RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial SCX-10 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/)
-   -   CVD front axle binding when turning (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/504449-cvd-front-axle-binding-when-turning.html)

Odd-M 08-08-2014 03:14 PM

CVD front axle binding when turning

Bought some used SCX10 axles with HR C-hubs and knuckles, beef tubes and some unknown brand CVD's. Problem is they are binding badly when the knuckles turn. I can see with my bare eye that the knuckle and CVD-joint is not turning around the same point. Turning the knuckles will pull the CVD outwards from the axle (shaft seems too short) and force it against the knuckle. The collar on the outer part of the CVD pushes on the bearing.

It's obvious to me that the parts doesn't match at all. One might be off, or both. Anyone got any experience with the HR parts?

dextan22 08-08-2014 04:33 PM

Re: CVD front axle binding when turning

It's most likely the unknown brand cvds, locals here use hr without problems, and ive heard about cheap cvds from rcmart or asiatees not fitting well even on stock knucks and chubs.

<<<< Tapatalk HD>>>>

ricksonchow 08-08-2014 07:35 PM

I have just got the HR high steer knucks and Axial CVD. I have notice there are a bit chattering at the max angle. Check the interference point at max steering angle. Mine are the edge of CVD outer shaft touching the CVD inner shaft. I would program end point where these two parts touch.

Odd-M 08-09-2014 12:46 AM

My set is not chattering, they just bind up way before the reach the maximum angle.

Odd-M 08-10-2014 01:26 AM

Perhaps new Axial front CVD's. They're fairly cheap, at least compared to VP's. Are they any good? This car will be running regular brushed motors, no speed or power monster.

eric113 08-10-2014 10:54 AM

Post up some pics.

I would pull the cvds and rotate them by hand to see they binding still.Sounds like they need to be cleaned up and maybe polished.

TacoCrawler 08-10-2014 12:17 PM

I utilize the Axial universals...
and tho' they don't bind to the point of stopping the chassis
when driven/turning

They definitely still have some bind friction
when the steering is at full lock.

enough so...
that it is noticeable when rolling slow/turning
as I will need increase the throttle some
when that bind friction occurs.

not really a big deal to me
just something I need compensate for.

probably not the case...
but be sure the Chubs/knuckles were installed
on the proper sides of the axle.
If they were installed incorrectly...
then the Chub/knuckle axis may not be pivoting properly.

I've never used the HR Chubs/knuckles...
so I've no clue as to their install.

My Axial universals have survived over a years abuse...
so I'll assume that the slight amount of friction bind while turning
is of little concern.

Odd-M 08-11-2014 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric113 (Post 4860337)
Post up some pics.

I would pull the cvds and rotate them by hand to see they binding still.Sounds like they need to be cleaned up and maybe polished.

I've had them in and out several times for inspection, replaced bearing and so on. VCDs rotate free and smoothly. There's nothing "wrong" with any of the parts, they just don't match each other.

I will be buying Axial universals/cvd and try them out.

Odd-M 08-19-2014 07:46 AM

With Axial shafts everything run smooth. I believe the poor set I've got is Integy or RC4WD.

ricksonchow 08-19-2014 01:44 PM

I got the HR high steer knukles and the Axial CVDs, they do chatter but not binding on normal flat surface, only some extreme terrain