make it better".

OR like marcb527 said, package it up and send it to me,...not him, and I'll be happy to fix it for you.
offroadace is offline   Reply With Quote

Worst Rc Purchase ever.. :( - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Probably the worst idea ever....... Magic Non Crawler RC's 14 08-11-2011 08:58 PM
Worst forum ever will bell Chit Chat 176 12-22-2010 06:21 AM
turn for the worst breitenbach14 Electronics 12 05-02-2008 02:49 PM
Worst R/C Injury Eclipse Chit Chat 52 08-30-2006 03:52 PM
worst day in a while murdock Chit Chat 13 06-17-2006 08:16 AM